Review of UE 600vi earphones with lots of pics!!!Tips

1. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

This is a review of Logitech Ultimate Ears UE 600vi earphones: UE 600 Noise-Isolating Earphones - Logitech

The choice of headphones is always a matter of personal preference and taste. But one thing will be common with all of them: no matter how much you will try to convince yourself that your pair of budget earphones sounds pretty good - as soon as you get a chance to do A/B comparison with a premium one, you will never going to look at your cheap earphones the same again. The problem is where do you set a limit for a premium pair since the price of top earphones can quickly get out of control in multiple hundreds of dollars. I personally always look into a quality earphones as an investment that will last for many years of use with your different phones and tablets, and the limit doesn't have to skyrocket and rather can stay in $100 reasonable range. Recently I got a chance to review a pair of UE 600vi earphones which I found to be one of the top sounding and the best fitting earphones I have ever tested, and for the price of $72 on Amazon its a great deal for such a piece of technology.

The earphones came in a very attractive package, nothing over the top but definitely with a premium touch. Included with UE 600vi was 5 pairs of silicone tips and 2 pairs of bonus original Comply tips which I found to be a huge surprise. You also get a detachable shirt clip, a hard protective case, a very detailed user documentation, and another interesting booklet labeled ALL ACCESS with pictures of a lot of different artists wearing UE earphones. The earphones itself have on-chord controls which include volume up/down and multifunction play/call button. Intended for seamless integration with Apple products, this is still a very functional remote for Android users. Yes, volume will not work because of Apple's own implementation of controls and built in resistors, but multifunction button is very capable! First of all it will play/pause any song of your default audio player as well as video player. With addition of the free app from Google play: JAYS Headset Control, I was able to add double-/triple-click control of skipping to next/prev song and also fine-tune time delay between clicks. The chord design of these is actually tangle resistant which I found especially useful when storing UE 600vi inside of the included hard protective case. There are a few other details that make these standout, such as in addition to letter designation of right vs left, they actually changed the right earphone to include "red" inner plastic part where red=right. The earphone plug is L-shaped and slightly angled which takes away a chord tension/strain when removing headphones - one of the common failures when chord stretches and breaks at the 3.5mm connector plug. Also, design itself is very light weight, and the shape of earphones has by far the best fit I have ever experienced, even with soft silicone tips. As a matter of fact, the design works great in both straight down and over the ears directions. I have been testing these for a few days, and can wear it for hours without even noticing them in my ears. Although it's hard not to notice it since one of their main functions is to provide noise isolation. You can't miss that!

The noise reduction of almost 26db is noticeable the second you plug these into your ears where everything gets pushed into background, attenuated to a level where it won't bother you. But the magic happens when you start playing the music. As soon as you hit play - you get exposed to one of the clearest sounds you ever heard. The power comes from a custom tuned single driver that brings an incredible crisp clarity to your ears. With so many earphones on the market where they only concentrate on delivering pounding bass, the first second you start listening in these you will notice somewhat lack of bass. It's there, but not as pronounced, and rather more balanced without any built-in enhancements to boost it like in other earphones brands/designs. What I have done right after receiving these to go through 12 hours burn in period where you play white-noise loop to burn-in earphones (very useful source of that which plays in the loop: White Noise Burn-in). That made a definite improvement in low frequency sound. Still, don't expect a pounding bass, since these earphones are more about true reproduction of the sound rather than enhancements which you can do yourself with Eq setting. The mids and highs coming out of these headphones are beyond crispy clear. You will hear details that you never heard before. In addition, per Logitech/UE own reference of 3D soundstage, you get a wider sound which is so hard to achieve with in-ear headphones since you are limited by acoustic space between your ears rather than sound traveling/bouncing around your room before reaching your ears. I don't consider myself a particular audiophile, but based on comparison testing, especially with my recent review of Klipsch S4A II, UE 600vi really stand out above the rest in the same category. Of course, it wouldn't be fair to compare UE 600vi to their other flagship UE 900 model where you have quad-driver design or other premium brands/models that cost 4x-5x as much. But in my opinion 600vi stands head and shoulders above competition in this $100 headphone category, with some which cost twice as much.

Overall, I highly recommend UE 600vi for a reason that it's a great value for such a premium sound. The design details is just a bonus, and the ability to use it's built-in media control in full capacity with Android phone is just an icing on a cake. Forgot to mention, it also makes great calls and people on the other side where very impressed with sound quality and lack of background noise considering the mic is placed with on-chord remote control and not right next to your mouth when using earphones hanging down. Of course, this is just my opinion, and I'm sure there will be some people who are so used to exaggerated bass they will find these not their cup of tea. But if you want a super clean and clear sound with just right amount of bass without any exaggeration - give UE 600vi a shot!

Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

Just wanted to follow up with my initial review since I got a chance to use these headphones more and to compare it to my other Bluebuds X, Tone+ HBS730, Klipsch S4A II, and even pairing it up with Antec bluetooth receiver to make it wireless. My comparison was purely from a sound perspective. The reason why I did that was because I realized in every review I comment about one or the other sounding better than previous pair. But it's always a relative comparison. A new pair of earphones sounds great up until you compare it to another one.

If I have to rank them in order of sound quality (price and wired/wireless aside) it will definitely be:

1) UE 600vi (not as deep bass, but very balanced and natural, and some of the cleanest mids/highs I ever heard - brings music to live)

2) Klipsch S4A II (bass is deeper but still clean, mids are ok, but highs feel rolled off in favor of bass enhancement)

3) Bluebuds (bass is deeper, but also feels a bit muddy, mids/highs don't sound as natural/clear - probably internal processing enhancement/compensation)

4) HBS730 (lack of bass, and over-exaggerated mids/highs, sounds harsh and not natural at all).

Also when using UE600vi with Antec bluetooth receiver, sound becomes more compressed and looses lows and top highs probably due to bandwidth limitation of bt transfer. It surely becomes convenient since you can use these earphones wireless now and get the full control of playback and volume from the attached receiver. But the only way to keep these sound naturally, you need to have a direct connection to the phone.

Another things I forgot to mention is a brilliant sensitivity of these headphones. Typically quality earbuds will have 100-105 dB SPL/mW, which means the sound is not as clear at low volume and you really need to crank it up where in some cases when it gets loud the distortion happens. These are 115 dB SPL/mW which means the sound is loud and clear even at low volume setting and you can crank it up loud with very little distortion. I never been an audiophile, but once you start comparing and appreciate the sounds, you want to learn more about it :)
  3. tigmd99

tigmd99 Well-Known Member

I have been reading about this earphone since you mentioned it on the prior post. It seems like a great deal with amazing sound...but, a lot of negative reviews on the build quality/durability of these earphones. That is where I am always afraid about when getting an affordable product like headphones...you get what you pay for in some cases. I wonder if Logitech sacrificed some build quality in favor of sound...while Klipsch S4 does the opposite sort of speak.

Klipsch S4 uses old driver design (not armatures like UE 600) to keep price low. These old drivers are relatively small too (8.5) but good with heavy bass but suck with mid to upper frequencies (or so I have read). So, Klipsch designed these old drivers with dual magnets to help them move faster (& respond faster) along with enclosures to improve sound...thus, helping mid and high frequencies somewhat. I think that this is why S4's are so popular...they are bass heavy for sure, which is popular with most (non-audiophile) folks, but it also has half-decent mid-range and tiny bit of high range. It certainly cannot compete in the mid-range and treble with the newer armature-driven earphones.

As a reward for still using yesterday's drivers, Klipsch did a pretty good job on build quality for the S4 II (2nd generation), pretty much eliminating most of the 1st generation's issues. And kept the price reasonable.
  4. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

I know what you are saying regarding UE 600vi. See, originally those were released 2 years ago as UE 600 without in-line remote. I have read about some of the quality issues, even UE logo rubbing off after a week or so of use. UE 600vi was introduced a year later with in-line remote and improved quality.

When you go to Amazon, UE600 and UE600vi are combined into one product review where 600 listed under "earphones" and 600vi under "headsets". When you look for majority of negative reviews talking about shorting out or quality problems, those refer to older 600 model.

I do wish they would have flat cable since it provides a more durable design, but it still feels durable enough. Also, L-shaped connector is definitely big plus since in my previous experience it's where I usually break cable. Sound wise between UE and Klipsch, they are both good but when you hear the clarify of highs in UE and experience the space of the sound (instead of in your ear closed space) - I can't go back to S4A II :D
  5. tigmd99

tigmd99 Well-Known Member

Ahh, I see. Very cool. For me, like you, once I heard Klipsch X7i, I can't go back to the S4A II. I find the X7i to be very balanced, which I can't say the same about S4.
  6. iamartimus

iamartimus Active Member

Love these earphones! Have owned a pair for over a year now, no problems, great build quality! Very comfortable, great sound quality.
    twister6 likes this.
  7. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide