• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Restoring stock rom after flashing with ROM Manager

Hey all,

I rooted my phone using Universal Androot (worked perfectly) and then proceeded to install ROM Manager to flash a custom ROM to my Ally. I used the Flash ClockworkMod Recovery first (sucessfully) then used Backup Current ROM to backup the stock (V8) ROM (sucessfully). I then proceeded to install the Velocity 0.1.1 ROM (sucessfully).

I've searched here a bit, and am unclear as to the process to restore my stock ROM using ROM Manager. I believe it would work as follows?:

Use Manage and Restore Backups. Select backup I made, and then restore.

If I wanted to un-root, I could then just use Universal Androot to un-root the phone (although I havent tried that part yet).

Love the ROM, just curious how to go back if I need to.

The one issue I have with restoring your backup that you make is the LG signature for the phone might not get backed up (I may be wrong), and you wont be getting OTA updates, thats why I prefer a new ROM flash directly from LG.

I think thats right, cause i restored my backup and the OTA V8 update failed when i tried to install it over my original backup.

Upvote 0
I searched and didnt find anything that answered this question i have...I'm Very new to Rooting a phone, What i want to do is Root my phone.. keep the old rom as is without flashing or overclocking.(Just want to Customize the METROPCS startup and add a few apps that require root) so my question is... when you root the phone does it erase the stock ROM? or does it require you to flash a new ROM for some reason? or can I just Root my phone and keep using it as is? I have the LG Optimus M android 2.2.1 and I was going to root using Z4root, root explorer, and adroid mate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones