• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Restoring SMS using Titanium backup/ My backup root

I recently switched from gb 2.3.4 to cm 7.2 rc 5.7.
Before doing that, I backed up all my app app and data using Titanium backup as well as My Backup Root. I have been able to restore everything except my sms because Titanium backup shows that I have no backup for sms application. When I restore using My backup root, it says restore complete but my sms list is still empty.

What should I do? I know I should have used SMS backup and restore or some other app, that was my mistake. But I thought titanium would be enough. May be it's because the messaging app in cm7 is different than that in the stock gb in galaxy mini. Can anyone please help.....

I wouldn't pursue it personally. SMS is system data and restoring stock GB data to CM would IMO be a bad idea. I'm not sure what its called in CM but in most android versions it typically called [SMS, mms, apn] storage or similar. The problem here is that even if it is backed up, its probably confused where to restore it. And for good reason I'm afraid. I think you might be dealing with apples and oranges in this case.

If it were extremely important to get them back, I would nand restore to your previous rom if available or if it was truly stock, try to find a stock rooted rom. Then restore the Titanium Backup to retrieve the texts, then look at an alternative SMS backup plan although I'd still have to wonder if there are glitches with various methods when the rom framework changes so drastically. Anyway, if it worked, then you could nand back to your CM and restore via the new tool you decided upon. So in other words...go back in time just slightly to make things right, then return to your present config.

Reactions: PraGalaxy713
Upvote 0
I wouldn't pursue it personally. SMS is system data and restoring stock GB data to CM would IMO be a bad idea. I'm not sure what its called in CM but in most android versions it typically called [SMS, mms, apn] storage or similar. The problem here is that even if it is backed up, its probably confused where to restore it. And for good reason I'm afraid. I think you might be dealing with apples and oranges in this case.

If it were extremely important to get them back, I would nand restore to your previous rom if available or if it was truly stock, try to find a stock rooted rom. Then restore the Titanium Backup to retrieve the texts, then look at an alternative SMS backup plan although I'd still have to wonder if there are glitches with various methods when the rom framework changes so drastically. Anyway, if it worked, then you could nand back to your CM and restore via the new tool you decided upon. So in other words...go back in time just slightly to make things right, then return to your present config.

Ok then I guess I'll just have to let it go. I am not willing to go back to stock and nand restore back just to get those messages back and I don't have any friends with rooted samsung galaxy mini.
I was just hoping there was an apk of the stock messaging app that comes with the stock rom but oh well....
BTW it is possible to restore all messages through SMS backup pro app without any gliches even though the ROM framework has changed. I had an old backup of it and it was restored perfectly. I should have made a backup using this app just before going for cm7.........

Upvote 0
Ok then I guess I'll just have to let it go. I am not willing to go back to stock and nand restore back just to get those messages back and I don't have any friends with rooted samsung galaxy mini.
I was just hoping there was an apk of the stock messaging app that comes with the stock rom but oh well....
BTW it is possible to restore all messages through SMS backup pro app without any gliches even though the ROM framework has changed. I had an old backup of it and it was restored perfectly. I should have made a backup using this app just before going for cm7.........

You can try this app to backup SMS or calls list or anything else in yoru stock rom. It will backup them to your PC which you can later restore to your CyanogenMod from PC using the same app.
MyPhoneExplorer - A Powerful Phone Management Software.

Give it a try, most probably it will do what you are looking for. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones