• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of Trident Cyclops case for Note 3 w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of Trident Cyclops series case for Galaxy Note 3. Cyclops Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 3

When you think about Tough Protection cases, lightweight and slim doesn't jump into your mind. Lightweight and slim doesn't go together with a case which has been grilled to meet or exceed MIL-STD810F standard by independent testing, including a requirement to survive 26 drops onto concrete from 4ft height. Well, I hope your phone/case will never have to experience this kind of a torture because guys at Trident already verified it for you ;) So let's take a closer look at how this Cyclops monster looks!

Arrived in a nice looking box with a clear front display, you can see the goods right away before even taking it out. I also liked how the back of the box has a detailed listing of every feature of this case. Once you take it out of the box, you can't help but notice how lightweight it is. At only 66g and with a very slim profile it will not add too much bulk to your Note 3. The next step made me scratch my head a bit because it seems that instructions were inside of the assembled case without a hint of how to open it. The reason for confusion was because the case has a built-in clear plastic screen protector and you have to remove the top frame in order to open it up. Minor show stopper, while the hint was to start by opening either headphone or micro-usb port cover and work your way from there.

So, let get back to the case. Don't let the light weight and slim design fool you. The case is made out of two fused layers of TPE and PC material to provide a serious shock-absorbing impact protection. The power and volume buttons are fully covered while still having a nice tactile response. The same with headphone and micro-usb ports, covered by a flexible flap of TPE layer extension. Every other port opening has a precise cutout and perfect alignment with a Note 3. You can also find small skid pads in the corners of outer PC shell layer to prevent case from sliding off any surface. So how do you apply that "removable" screen protector? It's permanently attached to an outer frame piece that goes on top and interlocks with a case. Once interlocked, it creates a solid seal with virtually no movement of the phone inside of the case. The screen protector has a cutout for home button, top speaker, front camera, and area around notification light. Just keep in mind, I'm using a display model of Note 3, so I didn't get a chance to test the actual touch sensitivity of this screen protector. Obviously, its not waterproof case, but you will be able to use your phone in some mild rain and wind with this extra seal protection. Furthermore, there is also a loop in the back to attach a lanyard for extra security protection while using your phone outdoors.

Overall, I found this case to provide a perfect balance between "slim" and "tough" for everyday use indoors and outdoors. The added protection of the built-in screen protector is just an icing on the cake, and with current availability on Amazon for $24 its an excellent value.

Here are the pictures.

trident_cyclops_n3-01_zpsba37f9e1.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-02_zpsea9d3be1.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-03_zpsceab9e50.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-04_zps79f49eb8.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-05_zps22e52e92.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-06_zpsc1432079.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-07_zps650c95eb.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-08_zps97d698fb.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-09_zpsb6a5157b.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-10_zps40baf9ef.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-11_zpsec2fae38.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-12_zpseb996df6.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-13_zpscf3e1eee.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-14_zpsb6a874e1.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-15_zps4101e13a.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-16_zps57c96947.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-17_zps318b7006.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-18_zps425d20e0.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-19_zpsd5747411.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-20_zps229e4b0c.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-21_zpsf2446a7f.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-22_zpsab628201.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-23_zpsb1135e47.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-24_zpscb06f165.jpg

trident_cyclops_n3-25_zpsf086b5ef.jpg

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones