Resolve hostname of Windows Workgroup devices?

1. dervturbo

dervturbo Member

Hi folks, I just got my phone on Monday but loving it already.

Today though I was investigating a non responsive NAS drive that wasn't responding. When I went to it's location I rebooted it and thought hang on I can check it's working from here! So i fired up my terminal emulator app to ping it. However that's when I realised that linux doesn't appear to resolve windows networking hostnames. So my only option would have been to know the IP address.

Is there any workarounds for this? My phone isn't rooted.

I was wondering if there was some way to interegate a PC for it's hosts knowledge.. Even if that meant running a process on that computer which updated a list that could then be served to my phone.. but then that would only work if the phone has the abilty to then translate hostnames to ip addresses, especially since I don't have access to etc/hosts.

So imagine you are outside and want to ping your computer but don't know it's ip address but you know the computer name. How would you do it?

I realise now I could have opened up the router admin page to see attached devices but any other suggestions welcomed.

dt

Advertisement
  2. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

You can try Network Discovery in the Market. It won't do anything with, or even display the windows name, but it will give a list of all pingable addresses on the LAN. I would think a NAS device would have a static IP though.
  3. dervturbo

dervturbo Member

Thanks for that pointer.. that app will be really handy as it will at least show me the potential Ip's it could be, i'll try it on Monday.

I just realised i could probably have used the hostname in a browser to view the web interface which might work.

Thanks again
  4. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

You won't be able to use a web browser because it's going to do the same name resolution. Name resolution is a whole little process in and of itself, and whether you use a browser, command prompt or an application, they will typically use the system name resolution.

There are tons of workarounds for this, but most are a pain and the easiest is to just remember the IP address, or create a shortcut to the IP address. You should be able to set it as a static IP when you configure the NAS.
  5. dervturbo

dervturbo Member

Ah right I wasn't sure if the web interface would use a different protocol.

The device is a static IP but it's one device on my work network which has around 60 other devices and while I remember some of the IP addresses I am looking for something that will allow me to find the IP by name which I would generally know or be able to recognise.

Ideally though if the network discovery app can let me know the types of NIC in use I could identify the few devices it could be and open the web interface by IP address and that will tell me if I have the correct one. I suppose though if the device wasn't available on the network after a reboot I would still have the trouble of knowing if it's not working or I'm just not able to identify it.

Thanks for the input :)

dt
  6. dervturbo

dervturbo Member

Uncle Mike thanks for the suggestion, Network Discovery makes things much easier.. I can now pick out the few likely IP's that it could be based on the NIC type that is displayed as Most PC's are Dell/Dlink and the NAS drives etc show bufallo/Iomega/Netgear etc so I can easily narrow it down.

Binary thanks for your input too.. I'm not a linux user so wasn't really sure how hostname resolution worked.