• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

reversing camera tablet and rf port phone

Hi all,
I'm looking for an app to connect multiple car reversing cameras using my 10.1" tablet as a monitor. I can get a cable that has 5 RCA plugs at one end and one HDMI plug at the other. I want to show one camera feed as full screen when I'm towing the caravan - the camera on the back of the van serves instead of the rear vision camera. I want to be able to split the screen in quarters to show the other four camera feeds together when I'm parking or manoeuvering in confined spaces - one camera for each corner of the car.
I'm also in need of a new phone, my old one is still playing up after a trip through the washing machine. I want the current version of android, a decent camera, and a WiFi hotspot, but the whole thing's no good if it doesn't have an rf port. I tried searching this forum, but the search tool rejected 'rf' as not having enough letters. Not sure how to work with that. If the phone won't connect to the external aerial it's just an expensive doorstop around here. I've read some discussions of drilling the back plate of a phone to access the test socket, but I really want a phone with an rf socket that is designed to be used.
Any ideas?

You can't feed multiple camera signals to a single input. What you need is an external box that takes multiple camera signals (the common ones take 4 or 8 - I've never seen one that takes 5) and combines them into a single split view signal. You'd need one that runs on 12 volts or less so you can use an adapter from the car's electrical system to power it.

I haven't seen consumer-grade systems that didn't come with cameras, so if you want to use your own cameras you either have to pay for cameras you won't be using or you have to go to a commercial grade combiner.

Check with companies that sell surveillance equipment - that's what those devices are normally used for.

As far as the phone, consumer-grade phones aren't made to be used with external antennas (and, in the US, would be operating illegally if you connected one to your phone, since the radiated power would be higher than the FCC allows for that phone). And, if it caused interference to other systems (there's one famous case of aircraft interference that caused a company to eliminate an entire product line), you could be in a big legal mess. If you're out in the boonies, look into a micro-cell from your carrier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones