[Resolved] "Personalize" app updater has changedSupport

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. klamech

klamech New Member

Hey. I'm getting a notification to update something, but i've never seen an update notification like it before.

It's a down-arrow in a circle; it says 'application updates available, tap to download the aplication data'.

the programs name is 'updater'.

tapping the notification shows:

application updates available
    would you like to install the following application updates?
    - Personalize (updates)
    Download via any available data connection ( )
    download via Wi-Fi or cable only (O)
    later | Detail | OK

clicking Detail shows

Personalize
    1.12MB v3.5.2219342158.4452873
    systerm security improvement

i've never seen an update presented to me like this before, and checking with avast shows that Updater has only ever downloaded 0.01MB, so i guess i've never used it before... updater can act as an account authenticator, modify secure system settings, read phone state and identity, full internet access... personalize can read phone state and identiey, use authentication credentials of an account, full internet access...

It's probably nothing, it's just that i've never been asked to update like this before, so it set alarm bells ringing; usually it just says something along the lines of 'update available for BBC iPlayer' or whatever and has a different symbol...

HTC Evo 3d, android 4.0.3 if that helps

Advertisement
  2. !on

!on Well-Known Member

Is it facebook?

(I won't have it) I read that it now has it's own update process, & that you can set it to update over wifi.
  3. klamech

klamech New Member

no, the app is called 'personalize', and has the same image as the personalize app that should be there.

it's probably nothing, it's just this odd way of trying to get me to update that's got me going 'hmm...' :)
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

HTC did a similar thing with my One X a couple of months back with the camera and people app so it's probably nothing to worry about. :)

Moved tothe Evo 3D forum, hopefully the guys here will know what the deal is.
  5. toad6386

toad6386 Well-Known Member

If you're rooted, it has been advised to NEVER to take an OTA update. If you're not, unless you're using Swype, it's an under the hood update, and should be just fine!.
  6. klamech

klamech New Member

Ya. I installed the update and everything's fine... haha, thanks all :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.