• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of ExoGear ExoMount Tablet S CD mounting system w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of ExoGear ExoMount Tablet S with a new CD mounting system. ExoMount Tablet S CD slot mounts the iPad mini, Nexus 7, Galaxy Note 8 and more

Just in case if you missed my original ExoGear ExoMount Table S review, you can read about it in details here: http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-20...exomount-tablet-s-dashboard-mount-w-pics.html . It was a great product with a very innovative suction mount platform and a fantastic mounting system to hold any small 7"/8" tablet. So how do you make it better? You add a new option to utilize mounting inside of your "retired" CD player slot!

I'm not going into details of the mount itself since it was already covered in my original review. This CD-mounting uses an identical grip with all the bells and whistles of soft grip pads, easy one-touch button to adjust the size for any tablet with and without a case, spring mounted top pad for an additional secure fitment, a lock switch to adjust the vertical slider relative to the CD-mount, and 360 degree rotation/swivel mechanism. It's a very SOLID design which holds your tablet safe and secure. But instead of suction cup mounting platform, this one introduces a new CD mounting system. Some of you have probably seen this before from another vendor, but in case of ExoGear - they re-engineered the mechanism to make it more sturdier and safer when you put it inside of your CD player slot. In today's day'n'age, who even listens to CDs in the car? We have our usb sticks or smart phones, while a lot of the cars still come equipped with a standard CD/radio unit. Taking advantage of that space with Tablet S Mount attachment is a perfect solution! The part which goes inside of the CD is soft touch rubberized and should not damage anything. Once you insert it, just tighten the lock screw and you are in business!

Overall this is a great mounting system to accommodate a variety of small tablets. The built is very solid, the material is top notch, and it's very simple to operate with a one touch mount. Currently they are on Amazon for $34.95 shipped which is a great value as well.

Here are the pictures.

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-01_zpscb544c6b.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-02_zpsbec8b32c.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-03_zpsae1e49ee.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-04_zps6c59a5ec.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-05_zps7025aaa5.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-06_zpsba7d3a0f.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-07_zps5b466bae.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-08_zps999cf225.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-09_zpsb5974c2f.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-10_zps9aabea23.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-11_zps4087a54e.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-12_zps38fbadf9.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-13_zpscfc24f09.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-14_zps50fd2aec.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-15_zpsf214c287.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-16_zpse61912d1.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-17_zps89f9921c.jpg

exogear_exomount_tabletS_cd-18_zps7a7871f2.jpg

Thanks for all the pics. The ball & socket on the back of the mount looks like it might be able to attach to a Garmin sized ball I already have on the dash of my car. What size is the ball on this mount?

BTW, I love the Tablet S dash mount with the suction cup. I use it in my work van and it's rock solid. I'm thinking about getting this mount for my car.

Upvote 0
Even though it seemed like a CD slot mount wouldn't be that sturdy, I was so happy with the dash mount version of this that I decided to order one anyway. It arrived yesterday, and I'm not impressed with the stability of the mount. When tightened as much as I dare for fear of breaking the mount or CD slot, it still rocks back and forth vertically too much for my comfort. Here's a pic of it installed in my Ford Explorer, and a couple of videos showing how much it can rock up and down when installed. This mounting style may work okay for something lighter, like a phone, but for tablets I don't really think it's up to the task.

Exogear Tablet S CD mount - YouTube
Exogear Tablet S CD mount - YouTube

Attachments

• 2013-11-15 11.39.36.jpg
    2013-11-15 11.39.36.jpg
    886.3 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones