• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of Anker MP141 wireless Bluetooth 4.0 speaker w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of Anker MP141 portable wireless Bluetooth 4.0 speaker. Anker MP141 Portable Bluetooth 4.0 Speaker with Super-Sized 4W Driver

If you look across a majority of portable wireless speakers, most of them focus on stylish looks rather than a sound quality. There are some with better drivers and perhaps a dedicated sub-woofer, but those cost a lot of money and typically heavy and less portable. It will be hard to find anything in sub $50 range that sounds and looks good. After reviewing MP141, I think Anker got very close with their new wireless speaker to accomplish that goal. Let's take a closer look at what I found.

Arrived in a traditional Anker's environmentally friendly package box, in addition to a speaker I also found a nice velour storage pouch, detailed instructions, and high quality usb charging cable and 3.5mm audio cable - both in white color to match the speaker. The speaker itself looked really cool with all white plastic sidewalls and gray metallic mesh grill over the speaker. The controls are placed neatly along the gray stripe on one side with a rounded volume +/- and multifunction play buttons. At the bottom of the right side, you have micro-usb charging port with led, AUX In port to connect directly with a cable, and a physical On/Off button. I was very pleased to see a physical power button so there is no confusion when speaker is on or off. At the bottom of the speaker, you have a non-skid pad around the perimeter to prevent speaker from sliding, something you actually have to worry about when you are packing a powerful sound!

The minute you hold this speaker in your hand, you realize a hefty weight of 285g packed inside of this 3.1"x3.1"x2.7" cube. MP141 comes packed with 2" driver pumping 4W of power along with a bass port. It was loud enough to fill in a relative big room, and I was actually surprised how I was able to raise the volume all the way to the max without any sound distortion. I gotta say, it was very impressive! Obviously, 2" speaker can't produce a very powerful bass, but you can hear it's punch pretty good. Also, the mids and the treble were clear and detailed. In addition to being used as a speaker, it also works as a speaker phone with a mic that can clearly pick up your voice from almost 2ft away. Basically, once paired up with your phone, it connects both to a phone and media audio, and supports HSP, HFP, A2DP and AVRCP protocols. I was also very happy that during power on and pair up there was just an audible tone and no annoying voice saying "connected", etc. Also, the wireless connection worked as far as 40ft away from the phone. Another amazing feature was the battery which can last between 15-20 hours, depending on the level of volume. Played at a medium volume it could last almost the whole day!

Overall, I found this speaker to be equally stylish and having a decent audio performance. All the controls were well laid out, the wireless bluetooth pairing and range was great, the sound was loud and clear with a nice bass punch. The speaker was very compact yet with a nice hefty weight of a powerful driver. Considering introductory price of $39.99 and Anker's 18-month warranty, I think its a great deal!

Here are the pictures.

anker_mp141-01_zps09216014.jpg

anker_mp141-02_zps26bdf63a.jpg

anker_mp141-03_zps11a952eb.jpg

anker_mp141-04_zpsafe20716.jpg

anker_mp141-05_zps5c5174d5.jpg

anker_mp141-06_zpsd322bffb.jpg

anker_mp141-07_zps1bb7cf39.jpg

anker_mp141-08_zps76f7dcda.jpg

anker_mp141-09_zps86c9187d.jpg

anker_mp141-10_zpsdba4e227.jpg

anker_mp141-11_zps266bae00.jpg

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones