• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reverting 4.0.4 back to...whatever it was before

graniteheid

Lurker
Apr 19, 2012
Hi all

I've had a Nexus S for about a year now.
Very happy I've been with it too.

Until a couple of weeks ago (7th April) when it prompted an android update.
Everything has been pretty diabolical since then.
Don't have the time to list things that don't work or the terrible navigation throughout.

So. Excusing my ignorance in this.
I now have 4.0.4 (ice cream sandwich, assume).

How do I revert it back to what it was before the upgrade?
Having looked around I think this may be Gingerbread v2.3.4.
I see there is some advice to do that going around, but I'd just like to check that this was the system in place before that dashed upgrade. :(

Any advice, direction gratefully received.

Cheers
GH

If you look at the stickied threads at the top of the page, you'll see a thread titled...going back to gingerbread... You want 2.3.6.
Unfortunately I recently reverted back to gingerbread v2.3.6 as I found some widgets didn't like the font sizing in ICS. I also didn't like the messaging app emoticons, the light grey font on white backgrounds, the data activity icon for 3G is smaller and hard to see as it's black on a black/blue signal strength indicator, etc. It's little things like that which make the phone more annoying to use, and even though it's a smartphone, it's still a PHONE and I need to use it like one most of the time. Perhaps I'll try ICS again when they update it and fix some of these little annoyances.
YMMV.
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones