Reverse phone lookup 4.4.2 not working?General

1. Dustin DeWinn

Dustin DeWinn Member

Hello all. I know this is my first post, but I searched the forum and didn't see this addressed.

I have an unrooted S4 on ATT. I bought it 4.2.2, but I was given the 4.4.2 upgrade a few weeks ago. It's my understanding that KitKat devices will have a reverse phone lookup automatically built into the phone, displaying the name of any business that has that number listed on Google Places/Local.

It doesn't seem to work on my phone. Is this feature for KitKat devices moving forward where 4.4 is native to the phone, or are any devices on that version able to use that feature?

I can't seem to enable or or get it to work...I did some shopping today and had customer services at a few stores call my phone just to see if it worked, but alas it did not.

Any advice or suggestions? Thank you much.

-DD

Advertisement
  2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

After you accepted the update did you do a factory data reset . when a large update come across a factory data reset is needed cause old data and new data don't mix .
  3. Dustin DeWinn

Dustin DeWinn Member

I didn't but thank you. Will do
  4. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

I do not know how similar the AT&T variant is to my Google Edition but on mine, one needs to enable, "Caller ID by Google", from within Settings in the dial pad before you can obtain reverse look-up.
  5. Dustin DeWinn

Dustin DeWinn Member

I'm not going to lie - I have serious trepidations about doing the factory reset because I am skeptical it would change anything. The update changed enough on my phone, I find it hard to believe that some features would work, and others wouldn't.

However, Under Call Settings>Additional Settings>CallerID> there are 3 options, each with a radiobutton: Network Default, Hide Number, Show Number. Currently Network Default is enabled, but no mention of Google.
  6. BurtGummer

BurtGummer Well-Known Member

I never knew about this feature. I don't see anywhere to enable it either. I also have my S4 through at&t.
  7. Dustin DeWinn

Dustin DeWinn Member

Either today or tomorrow I plan on going to an ATT store and just looking at new nexus phones or Galaxy Tabs to see if they have this. It MIGHT be a Nexus exclusive, but when you search for it, it says it's a feature of KitKat leading me to believe any device on that version should have it.
  8. BurtGummer

It should be a feature on every phone with kit kat then. Unless at&t removed this feature for some stupid reason.
  9. ironass

BurtGummer likes this.
  10. BurtGummer

AT&T probably removed it then for some reason. That's probably why I never heard of that feature on the update then.
  11. Dustin DeWinn

Dustin DeWinn Member

Though this thread and discussion may not be closed yet, I want to thank you folks for actually replying to me. I posted this in a few other forums, and it got a lot of views, but no responses. Very frustrating. You guys are cool. Thanks
  12. Dustin DeWinn

Dustin DeWinn Member

So some feedback I've received:

-ATT hasn't rolled out 4.4 to all devices, and MIGHT come in future updates
    -ATT or Samsung has decided to not allow this feature on this device (at this time)
    -It's probably only on Nexus 5 phones and is only available to other devices with rooting

So, phooey. I had this idea anyway for reverse phone lookup back when I had my 2.3 Evo
    ironass likes this.
  13. ironass

Thanks for that post Dustin DeWinn! :thumbup:

If you do decide to root your AT&T phone, you can install the ROM for the Galaxy S4, AT&T, Google Edition, GT-i9505G, that includes the reverse look-up feature. Very useful I find. ;)

GOOGLE EDITION 4.4.2 BY Danvdh
  14. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

I'm not an AT&T customer, but one thing that might nix the reverse look up is a Bloatware Caller ID app. I know that Verizon includes one in their CrapWare that they include on the GS4. I would really doubt that Verizon would allow a free version of the paid subscription app that they sell.
    BRAINZ2013 likes this.
  15. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Note that Ironass said it was in settings in the dial pad, not in the Call Settings - the two can be easily confused (and it would be fair to wonder why they are NOT the same...).

Trying bringing up the dial pad as though you were going to call someone. Then press either the menu button or the three 'menu' dots, I'm not sure which one will work on your device. On mine I had to use the three dots, the menu button didn't do anything - I'm rooted on a custom ROM, so I'll assume our devices don't look the same.
    Then under 'Settings' look for 'Caller ID by Google' and verify that it's turned on.
  16. Dustin DeWinn

Dustin DeWinn Member

Podivin and ironass like this.