• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Restore original IMEI

duerer

Lurker
Apr 25, 2015
I was working in a remote part of the Gambia and had the phone unlocked for a local SIM. When I returned to the UK my original Vodafone SIM worked fine for about a week. After an automatic update I got the "Not registered on network" message. Looking into it I noticed that the IMEI had changed. This seems to be a common practise in Africa. Vodafone help was no help at all in restoring the original IMEI and suggested a new motherboard. Is there a way to get the proper IMEI back on the phone?

I am a USA Verizon user, and once had a phone with that kind of problem.

The Customer Support people had me do some special "Hidden Menu" entries to get me into the inner workings of the phone. Once there, they had me enter the IMEI that came with the phone to match the serial number on it. It was a phone that I had bought after market somewhere.

was a lot of work, there were a lot of other entries that had to be changed as once you start doing it manually, you must program the entire phone manually.

I think maybe 1.5 hours on a different phone talking to them got it done.

Reactions: duerer
Upvote 0
Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately Vodafone UK is pretty useless beyond the advice to take the battery in and out.

Since it is illegal to change the IMEI number, I am not surprised at their lack of interest. See...

Re-programming

"1(1) A person commits an offence if:

• he changes a unique device identifier,
    • he interferes with the operation of a unique device identifier,
    • he offers or agrees to change, or interfere with the operation of, a unique device identifier, or
    • he offers or agrees to arrange for another person to change, or interfere with the operation of, a unique device identifier."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones