Reverse engineering a wired headset (or, what wire goes where?)Tips

Last Updated:

1. dennisthetiger

dennisthetiger New Member This Topic's Starter

I have here, on my desk, one of the wired headsets, and in my tool kit, the parts to build a breakout box for something similar - in this way, I would be able to use my own headphones and microphone, and maybe have remote-control buttons for it. Upshot is such. The down shot would be multiple wires to connect to the thing.

The problem? I'm at a loss for exactly how this thing is assembled. So far I've managed to breadboard together the audio out for stereo, but it's beyond this point.

What I've done so far, after the first one I got with my phone basically died, is disassembled the control box and dissected this, determining the labelling on the PCB and where the wires connect. The speaker end, of course, has two conductors for each speaker, one apparently being a common ground. The phone end - that which exists south of the control box - is a six conductor cable (odd, considering that it's a four-conductor plug - but the audio feeds come out of this cable as expected, as well as the two additional wires) labelled W+ and W- on the PCB, and are white and bare respectively. As far as I can tell (and from what bits of the boot I've been able to shave away from the plug), the white wire connects to the sleeve conductor - which I thought was usually a ground, but oh well. The rest of what I've found is scribbled on a piece of paper somewhere, and I don't remember which conducts what as far as sound off of the top of my head.

So with this, I'm looking at two things that I'm missing:

1) The schematic for the PCB

2) The wiring diagram for the 3.5mm four-conductor plug

Any takers on this?

Advertisement