• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Revert to Cupcake without removing SD Card from phone?

So I am considering rooting my MT3G. It came with 1.6 stock. I understand I have to revert to cupcake in order to root. My computer does not have an sd card slot. Am I SOL here, or is there a way to revert to cupcake without having to remove the sd card from my phone (which is my only way of accessing my sd card on my computer)?

I could go use my sister's computer, I know her's has SD slots, but I want to see if there is any other way before I drive to her house across town.

:thinking:Any ideas are awesome.:thinking:

So I am considering rooting my MT3G. It came with 1.6 stock. I understand I have to revert to cupcake in order to root. My computer does not have an sd card slot. Am I SOL here, or is there a way to revert to cupcake without having to remove the sd card from my phone (which is my only way of accessing my sd card on my computer)?

I could go use my sister's computer, I know her's has SD slots, but I want to see if there is any other way before I drive to her house across town.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a 8GbB sdcard and it comes with a small USB read/write device ...

Upvote 0

Follow the directions exactly from CyanogenMod Wiki

Here you'll install 1.5. Then your phone will work just fine, you go to the Market and download App Installer, then you mount your Phone, erase what was on there (previously discussed in directions) then add an app called FlashRec and at the same time add the two zip files needed - DRC83 and the CyanogenMod. Keep following the directions and tada! You don't have to physically put the SD card into your computer, you can mount the phone instead doing the same thing.

Upvote 0
Follow the directions exactly from CyanogenMod Wiki

I believe I followed the directions to a "T", but when I got to the part where you have to go to the market and download the APP installer, Market would not download.

I finally got mine going via other means, but it would be nice to know if the issue I had downloading was isolated or if this was somehow blocked by google?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't previously read anywhere that you could do the root process all while using the SD Card while it was in the phone. All the tutorials and videos have you take out the SD Card and then plug it directly into an adapter, then into the computer.

I didn't want to try to deviate from the tutorial at all, for fearing of turning my phone into a paperweight.

I was able to get the phone rooted though, and now I am running a pretty darn stable Hero ROM. Just waiting for a decent version of Eclair to show up.

Upvote 0
I believe I followed the directions to a "T", but when I got to the part where you have to go to the market and download the APP installer, Market would not download.

I finally got mine going via other means, but it would be nice to know if the issue I had downloading was isolated or if this was somehow blocked by google?

I'm not sure if it was isolated or not. I believe that it may have been because when you revert to 1.5 there shouldn't be anything different about your syncing or the market besides the different format between 1.5 and 1.6, but its all aesthetic, just different looks and layout. I'm not sure why it would do that. Could it have perhaps been your wireless signal? I know that when I have a low Edge or even 3G connection, it doesn't download apps from the market very well or at all. Besides that I'm not sure what the problem could have been, I don't think that Google has implemented anything to stop that somehow. I'm sorry to hear about that, it was probably a bit of a scare, but I'm glad that you figured it out.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't previously read anywhere that you could do the root process all while using the SD Card while it was in the phone. All the tutorials and videos have you take out the SD Card and then plug it directly into an adapter, then into the computer.

I didn't want to try to deviate from the tutorial at all, for fearing of turning my phone into a paperweight.

I was able to get the phone rooted though, and now I am running a pretty darn stable Hero ROM. Just waiting for a decent version of Eclair to show up.

Yeah when I was looking around figuring it out it seemed like every set of directions or video had you take the SD card out and move the zip files on your computer. I think the only reason they do that is just to be absolutely sure that you get the zips onto the root of your SD, but even then its like exactly the same as when you mounting it, but oh well! It works and it worked for you, that's what matters right. Have fun enjoying your brand new phone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones