1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Returning my Nexus 5General

1. MikeInMexico

MikeInMexico New Member

I really wanted to switch from iPhone so I bought a Nexus 5. My problem with it is that I spend most of my time in Mexico, but retain a US address and credit card. Google Play will NOT allow you to download ANYTHING if you are not in the country of your credit card.
    I found this really hard to believe, so I discussed it with several Google support people. Came to the same conclusions. I have to go to the USA to install an app. No choice but to get rid of the phone.
    I tried using a US VPN, but they still know I'm in Mexico.
    I don't have any of these problems with Apple. Am I missing something? Any input welcome.

Advertisement
    :
  2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

It's probably a built in fraud detection/prevention thing. The only thing I can think of is instead of using a credit card at all, try buying things with Google Play credits.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

Hi MikeInMexico ...

Welcome aboard.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your phone. I moved your thread to its area of discussion.
  4. MikeInMexico

MikeInMexico New Member

Seems you need a credit card to open a Wallet, and you need the wallet to download anything. Even free stuff. Am I wrong?
  5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Maybe, I'm not sure :(. Haven't encountered this situation before.
  6. zenicanin

zenicanin Well-Known Member

Don't you only need a Google Account to connect to Google Play and download apps?
  7. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

When I visit Mexico annually I make sure I have installed what I need. Once you cross that line the play store is no good. In a pinch Ive been able to have a buddy email me the apk, but that's hardly a long term solution.
  8. MikeInMexico

MikeInMexico New Member

Exactly. Sorry to say that makes Android far from a complete international solution. I am returning my Nexus 5. Back to iPhone (sigh).
    Been nice talking to you folks, and thanks for the input.
  9. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

You could buy Google Play voucher cards..?
  10. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

That is technically incorrect. You do not need wallet to download apps that are free. But if you are trying to download music that is $0.00 (not free, but $0 - yeah, it is treated differently), it will process thru' Wallet.