Returning to Stock

Last Updated:

1. tcv

tcv Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know about Odin and the clockwork recovery methods but I have absolutely no idea what I am doing with them.

I need to flash a stock rom but outside of the update.zip method I don't really know how. I don't think any of the methods I've seen use the update.zip strategy.

Could somebody write up a short tutorial or something to try to make this easier for me?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Rhiannon224

Rhiannon224 Well-Known Member

The only way is using Odin, there is no true one click method, although it's pretty close. Follow the instructions on the link very closely. Be sure to download and install the drivers from the lnk before you start. Follow all of the steps in the correct order. I use method 1 and it's real easy.
    [STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers - xda-developers
    What is it that is confusing you and I can try to help you?

3. tcv

tcv Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, most importantly, how exactly do you open the odin file? Through the phone, through the computer? Is it possible to open it on a mac?

I'm new to Android and even newer to the development side of Android so any help you can give me is appreciated.

4. iPhobia

iPhobia Member

Odin can only be used w/ Windows. The one linked above has the stock rom already on it so all you have to do is open Odin then turn your phone off and then hold the vol down and vol up buttons together and plug in your usb cable while doing so. That will put it in download mode. Then just click start on Odin and it will do the rest for you. Simple. If that method doesn't work to put you in download mode try hold the vol down button and then press the power button while still holding vol down. Make sure to hit vol down button first before hitting power button. You will know when you are in download mode by a black screen and yellow sign w/ android shoveling some stuff.

Here are the links. Install Samsung drivers before attempting to flash. Make sure to plug the USB cable into the back of the motherboard.
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Samsung drivers
    32BIT
    SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86.exe
    64BIT
    usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64.zip

5. Rhiannon224

Rhiannon224 Well-Known Member

I don't use a Mac and I am not sure if Odin works with Mac. Click on the link I put in my previous post and leave a question there and someone more qualified than me can help you.

6. jflexe99

jflexe99 Well-Known Member

If I use the Odin flash to stock...will this work on a rooted phone? Or is it more extensive with rooted phones? I want Froyo 2.2 when it comes out. Thanks!

7. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

When you run odin, it will restore your phone to how it was when it first came out of the box. Touch wiz will be your only launcher and all of att software will be on there. you run odin from your pc, and the only real hard part is getting the captivate into download mode

jflexe99 likes this.
  8. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

This has always worked for me:

pricej636 and jflexe99 like this.
  9. jflexe99

jflexe99 Well-Known Member

Oh very nice! Can't wait till froyo comes out even more. With no worries about getting it on my phone! Thank you well knowledged chaps!