Review Amzer 88612 Silicone case for Droid XAccessories

Last Updated:

1. jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Review Amzer 88612 Silicone case for Droid X
    I recently received an Amzer 88612 Jelly Silicone Skin Case for my Droid X.(Won't get the X until the 15th). The case looks like it is engineered perfectly for the X. The bottom portion of the case looks like it will allow full access to the 4 hard buttons on the X. The cutouts are in the correct places for the camera, usb and hdmi outputs, headphone jack and microphone holes. It is kind of a smooth, slightly rubbery texture. It will allow your phone to slide in and out of your pockets without snagging. The case is pliable and will probably be able to accomodate the 1mm thicker 1930ma extended battery that Verizon will carry. The case has a proprietary Organic Anti-Dust special spray layer coated on the skin to avoid dust sticking to the surface, also making it easy to clean. It comes with a one year limited warranty.

For someone looking for this type of case, it seems perfect. It provides a level of protection if the phone is dropped and yet also allows full access. As soon as I receive my X, I will post updated photos of the case with the phone mounted. Unsure at this time if it will fit into the media dock with the case on, but I will try it on the 15th and post.

Around $10 on amzer website and probably other places.

Update 7/16/10: The case is very nice and fits the X perfectly. Easy to go on and works well. Gives it nice protection and has access to all the openings. The volume, camera and power buttons are covered with raised indentations, which is good, because it prevents dust and dirt from getting into the switches. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow the X to mate with the Media Dock. I think Seidio might be coming out with a Media dock with a removable back plate that would allow the slightly larger size with the case on, to fit. We'll see.

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. dixie1

dixie1 Member

Thanks for the pics and the review!

Not sure I like the extra strips on the corners though. The original Amzer pictures were rounded off but they changed a few days ago on the website.

I guess they provide a little more protection but aesthetically kind of changes the shape of the phone--a little boxier. I have one on the way.

3. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

I think I'm sold on the Amzer Argyle case (not a fan of flimsy silicon). Might I ask where you ordered yours from?

jewbaccah likes this.
  4. jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Went on Amzer.com I think.

5. maniacman54

maniacman54 Well-Known Member

i ordered mine off of amazon as well as a car charger and a micro hdmi to hdmi for a little under thirty [NY tax was included :-(]

6. jewbaccah

jewbaccah New Member

I bought mine off eBay for 7.99 free shipping

7. mahers

mahers Well-Known Member

Ditto! Amzer wanted $4.95 for shipping and $9.95 for the case. The one I got on [​IMG]eBay added tax as I am in CA, but it was still way cheaper than going thru Amzer...one small note, no idea if it's generic or actual Amzer case as it doesn't specify, but it looks close enough!

8. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

Looks good. I went with an Amzer Argyle, it came today. I like it so far.

9. kentl901

kentl901 Well-Known Member

One complaint about the Argyle... it's insanely difficult to control the volume rocker.

I need to use my free hand while holding the phone to 1) find the buttons and 2) press down on it hard.

The power button on the other hand, is SLIGHTLY, only SLIGHTLY easier to press down on.

10. wantonsoup

wantonsoup Member

Is the Argyle case just shiny hard plastic? It's hard to tell what it is from the online pics.

I've got the bulky Body Glove case on it now because I drop my phone way too much... but I really want something in orange.

11. JubbaTheHutt

12. wantonsoup

wantonsoup Member

Perfect, thanks. I'll probably hold out for the 30-day return policy on my current case in hopes that the extended battery comes out in that window and I can see what case would fit with it installed!

13. Deathshead

Deathshead Well-Known Member

14. JubbaTheHutt

Well that's the thing, it's a form of hardened silicone, yet still retains flexibility. The coating is glossy, so one would expect there not to be an issue being able to pocket it and remove it with difficulty.

I know a few users have been using this case so maybe they can chime in on it.

15. wantonsoup

wantonsoup Member

Yep, but it'll scratch up the first time you put it on a rough surface, I'd bet.

16. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

Hardened silicone is pretty much how I'd describe it.

I like it so far. I have no problems keeping it in my pocket or getting it out. Although it's not my preferred method of carrying the X. I have a belt holster on order and once that comes I won't be pocketing it anymore.

17. bluflax

bluflax New Member