• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Review of DUNU DN2000J Premium 3-way hybrid IEMs w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of Dunu DN-2000J 3-way hybrid IEM. http://www.dunu-topsound.com/DN-2000J.html , available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/DUNU-DN-2000J-Triple-Premium-Earphone/dp/B00YUTCVHM/?tag=vectron00-20 or Penon: http://penonaudio.com/DUNU-DN-2000J

It's rare to see a company releasing an update to their popular flagship headphone model a year after its initial introduction. I’m not talking about refresh with cosmetic changes or an upgrade with incremental model number. This is a serious update (the same model number, adding suffix "J") with a newly developed wide-bandwidth dynamic driver (going up to 40kHz to meet hi-res requirements) and redesigned smaller lightweight shell. To me it says a lot about the company when I see them being obsessed about their flagship IEM, striving to improve the quality and the performance, and implementing changes based on their customer feedback. I didn’t have a chance to listen to their original DN-2000, thus can’t compare it, so this is going to be the first time I’m testing and reviewing a hybrid IEM from DUNU. Here is what I found.

Having previously reviewed their Titan 1 IEM, I found a lot of similarities in the packaging, though that didn’t take away from how much I was impressed with all the detailed info printed on the box: from high res images on the top of the magnetic flip cover to a complete spec with all the driver and housing and accessory details on the back and the sides, including pictures and description. You can definitely learn a lot about the product even before opening the box, and DUNU even included a frequency response graph to give you an idea about sound tuning.

But the “story” continuous when you turn the cover open to reveal DN2kJ under another flip cover in a clear display window, and a lot of additional info with details about the product and the philosophy behind the design. With another flip cover out of the way, you will find DN2kJ like two shinning jewelries in a gift box setting, a number of eartips, and a premium case with the rest of the accessories inside.

Unboxing.

dunu.dn2000j-01_zpslglsmgnz.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-02_zpsmb8d2ekc.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-03_zpslxwfeyaz.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-04_zps5jxyeve7.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-05_zpsaaimlvwa.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-06_zpsrd9iljyp.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-07_zpszknjtays.jpg

Before I even start talking about accessories, let me just say that I have never seen that many before with any other pair of headphones I reviewed in the past. And what makes it more appealing, a lot of these accessories are not just "quantity" fillers, but actually quality original accessories I would like to talk more about in details. It’s all a matter of a personal opinion if you find them useful or not, but I do appreciate the effort and all the available options to fine tune a sound to your liking.

Starting with eartips, you get 3 sets of quality silicone tips, each one in S/M/L sizes and all with a medium bore opening. One set is white silicone while another one is in gray, and if you are not looking close enough you will miss that a third gray set actually has a foam inside of the cap. Never seen such “mod” before, and it helps with making an eartip cap stiffer to improve a seal in comparison to the same eartip without foam insert. I would have loved to see instead of white silicone set another set with a narrow bore opening, just something different for sound-shaping during tip rolling. Also included were 3 sets of medium size genuine Comply tips in different types (T-500, Ts-500, and Tx-500). DUNU is very proud of including Comply Tips and even mentioned about it specifically on the cover of their packaging.

You also get 1/4” adapter, an airplane travel adapter, and a shirt clip for the cable. These particular accessories are not at the top of my list, but some might find it useful. Furthermore, you will find a large metallic case for headphone storage. The case is sturdy with a good level of crush protection, but it’s too bulky for a portable use and not easy to open since you need to use both hands to pull it apart which often results in headphones and other accessories flying out. I would be very careful opening this case and never do it up in the air, only over some surface. Personally, I’m staying away from this case.

Moving along, you get custom earhooks for over ear cable fitment – another example of original slim design, not like generic ebay stuff under a dollar. You can also find two sets of different fins for a more secure fitment (each one comes with a spare). Unlike some cheap generic fins you’ll find with sports IEMs, these one are quality custom fins that go over the hook on the side of the shell – another original design element. Also, you will find a set of silicone rings which at first I didn't know where/how to apply until I realized they go on the back, protecting the edge of the shell. Maybe it’s overkill, but DUNU thought of every possible angle how to make fitment of their DN2kJ more comfortable.

Some of these accessories are intended not just for comfort but also for sound shaping. We are all familiar with “tip rolling” while going through variety of eartips to find the best fit/seal which affects the sound. Here you get a new way to fine tune your sound in addition to tip rolling. It’s very common to control amount of bass by closing one of the air vents in IEM. With a pinhole vent at the base of the nozzle, DUNU provides a silicone ring to cover that vent in order to increase bass quantity. That trick really works and you get a nice sub-bass boost, but as an artifact you also get a noticeable driver flex (a pop when you insert IEMs in your ear) since valve is closed and there is no path for the air to escape. Considering DUNU included this "bass-boost" ring as an option, I'm sure they consider this driver flex not to affect reliability of the driver covered under warranty. Personally, I prefer a natural bass rather than enhancement not intended by the original design.

Last but not least, you have a selection of 3 sets of color coded spacer rings that go on the nozzle to extend a sound path by shifting eartips placement. More distance between the driver and the eardrum introduces a little bit more space in sound depth which I was actually able to sense after a careful listening. So it was definitely not a gimmick, but I do want to admit that extra space sounds a bit artificial to my ears, like someone just added a bit of a reverb to a sound. Btw, considering DN2kJ has a nozzle with a series of grooves, there was no issue with eartips staying secure on it, even when they were not all the way in due to spacer rings.

Accessories.

dunu.dn2000j-08_zpsixnjgkqd.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-09_zps1nhsl4nf.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-10_zpskvseebtz.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-11_zpsmqavu3ex.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-12_zps7aljhr2r.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-13_zps6y9xqo31.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-14_zpsnoutcoks.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-15_zpsbomt84wt.jpg

When it comes to a design, DN2kJ definitely looks and feels like a premium high quality product. Starting with a cable and specifically the plug, you will find DUNU’s signature right angle gold plated connector with a sturdy grip metal housing and sufficient strain relief. Also, you will find their traditional cable tie in a form of a rubber flap that works great to keep your cable neatly wrapped when not in use. Y-splitter is trim and has a nice strain relief on a common side and a slide out chin-slider on the split side. When not in use, it neatly slides into the metal capsule of y-splitter. Another interesting thing about the cable in the section above the splitter is the hallowed out wires. You can actually feel that cable jacket is not very tight around the wires, creating this hallow space to help reduce the microphonics when cable rubs against your cloth. I find it to be quite an effective solution.

Cable attachment to the shell goes through a short but sturdy strain relief that has a bump on the Left side to distinguish it in the dark. Also keep in mind that due to a built in hooks for the fins (which also have L/R label on them), shells are not exactly symmetrical and I use that for L/R id as well. Shells are made out of stainless and aluminum materials with a very sturdy build and a nice finish. As DUNU pointed out, they worked hard on improving the ergonomics from the original DN2k release, and this “J” update is shorter and lighter, to the point where you don’t even need fins for a secure fitment, though I personally prefer to have them on. I already mentioned about vent at the base of the nozzle and also about nozzle itself having step-grooves for a better grip with an eartip core.

Design.

dunu.dn2000j-16_zpsb7amxryf.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-17_zpseltruebq.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-18_zpsfua1veow.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-19_zpsswg3vnsx.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-20_zpsg0yb8jwk.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-21_zpsiq5i0q75.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-22_zpsnpg0jvpk.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-23_zpskbezhezx.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-25_zpsmsb4ljth.jpg

DN2kJ fitment worked for me both wire down and wire up, and either way it felt very comfortable. Usually people with glasses prefer wire down, which is more traditional and makes it easy to take IEMs in and out of your ears. With wire up over your ear you don’t even need an earhook due to flexibility of the cable. But with a wire over your ears and the fin - your fitment is super secure to use DN2kJ while exercising or other activities where you move a lot and would worry that these 22g nuggets might fall out of your ears.

Fitment.

dunu.dn2000j-26_zps8962v2tc.jpg

dunu.dn2000j-27_zpsff2dvouh.jpg

The big question now: do these DN2kJ sound as good as they look? They absolutely do shine if you prefer a neutral BRIGHT tonality with analytical level of detail retrieval and a touch of mid-forward sound signature! Tip selection is very important because there is a very fine borderline where sound can get a bit harsh with wide bore tips. Even some of the narrow bore tips couldn't resolve this issue for me until I switched to foam eartips. That extra level of seal, thanks to foam eartips, was able to smooth out a top end just enough to take a few steps back from a sibilance borderline. It doesn't make a sound less detailed or takes away the brightness, it just smoothes out a few upper frequency peaks, just enough to make high frequency sound more pleasant to my ears, though YMMV.

The layering and separation is typical for a bright detailed sound where you can easily distinguish every instrument and vocals with a nice layering effect in-between. A sound is clean, vivid, airy, and spacious, with soundstage having above average depth and width. Even so the soundstage is not exactly 3D, the imaging has a good 3D placement of instruments and vocals in space. This is something you won't find when dealing with warm/smooth sound signature IEMs.

Low end has a rather impressive extension down to a velvety sub-bass rumble, perfectly balanced with a punchy fast mid-bass where you get a high quality bass slam without exaggerated quantity. Low end is not exaggerated or enhanced, but the bass is still present and compliments nicely the rest of the frequency range. Mid-bass separation from lower mids is surgically clean. Bass feels tight with a fast attack and fast decay, very articulate. Reminds me a bit of Titan performance and that is not a coincidence since DN2kJ introduces a new titanium dynamic driver.

Lower mids are lean and more on a neutral thinner side, while upper mids take up more focus, making sound signature a little mid-forward. If you prefer your sound with a warm smooth body, DN2kJ is not for you. It's all about accuracy, speed, and balance with analytical sound quality. Vocals sound very clean and detailed, but not as organic due to thinner lower mids. With some tracks it can even get a bit hot, but never harsh or artificial.

Treble has a very impressive extension, very clean, crisp, and snappy. With my foam eartips, I don't hear any sibilance, just a very clean and detailed airy sound. 40kHz "high-res" audio extension is impressive on a paper, though I'm not sure who can even hear that high.

I know that sound description could be very subjective thing, and for some people it’s easier to understand a sound signature as a relative comparison to some other popular IEMs, especially to other competitive hybrids.

- DN2kJ vs A83: A83 has a lot stronger mid-bass punch, very similar mids, though mids do feel more intimate; also A83 doesn't have the same level of treble extension. In comparison, DN feels more neutral/balanced, while A83 definitely stands out with a bigger low end impact. Also, A83 sound is wider while DN is deeper.

- DN2kJ vs A350: A350 has a lot more bass bloat, with low end feeling looser, lower mids are similar while upper mids a little more piercing and pushed slightly back, not as smooth. Treble has almost as good extension but it sounds a bit harsher. Soundstage is a little wider, depth is the same.

- DN2kJ vs A200: A200 has a stronger low end, similar lower mids, but upper mids are harsher and you will find treble to be more sibilant. In comparison A200 sound is more v-shaped and brighter/vivid in upper frequencies, while DN is more neutral and smoother (!!!) in comparison.

- DN2kJ vs A73: A73 low end has more weight with a higher quantity in comparison, especially mid-bass punch. Lower mids are thicker and warmer and add more to a body of a sound. Also, A73 upper mids are warmer and smoother, and a touch less forward. Treble doesn't have the same extension, but still bright, snappy, and crisp. Soundstage is very similar. In general, A73 is warmer with a bigger bass impact, while DN is leaner, more revealing, and more neutral.

dunu.dn2000j-24_zpsxzbdfxtv.jpg

Another very important thing to keep in mind, with a low impedance of 8 ohms it will be very important to pair up DN2kJ with a right source to make them shine. Testing with DAPs in my review collection, here is what I found.

- N6 - excellent pair up with a bright neutral airy spacious sound.

- QA360 - bass is tighter and a little more detailed, but also upper mids become a little harsher.

- AK120ii - bass is the same as N6, but upper mids/treble is a touch brighter/harsher.

- X5ii - excellent pair up with a bright neutral spacious sound, a touch less smoother upper mids (<N6).

- Note 4 - good pair up, neutral bright, but mids pushed a little more forward and bass is not as articulate.

For those planning to use DN2kJ with an external portable amp, here are a few of the test results running them with some of my amps from Line Out of Cayin N6.

- C5 - hissing (in low gain even at min volume), excellent with bass boost (more body), sound is thin/digital, very analytical and harsher than N6 alone.

- E12A - dead quiet (no hissing), with bass boost only a sub-bass gets affected, not as much body, sound is similar to N6 output, not as harsh as C5.

- HA-2 (amp) - hissing (in low gain, but not as much as C5), bass boost is more in mid-bass; sound is as harsh as using C5, maybe a tiny bit better.

Also, with my Note 4, there was no hissing, and it was actually a good pair up, with mids pushed a little more forward, and output being not as harsh as with C5 and HA-2, but on a level of E12A and N6. Adding HA-2 to Note 4 - hissing (but low level), switching between lo/hi gain produces the same amount of hissing, here bass-boost adds more body, sound is not as harsh, very resolving, probably the best pair up I heard so far. The transparent smooth characteristic of HA-2 helps DN2kJ to retain details and makes sound a bit smoother at the top.

Conclusion.

There is no doubt, DUNU DN2kJ looks premium, feels premium, comes with a premium set of unique sound shaping accessories, and has a very distinct clean premium sound. After the burn in (I typically run 100hrs with my headphones), I was still on the fence if I do or don't like the revealing sound signature of these hybrid IEMs. I do like a warmer fuller body sound with a little more bass impact, but every time I switched to another pair of headphones - I caught myself reaching out back for DN2kJ because I was missing that extra resolution in my sound, it was THAT addictive!!! I wouldn't say these new DUNU hybrids are going to replace or to make me forget about my other warmer/smoother IEMs, but I can tell you with certainty DN2000J going to set a new standard bar for me evaluating any future neutral-bright signature IEMs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones