Retail Desire but can't get 2.2?

Last Updated:

1. desire82

desire82 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

I just bought a retail SIM free Desire from Amazon which arrived this morning. First thing I did after the battery was charged was check for the 2.2 update but it keeps telling me there are no updates available for my phone. I contacted HTC who told me I would have to wait for my network provider to release the update but I thought since it was an unbranded retail Desire that I should be able to update now?

It's currently running 1.21.405.2 which after a quick google mission does confirm that it is an unbranded retail Desire so does anyone have any idea why I can't get the 2.2 update?

Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. Stavut

Stavut Member

A few people are having the same issue on other forums, with a new unbranded phone that is unable to receive the update, my guess is that the servers might be down for the moment, but hopefully up and running soon enough.

3. desire82

Aahh ok, thanks for the reply. Was starting to think it was just me! Hopefully it will get sorted soon.

4. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

What country are you in?

5. desire82

I'm in the UK

6. desire82

did yet another manual update check and now the update is downloading as i type! just thought id post this as a heads up for anyone else who's had the same problem to try checking now. thanks for your help :)

7. Scoobydoo81

Scoobydoo81 New Member

I'm having the same problem i think.

I appear to be running version 1.15.405.4 which i think is an unbranded version yet i have no updates available.

Do i need to download it online and copy the installation files over via the USB?

8. desire82

From what I can tell from searchin 1.15.405.4 does seem to be the unbranded firmware so you should be able to do an OTA update. Probably a stupid question but have you tried the manual update? (Menu --> Settings --> About Phone --> System Software Updates --> Check Now)

9. Scoobydoo81

Scoobydoo81 New Member

That's what i've been trying. I am on a mobile connection rather then wifi, would that make any difference?

Just moved house and dont get my broadband on till Thursday.

I spoke to my carrier (Virgin) and they said I would need the update from HTC and not them.

10. Sporty

Sporty Member

try setting the date a month ahead.............

11. Scoobydoo81

Scoobydoo81 New Member

I gave that a try but it made no difference.

12. 1981

1981 Well-Known Member

same problem with me. sometimes it shows up the 90mb froyo file for download. but have not been able to complete the download process in the last 2days. the download stops sometime during the process saying there isnt sufficent memory or stuff. but i have about 60mb in phone memory and 2.5gb free in the memory card. have tried turning off and reinserting the memory card couple times already. no use. m trying another episode of download as i type this one, around 10% now. the download speed is too slow. but i heard someone in someother thread saying download for him took just 2mts. m confused.

also, on few occasions the last couple days it shows phone is up to date when i try updating.

13. ziffos

ziffos Well-Known Member

Definately wait for your Broadband to be up and running so that you have Wifi.

Then do master reset on your Desire.
    See if you are then "offered" the update.
    If no then do another master reset.
    The see again if you are "offered" the update.

If still no then try the manual update.

(The reset "syndrome" worked for me)

14. 1981

1981 Well-Known Member

thanks. i am using a wifi for download. its slow even thn. is it not normal??

also wat is a manual update??
    master reset deletes everything you have done till now rite?

15. desire82

Hhmm when I finally got the offer to update it took about 2 mins to download here too, that was over WiFi.... Weird that everyone is having different experiences and HTC don't seem to be offering much help. The first message I sent I had a reply within 10 mins, replied straight away and had nothing since and that was at 11am this morning. Maybe try giving their helpline a call, although I think you'll get the same standard "when you can update you'll be prompted by your phone" reply. Might be worth a try tho, maybe they are having server issues or something.

16. desire82

Just had this from HTC.....

"Oh ok, so if it s an unbranded phone the message will come from HTC, if you didn t recieve anything at the end of the week let us know, but normally you ll recive it"

So might be worth giving them a shout if you haven't managed to update by the end of the week.

17. bobber

bobber New Member

Hi,

Got similar issues.
    Retail phone, had the update available on Monday but it was not convenient, tried to do it this morning and not available. :(
    Hopefully back soon so I can install it.