• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Retrieving your MSL (ENABLE WIN 7 HIDDEN ADMIN)

Yeah, Im to the point where Im adding the new port. But for some reason it shows it as a LGE AndroidNet USB Serial Port. It will show up in QPST as the correct COM# which happens to be 10. It just says its busy and/or not working properly.

I also have the same build, kernal, and version as you do.

Do you have any other development software running in the background? DFS? LGNPST? CDMA? LGMobile support tool?

If you run any other non qpst programs and it maintains a connection to the phone all other connections made should fail. take a look in the lower right hand corner to see if there is a round pink lg icon and then exit the program

unplug the usb then replug it back in and try again.

Also as this just happened to me, recheck the com port number as windows reassigns the numbers quite often.

Reactions: ktb83
Upvote 0
Also a new development, if you get the driver to detect the phone, but it is on a com port that is busy or not working, you can set it to a NEW com port.

From Device manager (control panel)
Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM port number

Select one that is not "in use" though if you're on windows 7, it lies. The ones that are "in use" are not always ridden with conflicts.

Reactions: ktb83
Upvote 0
I didnt even install the update tool. All I installed was the drivers. And its still not working. Tried all ports up to like 60 from 10 (which was the default.) Is it possible the different name has something to do with it? Mine is listed as "LGE AndroidNet USB Serial Port". I also dont have any other development tools. Is it possible I have the wrong drivers?

Upvote 0
I didnt even install the update tool. All I installed was the drivers. And its still not working. Tried all ports up to like 60 from 10 (which was the default.) Is it possible the different name has something to do with it? Mine is listed as "LGE AndroidNet USB Serial Port". I also dont have any other development tools. Is it possible I have the wrong drivers?

That's the correct name. Driver wise, it is possible.
Did you grab the USB drivers from LG LGVM696 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA

I have tried this a few times, but I keep getting the corrupted file (all zeroes and F)

Any idea on how to proceed?

First, do you see LGE AndroidNet USB SerialPort under device managers when you start in download mode?

Also did you install the USB drivers from http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGVM696

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok, ever thing seems to work. I've got the drivers, my phone shows up as com 3,qpst sees it, I'm running every thing as administrator, memory debug seems to read it. However, when I look at the file it's still just either...... Or yyyyyy's. I cannot count the times I've re-installed the drivers and started over. I'm missing something but I can't figure it out.

I wonder if I take my battery out and sdcard before I put phone in download mode? That's about the only thing I haven't tried.

I've also got sdk and adb shell set up on my windoze 7 64 .

One thing that does happen that concerns me is when I put phone in download mode two lg CDMA modem drivers attempt to install. One does, the other doesn't.

Upvote 0
One thing that does happen that concerns me is when I put phone in download mode two lg CDMA modem drivers attempt to install. One does, the other doesn't.

can you screenshot this or write down what it is trying to detect?

otherwise the one thing i can think of is actually updating your computer's own usb drivers.

I'll try to use another system and will see if I can duplicate this issue as it seems to happen a lot.

Upvote 0

otherwise the one thing i can think of is actually updating your computer's own usb drivers.

I'll try to use another system and will see if I can duplicate this issue as it seems to happen a lot.

I'll send you a screen shot this afternoon after work, and I'll try to update my usb drivers. Thanks for the help.

When I plug phone in for down load mode a bubble pops up "installing drivers" . There are two "lg CDMA modem drivers in the bubble. One installs the other says failed

Upvote 0
If that's the case you need to install LG Mobile support tool not simply the usb model drivers.

I confirmed this on my parent's machine whereas mine seems to be immune to this (possibly because I already had mobile support tool installed)

Click Install usb driver on the right after the mobile support tools install, then choose Virgin Mobile, then LGVM696 from the list. It will update the system with the correct drivers.

After that unplug the phone then replug it (it should remain in download mode) and look on control panel -> device manager
under ports you should now see it correctly displayed.

Reactions: dobbs69
Upvote 0
If that's the case you need to install LG Mobile support tool not simply the usb model drivers.

I confirmed this on my parent's machine whereas mine seems to be immune to this (possibly because I already had mobile support tool installed)

Click Install usb driver on the right after the mobile support tools install, then choose Virgin Mobile, then LGVM696 from the list. It will update the system with the correct drivers.

After that unplug the phone then replug it (it should remain in download mode) and look on control panel -> device manager
under ports you should now see it correctly displayed.

That may be my problem. I already have lg mobile support tool but it always shows phone disconnected. I'll try after work. Keeping fingers crossed !

Upvote 0
I'll send you a screen shot this afternoon after work, and I'll try to update my usb drivers. Thanks for the help.

When I plug phone in for down load mode a bubble pops up "installing drivers" . There are two "lg CDMA modem drivers in the bubble. One installs the other says failed

I think the same thing has been happening to me as well. I'll install the mobile support stuff when i get home and see if it helps

Upvote 0

here's screenshot sorry, tring to figure out how to show my screen shot

Upvote 0
EDIT
*curses* ok I lost the edit of my first post but in a gist, try to double check your installation and also turn off LG Mobile support tool as only ONE program can connect to your phone at one time. Whenever you get a com not existing or a conflict Remember this! It's crucial for development though you'd learn it by trial and error along the way

===================================

the png states invalid link.

let me double check on my parent's computer.

they have the most un-updated software and drivers of any system I know. If there are issues they will have it :p

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    229.1 KB · Views: 471
Upvote 0
yea it's likely a driver conflict. I'm going to work on redoing my guide. I lost my lengthy half hour edit, but in short, I think it's a driver conflict and also based on how damn fussy the program and phone connection is, it could also be a program connecting to the phone more than once.

I'll write a detailed how to asap, but to try for now is to install lg mobile support tools, click "insall usb driver" from the support tools software as they are not the same. Note: LG has not figured out how to extract their head from it's ass and just create one simple software installation without redundant names. And then AFTER installing, after rebooting, go and look in your taskbar, right click on any ugly pink lg icons and quit the program. And also exit out of any LG Support tools, or dfs, or cdma, quit anything that uses your phone.

If you do NOT do this, it may come up with a com port conflict and you will NOT know why.

Reactions: dobbs69
Upvote 0
EDIT
*curses* ok I lost the edit of my first post but in a gist, try to double check your installation and also turn off LG Mobile support tool as only ONE program can connect to your phone at one time. Whenever you get a com not existing or a conflict Remember this! It's crucial for development though you'd learn it by trial and error along the way

===================================

the png states invalid link.

let me double check on my parent's computer.

they have the most un-updated software and drivers of any system I know. If there are issues they will have it :p

Agreed, trying to learn will I can! Thanks for all your help!

Upvote 0
Uggghh, whenever I go to install the LG Mobile support tool, I click it, it opens, then the status bar goes about 5% and it stops. Then a screen pops up that tells me to check my internet connection and try again. My internet is fine(I'm obviously using it right now), and I turned off my firewall and anti-virus. I opened the port in my router and that didn't work either -_- I can do everything else though. I see it in the port, and when I do the debug I can click on the unframed mem reads. But despite the fact that my ebi0_cs0.bin file is 256MB big, there is no MSL in it. It's just a bunch of y's.

Upvote 0
When going into download mode and those 3 drivers are installing, LGE AndroidNet USB Modem keeps failing. Is that not one of the two drivers that pop up in zip files after installing the drivers with LGMobile Support Tool or just forget about those two zipped ones?

Edit: Just found it showing up under Modems in Device Manager even though it says it failed. Restarting computer before heading any further.

Nope, zipped up turns out 750KB...

Upvote 0
Note that in the LG SUPPORT TOOL you MUST CLICK "Install USB Drivers". Then you select "Virgin Mobile USA" as the Carrier, and double click"LGVM696" from the list. Install the drivers and you will note a download progress. If it errors out, you must restart the program and click on install usb drivers a second time.

For some reason, when I click "Install USB Driver", the Mobile Support Tool does absolutely nothing. I can go through the menus and download it, but then it doesn't install, and I have no idea where it's downloading the file to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones