• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Response from HTC about Light leakage....

Do you have light leakage?

• Yes

Votes: 296 63.8%
  • No

Votes: 135 29.1%
  • Dont know yet.

Votes: 33 7.1%

• Total voters
Yep thats it, and it will get brighter lol

Email and call if you can. Look at the number on the poll 42 with this issue and this thread is less than a day old. HTC needs to do something now.
No, it's not. This is light leakage:

htcevo4glightleakage.jpg

HTC EVO 4G review -- Engadget

What djrottweilerdescribed is perfectly normal.

This thread makes me wonder how many people have returned perfectly good EVO's for light leakage that doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

htcevo4glightleakage.jpg

This thread makes me wonder how many people have returned perfectly good EVO's for light leakage that doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

We need more pictures like this around so that

1. People know what it is
2. HTC knows that people have the problem

Would giving HTC a link to this thread be of any use? They'd see the poll stats, and we can all start posting pics.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I think everyone should email them about this issue, even if your not having it. It seems HTC won't acknowledge this issue (or not as quickly as it should at least) unless they receive many complaints. If you don't have light leakage, it does not mean you will never have it, and you should think about the people who are in the situation, help them out. I still do not have my evo (hopefully by this weekend) but I just emailed them about "my light leakage problem".

Upvote 0
I'm worried if I email them I'll end up with a new phone - one which is not as good, or has crappy battery life!! LOL!! I'm not that annoyed by this and like I said my case covers it so I don't care really as long as nothing worse happens. :( That said, I AM interested in filing a case with HTC or Sprint so I can prove this began before my 30 days was up, FWIW...

Upvote 0
I think everyone should email them about this issue, even if your not having it. It seems HTC won't acknowledge this issue (or not as quickly as it should at least) unless they receive many complaints. If you don't have light leakage, it does not mean you will never have it, and you should think about the people who are in the situation, help them out. I still do not have my evo (hopefully by this weekend) but I just emailed them about "my light leakage problem".
Lying, that's the ticket!

Upvote 0
My contact at Best Buy called me this morning. They got about 30 Evos in and had one with my name on it. Showed her the light leaking onto the screen and she said it looked horrible. Got a new 0003 with zero light leakage. I also get an extra 30 days (not policy) through them to swap it out if it develops any issues. How cool is that?

I had light leaking onto my screen from day one. This new one seems perfect. Only issue, I forgot to wipe my old phone and I left bank info on there. Herp Derp.

FWIW, they got all of 5 iPhone 4's in for Thursday.

Yeah, um, no.

Upvote 0

htcevo4glightleakage.jpg

If that's what you mean, then no I don't have that. I have hardware version 3. Does it really cause a problem though if you do have it? What does it affect?

Upvote 0
haha its funny only cosmetic try telling that too someone who juwst bought a ferrari dont worry about the paint peeling off its only cosmetic. the hell out of here. How about you send me another evo and not worry about getting this one with light leakage .. See how much they go for that.

Ok paint Peel is one thing especially on a Car. Paint peeling will turn to rust or body damage over time. What is light leakage going to do? Bad analogy.

From the Picture, I can see that can be more of an annoyance. I have Seido Inocase II so even if i had leakage, I wouldnt see it. I just took case off and look and I dont have that light leakage.

Hope there is a Fix for those that do have it.

But if you have a case on it, doubt you would see the light issue.

Upvote 0
I already sent an email to HTC about this thread and sent them the link. Told them that we do in fact have a problem.

No lets only select yes if we do have an issue.

The problem with light leakage is well first it should not be there. Its funny how people can saw oh its there so. Hmm you paid for something and you have all the right to be picky about the item you purchased. My wifes evo is perfect. No gap. No light leakage. Second been that there is a gap light comes out and also dust and other things can and are getting in there and probably causing the screen to move up more.

So its not just that light is leaking but it will lead to other things.

Please if you have this issue email them. Link them to this thread
HTC Contact info
TELEPHONE

UNITED STATES & CANADA (ENGLISH)

Language Hotline Days Hours
English 866-449-8358 7 days a week 6am EST to 1am EST 7 days a week

Email them @ HTC Mobile Phones - Customer Service - E-mail Support

Upvote 0
Usually?? I think it effects their egos. They think if their phone is not perfect then ....

I have some minor light leakage. My case covers it. It doesn't do a thing.

lol you pay full sticker price for a new car and buy gap insurance too.....

Its not a ego thing. Is the fact that it should not be there. And we all have the right to complaint about the issue.

Upvote 0
My phone started out as perfect (003), but over the last two weeks it has started to have some light leakage. I can also press the screen back down into the frame on the lower left corner. In my opinion, when you buy something like a "top of the line" phone...it should be nearly perfect. I'm quite anal, and slightly OCD in my everyday life, so this bothers me. I understand that I bought the phone around launch date, and there are going to be "bugs/glitches" and such that will need to be worked out...that's part of it. I simply worry that if it's gotten to this point in two weeks, what about two months? Sure, it may not get any worse, but what if it does and I'm out of my 30 day period? Am I going to get a brand new phone or a refurbished phone...when the problem started before the 30 day period ended? I would like to simply have a note made in my account with Sprint saying that the problem started "x" date...and if problem persists a new phone should be given, but I don't think that's how it works.

The good things about this phone far outweigh the bad, no doubt about it. I have absolutely fallen in love with the software, last phone was BB Storm2, and the software/capabilities are leaps and bounds better in my opinion. The speed is much faster than the BB and the apps available easily make this the best phone I've ever owned. I much prefer the size and thickness of this phone over my Storm2. I'm definitely not getting rid of this phone (EVO) any time soon, but I do want to feel like I have gotten the product that I gave my hard earned money for.

Reactions: eieio and Novoken
Upvote 0
Guys...

It's not LIGHT LEAKING FROM THE CRACK OF THE PHONE that's the problem. This is just a SYMPTOM of the problem. The problem is the screen not being completely attached properly. I don't give a crap that there's light there, but I DO give a crap that I can push my screen up and down a good few millimeters. And this is something that can definately get worse.

Upvote 0
Guys...

It's not LIGHT LEAKING FROM THE CRACK OF THE PHONE that's the problem. This is just a SYMPTOM of the problem. The problem is the screen not being completely attached properly. I don't give a crap that there's light there, but I DO give a crap that I can push my screen up and down a good few millimeters. And this is something that can definately get worse.

My screen is not popping up a single bit. I check daily too after reading so many horror stories and seeing pics. I see a smidge of light leakage but that's it, and my screen is not moving at all and I can tell it is still below the edge of the plastic housing.

Upvote 0
Also, does anyone have any idea if they'll still honor replacements after the 30 days? It just seems kinda pointless going back right now if I can't be sure the problem will be corrected.

I think if you get someone to note your account, they will. BB agreed to this for me today. In fact they told my wife to wait until they get some in with no issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones