Returning Phone After Root

Last Updated:

1. MarcM

MarcM Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I see there are a couple of threads on this but I want to make sure I have this right. I just got off with Asurion and they are shipping a replacement. I had rooted my phone, installed some root only apps like wireless tethering and set cpu, removed some bloat like CityID and Tweet/Peep, and changed the boot animation. No custom ROM or radio update.

Then I wanted to get the OTA update so I applied s-off and flashed back to stock recovery.

So what do I need to do to return this phone. I know I will need to apply s-on. Then should I flash a stock 2.1 or just revert the changes I made to boot animation, restore the bloatware, and remove the root apps? Do I need to remove any other files that go with being root? Thanks.........MM

Advertisement
  2. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

You need to run s-on while you are still rooted, as that requires root. Then you need to get back to stock recovery, so once you ave s-on, flash either the 2.1 RUU or 2.2 RUU and you'll be all set.

3. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

and if your on windows and can't get the RUU to take there a few threads about that so no need to start a new thread, just try out the things other suggested and post back in this thread to let us know.!

4. MarcM

Yes I found a link to DiegoMejia great video and downloaded his file to restore stock without root. I was wondering about getting to s-on though so thanks for that!

ACD168 wrote:
    So even though I still have root do I need to re-flash Clockwork with unrevoked to get apply s-on?

BTW if my replacement phone already has the 2.2 update is there anyway to get root?

5. PaulG1488

PaulG1488 Guest

To my knowledge if your replacement comes with 2.2 then no you erl be stuck til another methods comes out

6. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I think there is a method that you can downgrade 2.2 back to 2.1 so you can get s-off then upgrade so you'll have root, I don't think it can be tested since there is no phone that comes pre 2.2,... but it makes sense in theory so.. should be good

7. MarcM

ACD168 wrote:
    Since I will have stock recovery I would need original factory 2.1 rom. Then question is if it will run when the loader sees an older file.

Still wondering if I have to re-flash clockwork to apply s-on. I assume so.

Thanks