• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [RESOLVED] Flashing CM10 | Jelly Bean 4.1.X

Alrighty, Hey everyone.

I haven't seen any threads about CM10 on desire. So I thought I'll start one and get a bit of help with it. I am running CyanogenMod 7 currently and I felt that I wanted to try out a different, yet a new Jelly Bean 4.1.1 ROM (especially with that awesome "Google's voice search" - Siri got owned! :D)

Yes yes, you may say that flashing is really easy, and it is. What I need help for is:

> Would it work for CDMA Desire's?
> Re-partition my SD card OR Wipe it (fat32) OR leave it?
> Change hboot to stock?
> Would I need to re-root?
> A2SD+ script (have done all that but yet a bit confused)
> Would I need to change my ext partition?

Here is an article which explains how to install it.

How to Upgrade HTC Desire to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean with CM10

Without extracting, copy the CyanogenMod 10 ROM file you downloaded to your device's SD card.
Power off the phone and boot into recovery. To do so, press and hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons until the device boots into Bootloader Mode.
Use the Volume keys to navigate through the options and highlight Recovery. Then select it using the Power button.
Take a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Then, choose Backup and Restore and hit Backup.
Tap Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
Choose Install ZIP from SD card.
Click Choose ZIP from SD card and select the CyanogenMod 10 ROM file.
Hit Go back.
Finally, tap Reboot system now to bootup into the CM10 based Jelly Bean OS.
Your HTC Desire phone is now installed with CyanogenMod 10 based Jelly Bean update.

As far of what I have researched, this is an unofficial mod released on the XDA forums.
GApps work, but camera doesn't work - yet. But hey, it's a new release, pretty good!
Go and have a look!!

Reactions: nasiralisg
> Would it work for CDMA Desire's?
> Re-partition my SD card OR Wipe it (fat32) OR leave it?
> Change hboot to stock?
> Would I need to re-root?
> A2SD+ script (have done all that but yet a bit confused)
> Would I need to change my ext partition?
If it's the ROM in the XDA thread my guess is that it won't work with CDMA. The general rule is that if they don't say CDMA it's probably GSM only. I saw someone ask the same question a couple of times in that thread and not get an answer (though I only read the first 9 pages).

If I'm right the rest doesn't matter, but I would leave sd and partitions, you would have to use stock hboot except there aren't custom hboots for CDMA anyway, you would have to redo the a2sd commands after flashing, and would not need to reroot.

The install instructions look ok except they seem to tell you to take a nandroid twice - I guess a failure of the author's English.

But CDMA compatability is the key, and there I am not optimistic :(

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Hadron!

I do understand that this is a new Jelly Bean ROM. I would possibly go for it at a later date when its all good. However, I have seen a different ROM's running Jelly Bean such as Nikez, SpazeDogs JB (mostly unofficial CM10).

Also, I was wondering whether there was an .apk or specific gapps I could install for the Gingerbread that has the Jelly Bean Voice Search :D - Is it possible?* What ICS or JB ROM would you go for?

*Nevermind :D

P.S. I actually forgot whether my phone is either GSM or CDMA. I live in the UK, BUT I don't use a SIM card on my desire (as it's not sim unlocked).

Upvote 0
bump :) I believe my phone is GSM - It's usable in the UK and has an SD card slot (I researched CDMA desire's don't have them).

I am browsing through these JellyBean ROM's and have decided to go with this one:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2131790
- (CURRENTLY) [MAR 07][4.2.2] PARANOIDANDROID v3.10b2
EDIT: Requires ext 4 with 512MB - Not me XD Looking for another jellybean ROM.
Another EDIT: I have decided to go with Nikez Jelly Bean 4.2.2 - Pre-alpha 1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766550

Something that has "bean" (get it? :D) holding me back from installing this, is if I have stock HBOOT. I rooted it with Revolutionary a long time ago, with Amon-Ra recovery (not sure how to change it to 4-EXT, or if there is any point).

HBOOT-6.93.1002
With -Revolutionary- at the top.

Also, I think it would be convenient if I transferred my old NANDROID backup (before I had any ROMS) and made a new current one.
My quest is to get JellyBean - Huzzah!

Upvote 0
Did you ever change your hboot after running Revolutionary? If not you will have Alpharev's equivalent which is just an S-OFF stock hboot so should be fine.

I don't think I messed with any custom hboot's, I just S-OFFed and Rooted then I flashed CM7.

Cheers for the 4EXT Recovery :D

So the final stages are to:
  • Download the ROM + Gapps DONE
  • Install 4EXT Recovery DONE
  • Backup important stuff -> Delete most apps to reduce NAND Backup size DONE
  • Create a NANDROID Backup (with 4EXT ;) ) DONE
  • Wipe/Factory Reset - Wipe cache - Wipe dalvik cache DONE
  • Flash NEW ROM - Then Flash Gapps DONE

And of course, if anything goes wrong, come back here :p

Upvote 0
Have they managed to fix the camera and volume issues yet? Not been back to that rom for quite a while but they were the issues that made me move away from it

The first time I loaded this ROM, the camera had major distortions. Once rebooted, everything looked normal. The only thing media wise is that video playback (even in YouTube) is sort of choppy and occurs once a while. I haven't heard about volume issues, but you can check out his spreadsheet of what works or not with this link:
The XDA Developer Page
OR
Spreadsheet of what works and doesn't

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones