• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Return 2.1 Eris to Verizon

I don't know. As I said I'm still in a trial period, I am new to android, and like many of you I just want to enjoy a decent phone with a stable OS. Even my old blackberry storm had features built into the OS that the droid does not. First thing to come to mind, swiping photos in the gallery. 2.1 has it, 2.0 doesn't. I like the droid for many reasons, but I like Verizon less and less each day. I would rather have a phone that can do it all from the start, and get updates more quickly, rather than waiting for third fourth and fifth party corporates to care about their customers. Maybe I am willing to be the guy to help the rest of you out who are waiting. Let verizon lose a few customers over this, they might prepare better next time and care more about these things.
And this is related to the Eris how?

Upvote 0
You are only allowed 1 return in the 30 days. So if you "tried" the Droid, then the Droid is yours for the balance of the contract. You wouldn't have had the chance to get the Eris back. So in that matter you are probably lucky.

You really think so bjanow? Cuz I found a way around all of this. I just called in 611 and told them I can't make it to the vz store, and they offered to send the Droid that way. You really think the Eris is better? Most of the employees have the droid, and I know i know, they're idiots most of the time, but I would think that should say something to anyone debating between the eris and droid.

Upvote 0
You really think so bjanow? Cuz I found a way around all of this. I just called in 611 and told them I can't make it to the vz store, and they offered to send the Droid that way. You really think the Eris is better? Most of the employees have the droid, and I know i know, they're idiots most of the time, but I would think that should say something to anyone debating between the eris and droid.
I know they would send you one, but my point was that once you swapped out to the Droid you couldn't return it under the 30 day guarantee. (I tried it, believe me)
As for Eris vs Droid, I like the footprint of the Eris and hated the slid out keyboard. It's a waste of good plastic and not necessary IMO. The touch screen is very efficient and with error correction hardly a need to look. I think the reason the employees have the Droid is because they can. They might have thought the faster processor would be beneficial not realizing the weight of that monstrosity would make lifting weights unnecessary. (just kidding Droid users, chill out)

Upvote 0
You can "doubt" all you want. I was just letting the fellow know my situation, which just happened today. The verizon store employees who "dont have a clue", noticed I had 2.1 right away when he went to wipe my phone. He also said I wasn't the first person, and that he was saving me the trouble of being charged for trying to get one over on them. Even though I know as well as you do that the phone will be fine when the official update comes out. So I dont see why they care so much. But the fact remains, they do. Anyway, just wanted to give the guy a heads up from someone who has been through it.. not just speculating.

And I'm also not saying that he wont be able to get away with it. I'm just saying that I didn't.
you dont take a hacked phone in for warranty work period. end of story.... cant imagine who the F thinks they can.....ridiculous. sry but damn man really?????

Upvote 0
you dont take a hacked phone in for warranty work period. end of story.... cant imagine who the F thinks they can.....ridiculous. sry but damn man really?????

Not sure what you mean by a hacked phone. The software was from HTC, and it has their signatures all through it. Its not "hacked" software. So your opinion is worthless. But thanks for your helpful input.

And BTW, The guy from the VZW store contacted me today. Everything is fine with my replacement.

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean by a hacked phone. The software was from HTC, and it has their signatures all through it. Its not "hacked" software. So your opinion is worthless. But thanks for your helpful input.

And BTW, The guy from the VZW store contacted me today. Everything is fine with my replacement.
you know darn well what i mean . TAMPERED WITH..........

Upvote 0
I know they would send you one, but my point was that once you swapped out to the Droid you couldn't return it under the 30 day guarantee. (I tried it, believe me)

I'll have to chime in "This" also. I originally had bought an Imagio for myself and a Eris for my wife, I turned in the Imagio for an Eris for myself and was also told that it was a one-time exchange, and that I would not be able to exchange the Eris, even if it was within the 30 days.

Upvote 0
I am on this forum all day and love it! I have not posted much as any question I have usually can be found by searching. I read some posters talk about the BB "warranty". I wish I would have done this. I did however get the warranty from Verizon. This covers lost/stolen/smashed phones. I can't remember what I would have to pay for a replacement but that is always an idea. If I run into a situation where they would not return my phone and I'd be looking at a broken phone (whatever the reason may be) or paying full price for a new phone...I'd make sure the phone fell while I was "ridding my Harley" and never find it. Don't talk to me about the honesty thing...I pay for warranties and never use them. If a situation arose where I needed it I would use it. That's what they are there for.

PS-Love the forum!

Reactions: Jmtegra
Upvote 0
+1 levi.

Verizon sticks it to us every month with our cell bills. If i have to lie to get a new free phone, I'm gonna do it and dont really care what most of these people on this forum think.

That being said, I've never done it, but if it came down to it, I'd def say it fell off my harley to save $300 bucks. no question. I also pay every month for insurance, and have never used it. Am I entitled? YOU BET.

Upvote 0
+1 levi.

Verizon sticks it to us every month with our cell bills. If i have to lie to get a new free phone, I'm gonna do it and dont really care what most of these people on this forum think.

That being said, I've never done it, but if it came down to it, I'd def say it fell off my harley to save $300 bucks. no question. I also pay every month for insurance, and have never used it. Am I entitled? YOU BET.

And i've been paying for car insurance for YEARS!!! no claims. I think i'll torch my car because "I'm entitled".

Reactions: Jmtegra
Upvote 0
+1 levi.

I watched a gentleman at a Verizon store take his phone and run over it in the parking lot with his car after the store would not fix the phone. We he took his phone back to into the store after just a few minutes, the gentleman was able to use the insurance to get a new phone.

Upvote 0
We've had to "explain" to customers at the store I work for that their Extended Warranty (on their notebook computers, phones, stc) covers "accidental damage"

"Ma'am. If you drop your computer in the parking lot, and it breaks, you're covered" *nudge,nudge,wink,wink*

Definitely not saying you should defraud the company, but when push comes to shove. Keep in mind, though, they do have the right and/or obligation to further investigate all claims should they feel it neccessary....

Upvote 0
And i've been paying for car insurance for YEARS!!! no claims. I think i'll torch my car because "I'm entitled".

apples to oranges buddy. Cuz when verizon takes in a phone on warranty, they wipe it and resell it as "Refurb" . I dont think you could do that with a torched car so your analogy is worthless. Much like yourself.

Just to make things clear, I'm not the OP of this thread, and I dont need to return my phone. Nor do I want to. The update took care of any issues I had. If I wanted to get another phone, I'd buy it outright.

Thanks for your input, worthless as it might be. :)

Upvote 0
apples to oranges buddy. Cuz when verizon takes in a phone on warranty, they wipe it and resell it as "Refurb" . I dont think you could do that with a torched car so your analogy is worthless. Much like yourself.

Just to make things clear, I'm not the OP of this thread, and I dont need to return my phone. Nor do I want to. The update took care of any issues I had. If I wanted to get another phone, I'd buy it outright.

Thanks for your input, worthless as it might be. :)

Very classy response. Have you ever heard of insurance fraud?

Aren't you the guy that said you would tell Verizon it fell off your Harley? I'd love to be the guy that gets that one back as a refurb. Apples and Oranges, eh?

Upvote 0
... If I run into a situation where they would not return my phone and I'd be looking at a broken phone (whatever the reason may be) or paying full price for a new phone...I'd make sure the phone fell while I was "ridding my Harley" and never find it. Don't talk to me about the honesty thing...I pay for warranties and never use them. If a situation arose where I needed it I would use it. That's what they are there for.

PS-Love the forum!

1. if you never use warranties, quit paying for them. (assuming you are talking about extended warranties you purchase)
2. check with your homeowners / renters policy about adding your cell phone - you might find it is a LOT cheaper than verizon's insurance.
3. I won't bother talking to you about honesty - since that obviously doesn't matter. Sad.

Upvote 0
2. check with your homeowners / renters policy about adding your cell phone - you might find it is a LOT cheaper than verizon's insurance.

I actually did ask about this. They will not cover portable electronics at all.

There are third party insurers, though. Squaretrade is one. I am actually thinking about switching, because Assurion's monthly charges and deductible are high, and replacement with refurbished equipment is a bit underwhelming for their high price. (They also limit you to two claims in any 12 month period.)

Upvote 0
I actually did ask about this. They will not cover portable electronics at all.

There are third party insurers, though. Squaretrade is one. I am actually thinking about switching, because Assurion's monthly charges and deductible are high, and replacement with refurbished equipment is a bit underwhelming for their high price. (They also limit you to two claims in any 12 month period.)

That's too bad ... my homeowners policy will let me add the phones for about $15 per phone, per year. I think Verizon / Asurion is a little bit more :D

Upvote 0
I watched a gentleman at a Verizon store take his phone and run over it in the parking lot with his car after the store would not fix the phone. We he took his phone back to into the store after just a few minutes, the gentleman was able to use the insurance to get a new phone.
That did not happen as you represent it. What was the problem with the phone? How old was it? Why would the store not fix it? After a few minutes he went back in and with a broken phone and a different story? Did he talk to the same rep? Did they not see him do this? What rep would accept an obvious behavior that is contractually dishonest and possibly illegal? Sounds like another person trying to inflate themselves with a lot of hot air.

Upvote 0
That did not happen as you represent it. What was the problem with the phone? How old was it? Why would the store not fix it? After a few minutes he went back in and with a broken phone and a different story? Did he talk to the same rep? Did they not see him do this? What rep would accept an obvious behavior that is contractually dishonest and possibly illegal? Sounds like another person trying to inflate themselves with a lot of hot air.

I don't know what happened to this person, but i bet Verizon would look at the situation a lot differently than Asurion. A regular hourly Verizon person might not care .... but someone from Asurion certainly would.

Upvote 0
The leak came from HTC, so its not like I "hacked" the phone. And it will update JUST FINE when the OTA comes out, so tell me.. Whats the problem with me wanting to return my phone? Its not going to cost you a dime, they just resell the phone as refurbished anyways. So I dont really know your issue is.

Is it lonely up there on your podium? Oh I see.. You have 8 posts. I smell a troll in the air...

Brian I agree with you 100% and I just want to say it sounds like that other guy may be bitter that he didn't return his phone within the 30 day period and is jealous that we can do so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones