Restarting Email without restarting phone?

Last Updated:

1. jbone

jbone New Member This Topic's Starter

Every couple of days my email stops importing messages and once I realize it, I have to reboot the phone in order for it to start working again. I've tried refreshing each account, but it doesn't do anything until I turn off the phone and then turn it on again.

Is there another way to restart the email services without restarting the phone? I have three email accounts (gmail, hotmail, and a work email), and they're either all working or all not working.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Under Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications you can find any of your applications under the All tab. In there, you might want to take a look at email and GMail and there you can force close those apps and then start them again.

A good idea may be to clear out the cache on those apps and then let them rebuild themselves.

Another option may be to clear the data (in effect start all over setting those up) - but before you get to all that, can you tell me if you're running FroYo or not, an if you got the update automatically Over The Air (aka OTA)?

If so, have you since performed a factory reset and then let all of your apps and settings synchronize again?

Or has this issue been occurring since you first got the phone?

3. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

could you use a Task Killer to kill "email" and then restart it

or

could you go into the system settings > apps > manage apps > press and end it that way to get the same effect

as for gmail.. you could manually turn on and off the "sync" settings via a widget or in the settings > accounts & sync >

4. jbone

jbone New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I tried shutting it down through the Task Manager and then re-starting it. It didn't seem to work, but I might not have let it go long enough (I had just thought of that this morning).

I am running the new update and did receive it OTA. I have not done a factory reset, but this has been happening all along (about 6 months). In fact, it used to happen with my old Blackberry as well. I suppose it might be one of my accounts gumming up things. I might try disabling them one at a time to see if the problem goes away.

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Good troubleshooting ideas there. You might also check out how your signal is going - it may be auto-shutting down when it finds limited connectivity - are you switching into and out of WiFi all the time?

LNL's idea of manually disabling sync and then re-enabling it later on may also help....