• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Restoring with Nandroid after Froyo

OK...I am new at this so please bear with me.
Situation: I have rooted, installed the deoxd Froyo. Before doing that I did make a Nandroid backup. I also have Titanium and I did make a backup before I installed Froyo.

When saving contacts I saved them to phone, not to gmail, not knowing any better... (I've only had the phone a few weeks.)
So...I went to my gmail account, nothing is backed up, not my calendar, not my contacts. Contacts I can deal with, calendar...I need that.
I have Lookout. Tried to restore pics, and contacts from that. Doesn't seem to be working. They are on the website...but after saying it's restored, nothing shows up on my phone.

SO my question is...can or should I do a nandroid restore and will that give me everything back so I can do a better backup and make sure everything is backed up? (yeah I got a little excited to install Froyo and forgot to check them all.) I understand the whole "snapshot/image" thing so I am guessing that is a yes...
My bigger concern is, will I have any problem then going thru and reinstalling the Froyo again? (I used this post - worked perfectly! Update to 2.2 Froyo and Have ROOT the easy way! - Android Forums )

So once I reinstall the image from nandroid, can I just run thru the directions again, after I have the proper back ups in place? (and also if there is some kjind of backup that I am not listing, please let me know...I can't seem to find anything in Titanium that restores contacts and pictures. I'm seeing just apps.)

I have seen several different opinions on if you can restore once you updated the radio?

Please let me know if I am on the right track here.

I believe you can just do the nandroid restore, but the newer radio will remain. But thats ok. I had the newer radio before i had Froyo. Just go back and sink your contacts and calander with gmail and you should be good. As far as getting Froyo back, you could probably do a nandroid back up now and once you go back and sync, restore the nandroid from froyo.
But if I was you I would nandroid restore, sync contacts and calendar, then install the Virtuous Rom. It's basically the stock update Rom with a few apps removed. I'm running version 2.0 with no issues.

A clean install is always better.

Upvote 0
yeah you know I thought I got the cleaned up ROM but it still has alot of the unecessary crap on it. so maybe I grabbed the wrong one. Can you give me the link you used so I can grab a good one?
so is there an app that backs up pics and apps and calendar and contacts? everything? I actually kind of like appsaver and then just manually reinstalling what I want (but then still having the .apk on my sd card.) I've tried so many apps, I can't keep track of them all and what does what. I think thats how I ended up with my calendar not backed up. lol
So far I think I'm needing titanium or appsaver for apps...google for calendar, and then listables, for my contacts. I'm disppointed that all Lookout backed up was my google contacts. I dont use those. Which is why using google for my contacts is kind of useless for me.
I'm starting to see myself using 4 diff apps for my stuff...which sucks.
Thankfully Lookout got my pics backed up...I couldnt get them to the phone but I could download them to my computer.
Kind of messy.

Upvote 0
I use titanium backup for apps and gmail for contacts. After a rom install and signing back into gmail all my numbers get synced to my phone. Do you have a gmail account? Its the best way, I think, to back up contacts.If you don't have one its worth getting one just for this purpose.

Pics- Aren't all your pics saved to your sd card? If they are, you don't have to worry. If you dont have an sd card, you have to get one. It's essential! Anything saved on card is untouched by rom installs and such.

I'm running version 2.0 from this thread here> [ROM] Virtuous v2.5 (9/1/10): Stock Sense/Froyo v3.21.605.1 w/Fixes & Enhancements - xda-developers
Thanks to rmk40 for this!

Edit: You could use appbrain for backing up apps too. Alot of users do it that way.

Reactions: willowave
Upvote 0
Since you backed up with Titanium before the flash, you should be able to get your contacts/calendar info back. Here's my thought:

Menu > Batch > Restore all apps with data (Don't actually run it yet)

Then deselect all. Recheck only [Calendar] Storage and [Contacts/Calls]. Select the data only button. Run the batch operation.

I'm assuming you're not wanting to restore a bunch of settings in your transition from 2.1 to 2.1 to avoid conflicts which is wise. However, I don't think you'll have any problem moving data from a couple apps.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys.
I actually have already started the restore, but this is all stuff I need to know cuz I would like to try some different ROMS.
I figured there was a way to do the calendar but I was just missing it. Thanks Iowa.
I have noticed a few times today (I've only had the new Froyo for a day) that apps I have installed keep disappearing. AppBrain and Barcode Scanner just disappeared off the page. So I think I will go back to my old ROM and make sure my backups are in order and then try the Virtuous rom.
Duh at my pictures being on the sd card. I should have known that. lol Yeah I do have an sd card, I got a nice 16 gig one. I always end up getting more than I need.
Do you guys know if you can rename the nand backups? I'd like to make a basics of a few diff ROMs and then make backups so I can mess with stuff.

Upvote 0
Do you guys know if you can rename the nand backups? I'd like to make a basics of a few diff ROMs and then make backups so I can mess with stuff.

I would recommend you don't. It's been tried and I know there are certain limitations that can cause recognition issues but can't remember the specifics so take it with a grain of salt. What I've done is make a folder on the PC's desktop and then make a .txt file in there. Whenever you put backups in the folder, make a little note in the text file about rom/kernel/radio etc and it's stability or lack thereof. You'll want to move some of the backups to the PC now and again because they take up a HUGE amount of card space. Then you still have them if needed.

I do the same thing with other, important contents on my SD card including pics and Titanium Backup contents. SD cards have been know to shoot craps once in awhile, better safe than sorry.

I got rid of all other backup apps and use Titanium for everything. Once you get onto it, you can do pretty much everything with it and then some.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones