Review: Sandisk 32gb micro sd

Last Updated:

1. Graylander

Graylander Active Member This Topic's Starter

I just got mine yesterday, here's what I think.

I got mine for $135, I'm not happy about it costing so much, but I need the memory. It's an authentic Sandisk card, none of the fake relabeled 2gb ones that people have been scammed with. Music takes awhile to copy. A cd about 10-20 seconds, which isn't bad itself, but when you copy 30gb of music at once it takes awhile.
    The card works in the phone, but it takes about 9 minutes to scan my card for media files. I don't have to do this often, but if I add or remove files it needs to scan to update, which is kinda a hassle.
    The default music player on the Vibrant doesn't work for me. After the media scanner finally completes the default app says "not enough space in music database". I use btunes, a better music application, and it works fine for me. I can view and play the music much better than the default app does, the only issue being the need to scan the card for new music

With a good music app like btunes it's good to have the extra memory, but beware it takes awhile to scan the card.

Advertisement
  2. elgibby

elgibby Well-Known Member

This isn't good news. I'm coming from a dumbphone and a 20 gb iTouch, and one of the things that tipped me to the Vibrant from the iPhone was that with mem cards, I could equal the capacity of the iPhone.

If the Vibrant can't handle 32gb in its db, it's a big deal for me.

Has anyone else run into this?

Re bTunes: the comments in Android Market on bTunes are really grim. I've tried a few other players and keep coming back to the stock player.

3. jkcheng122

jkcheng122 Well-Known Member

Try and see if MixZing works with the 32GB card.

4. BossDj

BossDj Well-Known Member

for a after market music player, Music Player by Social Soft has been a good alternative so far. functional, no errors, and comes with a widget for those that want one. its free on the market, and if you're rooted you can remove the stock one if you choose to do so

5. wildblue

wildblue Well-Known Member

So, 9 minutes every time you add or remove one file? And does it do a full scan on power up? Does the time depend on how many files are on the SD? Wonder if the class rating on the SD changes that time.

That's quite extreme. Talked me right out of getting one for now.

6. yatimameiji

yatimameiji Well-Known Member

I'm curious about that too, what is the class rating on the card. And I dont exactly remember but isnt there some class rating that the phone doesn't support? (was it sdhc that doesnt work?)

7. Graylander

Class 2. I'll let you know once I use it more how often it has to scan.

btunes works great for me, the only potential problem is the Froyo update which broke it for some people. But it's only $1.50 so it's not a big deal if it doesn't work.

8. Graylander

I just changed some files on the card, and when I unplugged the chord it wanted to analyze the card again. I can still play music off btunes while it does this, but some artist I removed still show up, but I'm assuming they will disapeer once it finishes scanning and/or I restart btunes.
    I downloaded mixZing, I'll let you know how it works when I get time later tonight.

9. mavictb

mavictb Well-Known Member

class 2 is pretty slow... just sayin. i rather go for a class 6 16gb. or even a class 10.

10. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

can you please explain this 9 mins for us. You mean everytime you reboot your phone, and it scans the sd card, it takes 9 mins? yikes!

ps...why did you pay that much for a class 2? 32 gb class 2 go for less than 135. no?

11. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

From a quick check on Amazon.com that actually looks about right. I did notice a Class 6 for $150. Yikes. Ain't gettin' one for myself anytime soon. :eek:

12. Graylander

I honestly wasn't thinking about the classes, I should of though...
    It's usable, just a little annoying. I rarely reformat my card and copy 30gbs at once and I don't mind waiting a bit for the new music to be scanned because I can still listen to old stuff.