1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support [Resolved] SMS messages sometimes come out of order. anyway to sort in order?

1. porthos7

porthos7 Well-Known Member

When I receive a long text message, the order that I receive them are NEVER in order... is there a way to get them in order when they come through?

Advertisement
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

there is no way to sort them in order. they show up as the system sends them.
  3. rottonj

rottonj Well-Known Member

I have a friend who sends long text message from her iphone. Those are the only messages i usually receive out of order. Are the messages you are receiving from an iphone?
  4. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

I'd imagine this more a carrier problem than a phone problem.
    marctronixx likes this.
  5. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Well-Known Member

happens on my sprint phone, from another sprint user, on samsung galaxy s3
  6. nynvolt

nynvolt Well-Known Member

It's carrier specific I think. My girl has cricket and if I send her a long text, it comes out of order. I've never had a message do that on Verizon or AT&T.
  7. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

not carrier specific. happens across all carriers, just do a random internet search with your search engine of choice and you will find this issue across many carriers.

i think the short answer here is there is no way to get them in order on the phone side as they are coming in. the phone gets the messages as the system gets them.

sometimes i will get a "1/4" for example to mean that this is message one of 4, etc. not sure which carrier i see that from though, and even then the messages will be our of order.

sms messages are sent on an unused data channel in between voice and data packets so if there are some issues on the last mile to the handset (inter-carrier traffic, etc), this could affect SMS messages...
    KOLIO, porthos7 and rottonj like this.
  8. porthos7

porthos7 Well-Known Member

It seems to be the same from all carriers. Thanks to all of you for your responses.
    marctronixx likes this.
  9. nynvolt

nynvolt Well-Known Member

If you make it a MMS, add a photo or sound it will send as a single text.
    KOLIO likes this.