Restoring stock rom after flashing with ROM Manager

Last Updated:

1. wgbeatty

wgbeatty Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I rooted my phone using Universal Androot (worked perfectly) and then proceeded to install ROM Manager to flash a custom ROM to my Ally. I used the Flash ClockworkMod Recovery first (sucessfully) then used Backup Current ROM to backup the stock (V8) ROM (sucessfully). I then proceeded to install the Velocity 0.1.1 ROM (sucessfully).

I've searched here a bit, and am unclear as to the process to restore my stock ROM using ROM Manager. I believe it would work as follows?:

Use Manage and Restore Backups. Select backup I made, and then restore.

If I wanted to un-root, I could then just use Universal Androot to un-root the phone (although I havent tried that part yet).

Love the ROM, just curious how to go back if I need to.

Advertisement
  2. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

3. wgbeatty

Thanks for the input. I'm curious if anyone has restored using ROM Manager though. I did backup my stock ROM before trying out another one.

4. GRZLA

GRZLA Well-Known Member

If you backed it up then why haven't you attempted to restore? I fel like you made a thread and answered your own question.

5. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

The one issue I have with restoring your backup that you make is the LG signature for the phone might not get backed up (I may be wrong), and you wont be getting OTA updates, thats why I prefer a new ROM flash directly from LG.

6. wgbeatty

Just curious if anyone here had done it - that's all. Vman - what you're saying makes sense. Guess I may just do it soon and post the results here for others.

Thanks.

7. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

I think thats right, cause i restored my backup and the OTA V8 update failed when i tried to install it over my original backup.

8. Blackhawk1969

Blackhawk1969 Well-Known Member

I searched and didnt find anything that answered this question i have...I'm Very new to Rooting a phone, What i want to do is Root my phone.. keep the old rom as is without flashing or overclocking.(Just want to Customize the METROPCS startup and add a few apps that require root) so my question is... when you root the phone does it erase the stock ROM? or does it require you to flash a new ROM for some reason? or can I just Root my phone and keep using it as is? I have the LG Optimus M android 2.2.1 and I was going to root using Z4root, root explorer, and adroid mate.

9. verizonuser13

verizonuser13 Well-Known Member

I'm going to save you from all of the trolling on the forum and tell you that you're not in the right phone area. This is for the LG Ally, not your phone. Look for the right forum then ask the people there.

10. Blackhawk1969

Blackhawk1969 Well-Known Member

Thanks.. not sure why this forum came up.. i typed Rooting an LG optimus M 2.2.1
    off to find out what i can now..thx again