• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root return to stock? rom, s-off, not rooted

John Redcorn

Android Enthusiast
May 9, 2011
Wife wants me to sell my inspire to her friend who wants it back stock/not rooted.

Someone told me on another forum that running the ruu from htc.com/us would do it all no problem. But I look at the instructions for that and it says you need to put the phone in htc sync mode when you plug in the cable. I have no htc sync mode, I'm running jellytime and havent seen a stock rom since 2011.

Do I need to flash a rooted stock for htc sync mode then run the ruu? Whats the safest easiest way to do this?

Phone was froyo when I got it, it updated to gb, I rooted after that with aahk. I have cwm installed as well as my bootloader showing a skating cyanogen droid.

An ruu won't return you to son, but it will install the stock recovery and stock unrooted ROM. Good enough IMO

You can just run it with your phone in bootloader/fastboot

So just get it on the bootloader screen and start up the ruu from the pc?

And what does leaving s-off do? anything that will mess with any new official ota updates the new user might get?

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
So just get it on the bootloader screen and start up the ruu from the pc?

And what does leaving s-off do? anything that will mess with any new official ota updates the new user might get?

Yes

And otas just require the stock ROM and recovery. Both of which the ruu will give you

S-off just means you can flash things through the boot loader that aren't signed by HTC. It won't affect the use of the phone for the new buyer at all, and will make it extremely easy to root later in if they choose to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones