• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Restore SMS from SD card?

amy218

Lurker
Sep 28, 2012
Restore SMS from SD card?

I had a HTC Sensation backed up all my music pics videos and sms messages using ES file explorer bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 restored everything except sms messages everytime i try it says 'please download an application that can open this file?'

I just backed up everything using ES and they are there in a folder called SMS backup
Sorry, but I still don't know what "just backed up" means. You used ES File Explorer to copy the database to a folder? Or did you use its App Manager to backup the messaging app? Or something else?

I'm asking just because if I don't know what is actually backed up I can't work out what is needed to restore it (or whether it's possible). And from my playing with ES it isn't obvious to me what was done.

Upvote 0
As we already asked several times, how did you backup? Did you use a function on the app? Or did you just look for the SMS folder and copied it over? If you did the latter, then it should be pretty obvious why it did not work. HTC Sense and Samsung TouchWiz does things differently, and even if they're both Android they use different SMS apps. Its the same way why Handcent won't be able to restore Go SMS Pro's backups, because they're different apps. You need to use a generic SMS Backup app if you need to.

Upvote 0
This is what I fear. But I don't know for sure what you have done, hence cannot be certain that this is the problem. We need more detail about how you backed them up using ES - just saying you backed them up using ES doesn't tell us enough.

In any case, do you still have the HTC? The simplest solution will be to back them up from there using an SMS backup app from the market (or MyBackup, which can also do this), copy the backup file to the Samsung, install the same backup app and restore them on the new phone. Then you can forget about the other backup. What you can't do is rely on the HTC or Samsung apps to be able to read each other's backups.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones