Review of A13 7" Android Tablet ($64) with pics!!!

1. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

This is a review of A13 7" Android Tablet from A13 7" Capacitive Touch Screen Android 4.0 Tablet PC w/ TF / Camera / Wi-Fi / G-Sensor - White - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Right off the bat, I'm mentioning the price of this tablet from DX.com - $64 shipped. I typically don't talk about the price or mention it at the end of my reviews, but I had to bring it up first so you realize although this is not a brand name high performance tablet - you get a LOT for the price. Early this year I was on a mission to find a budget ($100) tablet for my kids, and actually bought a couple (from WalMart) which turned out to be both defective with charging and display problems. So I was a bit skeptical about getting something for such low price. But I ended up being very surprised, pleasantly that is!

So let me first start with a spec. It's not super high tech, but still very impressive with A13 processor (based on Cortex A8 single core CPU and Mali-400 GPU) at 1GHz clock speed, 512MB of memory, 4GB of internal storage which is expandable with additional 32GB using Micro-SD slot. It comes with a front facing camera (low res) which is adequate for basic lo-fi video chat. Also display resolution of 800x480 (WVGA), supporting b/g wi-fi, but no BT (this is typical for budget tablets). The tablet was very lightweight, about 9.7 oz (276g), and dimensions of 180mm x 120mm x 6mm (in thickness). As I mentioned, it comes with micro-SD card slot, has volume up/down controls, power button, headphone jack, microphone, micro-usb port, dc input, and external speaker.

Once I opened a box, I realized DC power adapter had EU rounded plug which was useless to me. BUT to my surprise I was able to charge the tablet very fast by connecting to micro-usb port using my 2A wall adapter. Tablet came completely discharged, and it took me about 3 hours to charge it fully up. While using it through the day, I didn't find battery life to be too spectacular where it could last 4-5 hours (or even less with heavy use). Overall built quality is not that bad. Yes, its a plastic casing and display is not glass, but there is hardly any flex. I also found screen to be sometimes not as responsible as I used to in my "premium" Note 2 and Nexus 7, but then we are dealing with a different capacitive touch screen quality. It still works ok, and actually watching a movie or YT videos was not bad at all. Higher resolution of 800x480 definitely helps and makes images/videos less grainy.

The tablet comes with Android Ice Cream sandwich, and I'm sure it can be rooted. But I have no intentions for that. There is a full access to Play Store to get any apps. Plus, I was able to download and install an external APK without a problem. I installed a few games, apps - everything seem to be working OK. I had OTG cable/adapter connected with external USB thumb drive - recognized without a problem. As I mentioned before, it will not be fare to compare this tablet performance with other more advanced brand name tablets, but for the price you get a VERY good bang for your buck! I had good experience dealing with DX.com in the past, and their customer support is very responsive. With stuff you get from ebay or even some amazon sellers - seems like 50/50 chance it will work out of the box, and then you have to negotiate with some of the sellers to get full refund back.

Overall, for $64 this is very impressive tablet which you can use to watch movies, play videos, play music, browse and check email, play games, etc.

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]