• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of UAG Navigator/Scout for S4 with lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of UAG case for S4: URBAN ARMOR GEAR

I hope other vendors received the memo: UAG finally shipping their S4 cases. Competition is over. Go home! :D Yes, it's true, just received my Navigator (white) and Scout (black) S4 cases, while Aero (blue) and Outland (rustic) colors are also available. For the last 6 months using it on my Note 2, this has been my go-to case whenever I'm using stock battery. I do have a lot of great cases in my collection, but this case has always been at the top of the food chain for me when it comes to overall protection, durability, and functionality while still being slim and sexy with it's unique industrial design. It also withstand test of time still looking like brand new after a lot of abuse, and that's considering my Note 2 UAG case is white Navigator.

With S4 case, UAG went back to their original design from S3 rather than new "vent" design introduced with larger cases of Note 2 and iPad Mini. This makes perfect sense since we are talking about a smaller footprint phone in comparison to other phablet and tablet. The design is still high quality feather-lite composite construction made out of single piece thermo-plastic material used for inner lining and edge protection and also polycarbonate shell for a tough exterior protection. The combination of honeycomb pattern partial inner lining of the back and unique raised shaped of pc shell in the middle works as a perfect shock absorption if you drop the phone. The edge protection with a thicker bumper around top/bottom of the phone wraps the screen with a nice lip around the front of the phone keeping it save off the surface if you place it screen down or if you drop it by accident. The phone will not slide on any surface, either if you place it face up or down. As I mentioned, front bumper will protect it from sliding face down, while the top/bottom bumper has small standoff skid pads on the back to keep the friction when you place the phone face up. The back of the phone is complimented with industrial design grooves accompanied by fake rubbery torx screw accents. The case itself has a very secure and comfortable grip, and still very easy to slide in/out of the pocket or purse.

Every cutout is precise and generous. You can especially see it in micro-usb and headphone port openings that will accommodate any reasonably over sized connector. Camera and flash openings are partitioned to make sure you photos come out glare free. Special attention was given to power and volume buttons that cover original phone buttons. Those look and feel very hardware like and because of small slit on a side, they are easy to press and very responsive. In addition to the case, you also get a bonus screen protector and microfiber cleaning cloth. I can't comment on the quality of screen protector since I didn't install it (I have a display model of S4), but in my hand it felt thicker than cheap ebay screen protectors.

Dimensions of UAG S4 case per my measurements:

Weight: 1.1oz -> 30g
Length: 5.5in -> 138.7mm
Width: 2.9in -> 72.8mm
Thickness: 0.48in -> 12.3mm

Overall, I would consider this one of the top contenders if you are looking for a slim and lightweight case with a really good drop protection, convincing lip bumper, and unique eye catching design. Now, let the pictures do the rest of the talking:

uag_s4_01_zps52d186fc.jpg

uag_s4_02_zps08f8408b.jpg

uag_s4_03_zpse202c660.jpg

uag_s4_04_zps53d33a87.jpg

uag_s4_05_zps501583aa.jpg

uag_s4_06_zpsb4f08b25.jpg

uag_s4_07_zpsb4619ad9.jpg

uag_s4_08_zps313c119c.jpg

uag_s4_09_zps19750c19.jpg

uag_s4_10_zpsd84d470d.jpg

uag_s4_11_zpsb3b71efc.jpg

uag_s4_12_zps6449a4ad.jpg

uag_s4_13_zpsea24c09f.jpg

uag_s4_14_zpsa14d48ac.jpg

uag_s4_15_zps512d6947.jpg

uag_s4_16_zps444c6994.jpg

uag_s4_17_zpsb308e397.jpg

uag_s4_18_zpsfed5f252.jpg

uag_s4_19_zps401a644a.jpg

uag_s4_20_zpsa77f22d6.jpg

uag_s4_21_zpsc4e76474.jpg

uag_s4_22_zps42426c94.jpg

Dimensions of UAG S4 case per my measurements:

Weight: 1.1oz -> 30g
Length: 5.5in -> 138.7mm
Width: 2.9in -> 72.8mm
Thickness: 0.48in -> 12.3mm

Perfect! Just what I needed. It seems a bit slimmer than the Aegis.

How do you gauge the grippiness of the case on the side? Slippery or not?

I think I'm going to spring for the UAG and that vertical pouch. Hope that will be a winning combo. ;)

Upvote 0
The design is dual injected TPU/PC. The outer shell is PC and TPU is injected inside everywhere you see honeycomb pattern and also non-slippery grippy bumper lip. PC material is hard, with matte finish, scratch resistant, and as I mentioned before color-fade resistant. Had my white N2 Navigator for 6 months and it's the same color as before, anything gets on it - wipes off easily. The side/back grip is very good.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of other great cases, and they might serve a different purpose. You might want a wallet case to keep credit card/cash in there. Or some super bulky water/elements tight case for those extreme cases if you are working in a machine shop or in a garage. Or when Zerolemon will release their 3x capacity battery - you will not be able to use any of your favorite cases lol! But as a lightweight and super durable case - UAG deserves a top spot. Keep another thing in mind - you are not making a lifetime commitment ;) We are talking about the case. Buy a few, try it out, see how they feel - keep the one you like (that's what Amazon is for ;)). You might like a few cases you want to keep, who knows. Plus, at the rate of most of the people changing their phones once a year - there is always a new phone and a new case around the corner! :D

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input.

For a frame of reference, I had the GN2 for less than 10 days. I had 4 cases for it. ;)

I do not need to be case poor. So I'm trying to do my homework upfront so I don't buy so many cases. Returns are not free. ;)

BTW, I notice that the GS4 UAG cases on Amazon won't be available until June 11. Ouch.

Put the Speck Candy Shell in your hopper for a case review. It is a nice size for the GS4 and I think many will like it. It has grown on me and I would keep it were it not for the slippery hard back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones