*resolved* Sync errors when setting up gmail as an exchange account

1. Displacedmic

Displacedmic Active Member

Evo 4g
    Mik3g Rom
    Android 2.3.3
    Sense 2.1

Hello all, I am a long time K9 mail user who recently flashed a new rom and was too lazy to reinstall k9, so i figured i'd just use the stock HTC mail and gmail apps until they motivated me to sit down and set up K9. To my surprise both Apps have come a LONG way since I first got my android phone. The gmail app is my favourite but since I need to have my work account on my phone and I don't really like having two mail apps I switched over to the stock HTC mail app which is getting close to perfect - especially since I learned you can set up gmail as an exchange account. The problem is it is extremely unreliable at best.

Here is how i set it up:
    mail
    new account
    exchange
    username@gmail.com
    password

server = m.google.com
    domain = google

It works for a while but eventually I get a sync error. if i go into settings and, without changing anything, press save a few times eventually it reconnects. on a reboot it connects. everything is fine but eventually it stops working until i manually go in and fiddle with it. obviously this is suboptimal.

I am using Green Power Premium which shuts off all of my radios when i am not hooked into power and then periodically turns them back on long enough for sycn/push. Naturally I suspected this to be the culprit so I turned it off but i had the same problem. i even went so far as uninstalling it but that didn't help.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just a feature that is still a work in progress?

If I can get this to work and if they can fix embedded images not showing up properly in mail and 1 or 2 other minor quirks then the stock mail app will be the best app for my needs.

As it were gmail on k9 with push enabled works fine - i just don't like the way it looks nor the lack of threaded conversations, the latter being a deal breaker for me.

thanks all!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Displacedmic

Displacedmic Active Member

Hi guys - i wanted to post a followup that thanks to some serious digging into old threads i just stumbled upon the resolution to this problem - and right as i was giving up too

solution: turn off wifi when you set up your exchange account.

i have no idea why this fixes it but it does.

Setting up Gmail as an exchange address

turn wifi radio off
    open mail
    menu > more > new account
    microsoft exchange activesync
    email address: username@gmail.com
    password
    manual setup

Email : username@gmail.com
    server address: m.google.com
    domain: google
    username: username@gmail.com
    password
    check this server requires an encrypted ssl connection
    sync what you want, when you want, click next
    rejoice
  3. yankeentx

yankeentx New Member

I tried following the directions that were listed for manual set up and continued to receive message that says that unable to connect to server.

The domain/user name are on the same line separated by a forward slash.

Entering my password and using the advised server address. Selected to use secure connection SSL.

What am I missing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.