"Reversing" the landscape mode???

Last Updated:

1. ironchef

ironchef New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello!
    I've been searching the net and I'm amazed that no-one has the same problem: I like to use the landscape (phone held horizontally) mode when possible. I'm left handed (usually np) and use my Desire with left hand. The problem is that the landscape mode works only when tilted from right to left and not left to right. So I'm forced to use the phone with my right hand...?

This is very upsetting (either because feature like this doesn't work or because I'm just stupid). Anybody know what to do?

Other than that, great phone!

Advertisement
  2. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

The ability to rotate every which way (left, right, upside down) is enabled in certain custom ROMs. In other word: unless you root and there's a ROM that does that, no go.

3. cnanthony

cnanthony Well-Known Member

There is an option in initial setup to use the phone either left or righthanded. I assume this enables landscape mode in the way you would prefer.

4. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

It's industry standard to only tilt when rotated to the left (anticlockwise).

Not aware of ANY device which rotates the other way.

5. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

My trusty Nokia N82 tilted in all directions.

6. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

You sure?

Because my mates N82 doesnt rotate the screen other than to landscape as the desire does. My N95 and N96 didnt either.

7. markouk

markouk Well-Known Member

The Nexus One has the same issue. I rooted and stuck Cyanogen Mod on and now it does 360 rotation. The HTC HD2 does full 360 rotation on the stock ROM.

8. ironchef

ironchef New Member This Topic's Starter

Answering to my own question. This "feature" is because of the physical keyboards that are sliding from one side of the gadget.

This issue will be corrected in the next update. Thanks Google and Open Handset Alliance for listening your customers. :)

9. fridgy

fridgy New Member

Just a thought, but will this 'update feature' enable me to use camera "upside down" as in using the trackball button with my left hand. Or is it texting specific . :confused:

Also, where is this option to use the desire right or left handed in setup. I don't recall seeing it.

From a fellow left kegger :). TIA.

10. d123

d123 Active Member

The iPhone will rotate either way up.

11. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Hmmn, I really thought there would be an app for this - my problem with the current landscapre orientation is for gaming, where you can accidentally press the power button and sleep the screen (irritating!).

12. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

I still have my N82 and just booted it up to make sure... and I stand corrected! Oops, you're right. I must have remembered wrong, or been thinking of one of my other phones.

13. frostydub

frostydub Member

The iPhone orientates in any direction, but I found this annoying. If you took a picture sideways and you rotated the phone to look at it, it would obviously reorientate the screen again.

14. mcnob

mcnob Well-Known Member

Trying to use an iPhone in landscape on your right side was a pain too.