• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Restrict data usage?

Snow_Fox

Android Expert
Mar 31, 2010
I Remember hearing about an app that was suppose to allow you to restrict data usage on android phones.

Essentially I don't want a data plan. (Don't try to reason with me here, I have my own reasons and logic for wanting to do what I want to do)

I am looking at a phone that won't require a data plan because, my provider won't have the imei.

What apps can I use to make sure no data get used?

Essentially only data I want to be allowed in or out besides calls/text would be data over a wifi network.

Just pull out your simcard when you don't want to use mobile data, that is the simplest way, although you might end up losing the card!

Juice Defender can help you manage your data usage.

Problem is that mobile data is needed for SMS, MMS and phone calls, so any control you exert on mobile data could affect your ability to receive SMS, MMS and/or phone calls.

Upvote 0
Problem is that mobile data is needed for SMS, MMS and phone calls, so any control you exert on mobile data could affect your ability to receive SMS, MMS and/or phone calls.

I certainly don't know everything, but I've never heard of a phone that requires data for SMS or phone calls. It has been my experience that MMS requires mobile data though.

Also, Android 2.2 on my Droid includes the ability to turn off mobile data in the settings. I can't say this is true for all devices running 2.2, but there are plenty of devices with this capability.

Upvote 0
I Remember hearing about an app that was suppose to allow you to restrict data usage on android phones.

Essentially I don't want a data plan. (Don't try to reason with me here, I have my own reasons and logic for wanting to do what I want to do)

I am looking at a phone that won't require a data plan because, my provider won't have the imei.

What apps can I use to make sure no data get used?

Essentially only data I want to be allowed in or out besides calls/text would be data over a wifi network.

This is exactly how I use my Desire phone, and to be sure I had no inadvertent data usage I actually had my carrier, Telus Canada, apply a data block to my phone number. I know there are also settings in the phone itself, but I really didn't want any rude surprises on my bill.
WiFi access has been more than adequate for my phone needs; I have a Tasker profile to sync when connected to WiFi.
If I decide I want data available (ie travelling on holiday) a quick phone call to my provider and I can purchase a data add-on, which I can later cancel again and return to block.
Works for me.

Upvote 0
@mike believe it or not, your phone works entirely by sending data back and forth... which is why I thinK "unlimit data" is sort of a rip off.. companies charge us all 3 times for what is arguably the same service XD

@rose

I'm glad there are people out there who understand my issue.

I just have to decide between the huawei ideos and milestone xt701 now.

I was really hoping to get a mechanical keyboard for my comp... if I go for that I have to go for huawei idoes because I can't afford a mech keyboard and the xt701 x.x

THe only problem is the ideos doesn't have 3g bands for my carrier meaning I will be limited to edge for receiving sms and mms.. which can be slow if someone sends a vidya.

With that said.. the huawei has stock android... *drool* and I know the tmo version has swype.. so i should be able to get that on the idoes as well...

On the flipside.. xt701 has bigger screen, 3g bands and I wouldn't have to worry when people send me pictures..

if only I could find a place that sells htc desire new for 300 $

with that said I am beginning to believe there is a conspiracy to keep the htc desire with my carriers 3g bands from ever getting into america.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones