• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Restore Menu Button Via Settings/Display/Gestures & Buttons

larrytxeast

Nov 3, 2011
I have Virgin Mobile and am considering the HTC Desire 816. However, I am trying to confirm if you can set the recent apps button to access the "hard" menu button function by long-pressing it. Other HTC Desire models can do this, however I'm not getting confirmation on this with respect to the Desire 816 itself. I need this because there are apps I use which don't have the 3-period menu icon and without a menu button the particular settings just can't be changed, and I don't see any store models I can try this out on.

On other HTC Desire models, you can do this by accessing settings/display/gestures and buttons and there is a setting for the multi-tasking button where you can do this. However, I just can't confirm if the 816 has this or not. Can anyone confirm this?

I have a setting under " Media gesture" that allows apps to recognize 3-finger output gestures. It has a box to check for on or off. Don't know if this is what you need or not.

No, that's not it. It's a setting for "gestures and BUTTONS" and there you can specify that the recent-apps button, upon being pressed and held-down, will activate the hard-menu (in other words, as if you had a menu button and were pressing it). On many phones with on-screen buttons, including my LG Tribute, they do this by default. There's no setting for changing it, but it's there--press and hold down the "double-window" icon for recent apps, and it's as if you pressed a menu button. That's what I'm trying to do here on the HTC Desire 816, if I were to get one.

Upvote 0
No, that's not it. It's a setting for "gestures and BUTTONS" and there you can specify that the recent-apps button, upon being pressed and held-down, will activate the hard-menu (in other words, as if you had a menu button and were pressing it). On many phones with on-screen buttons, including my LG Tribute, they do this by default. There's no setting for changing it, but it's there--press and hold down the "double-window" icon for recent apps, and it's as if you pressed a menu button. That's what I'm trying to do here on the HTC Desire 816, if I were to get one.
The Desire816 does not have a "Gestures and Buttons" setting that I can find. As others have said, the third button only acts to bring up recently apps. However, nearly every app has its own menu button; I find that I don't miss having a dedicated button for it on the phone.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry to hear that, it removes the phone from contention. I use the menu button ALL the time on my LG Tribute (long-pressing recent apps). For instance, with Opera Mini, you can hide the navigation bar and just call it up when needed using the menu button, this keeps the navigation bar out of the way when not needed and provides more screen real estate for reading page content. With this phone I'd have to leave the navigation bar on permanently. I know the screen is larger, even so I'd rather maximize what's provided.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry to hear that, it removes the phone from contention. I use the menu button ALL the time on my LG Tribute (long-pressing recent apps). For instance, with Opera Mini, you can hide the navigation bar and just call it up when needed using the menu button, this keeps the navigation bar out of the way when not needed and provides more screen real estate for reading page content. With this phone I'd have to leave the navigation bar on permanently. I know the screen is larger, even so I'd rather maximize what's provided.
Given that the recent apps button is on the navbar, please explain how long pressing the recent apps button to act as a menu button on the hidden navbar makes the navbar appear.

Maybe it's just me but that doesn't make sense.

Meanwhile, to get the navbar up on full screen browsers, a very short swipe up from the very bottom works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones