1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Review ThreadGeneral

1. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

What I've managed to find so far -

Sony Xperia Z1 Review | Mobile Phones | CNET UK

Personally, I think it's unfair to judge battery life when the phone is so new. My experience is that batteries don't tend to perform at full capacity for a good week or so.

He also criticizes the camera. In all fairness, the pictures he's taken are gank. He does admit, that with a bit of tinkering, you can get some decent shots.

All I'm looking for in a mobile camera is the ability to snap a semi decent pic of my wee boy doing something awesome and use it for my wallpaper or print it and send it to my mum or dad or whatever. Looking at some of the test shots here & here, I think the Z1 will do ok with that.

I'll guess we'll have to wait and see what the other reviews say.
    ------------------------------------------
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/2293595/sony-xperia-z1-review

http://unleashthephones.com/2013/09/15/sony-xperia-z1-review/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcKwx3GxipQ

Video review. He seems very, very taken with the handset.
    http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-sony-xperia-z1-next-frontier-mobile-imaging

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/123671-sony-xperia-z1-review

http://www.t3.com/reviews/sony-xperia-z1-review

I'll add more reviews when I can find them.

Advertisement
    :
  2. maverick1103

maverick1103 New Member

El Presidente likes this.
  3. El Presidente

Excellent
  4. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

Trusted Reviews have released their review on the Z1

They say:-
    Pros
    Dedicated camera button for underwater shooting
    Curvy. more comfortable design
    Speedy, overall performance

Cons
    Disappointing low-light camera performance
    Average viewing angles
    Flimsy latches protecting ports and connections

Should I buy the Sony Xperia Z1?
    The Sony Xperia Z1 is a phone that addresses the key issue that plagued its predecessor, the design. The curvy look is a subtle change and makes the 5-inch smartphone so much more comfortable to hold and operate, but that's not to say it's not big. Adding a camera button makes having a waterproof design more useful now that you can actually take pictures and shoot video underwater. It
    El Presidente likes this.
  5. Prozac69

Prozac69 New Member

Well I received my Z1 together with the QX10 lens at 11.46am this morning and by 12.32pm it was boxed up and back in the bag ready to go back to the Carphone Warehouse!!

Don't get me wrong, there are good points but the bad outweigh those for me.

It's a gorgeous phone to hold. The weight of it screams build quality and the glass and aluminium are lush to look at but.....

Those bezels!! WTF?

I have an original Samsung Galaxy Note 1 that is now 2yrs old and the bezels on that are smaller than those on the Z1! It's supposed to have a 5" screen, the same as my Note 1, and yet it isn't as wide and with the on screen buttons not as tall either! And what's with that huge black space at the bottom of the screen? What's that all about? This is the main reason for taking it back. I don't want to go from a 2yr old 5" screen to a brand new phone with smaller screen real estate.

I had a quick play of the camera and the pictures displayed on the screen were 'OK'. Didn't blow me away as I was expecting going from an 8mp to a 21mp. And when I tried the Augmented Reality setting it would only work on close up objects. If I held the phone up and pointed about 6 foot away the AR wouldn't work.

I also experienced a crash. Can't remember what I was doing at the time, possibly playing with the camera, but the phone just froze, crashed and reset itself!!

So overall, for a flagship phone, I wasn't overly impressed with my hour of use. And I didn't even bother getting the QX10 lens out of the box because I had already decided to return the phone!

For the time being I'm sticking with my 2yr old Galaxy Note 1. It's never let me down. It's not an HD screen and yet I've never actually seen a pixel on it. And the 8mp camera shoots good pictures and takes 1080p video. So what more do I need. Not the Z1 I'm afraid!

Sorry Sony but you've disappointed me with the Z1.
  6. Phil Wales

Phil Wales Member

How were you taking the shots it only shoots in 8mp in superior auto, you need to go manual for 20.7mb.

I think the bezel is something todo with the waterproofing, not sure though.
  7. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

The Register has published a review of the Z1 after some time with the device.

Getting it right on the second attempt: Sony Xperia Z1

It's a fair and balanced review, but for those who don't want to read it here's a quote from the summary:

LuvMusic likes this.
  8. xacto

xacto Well-Known Member

For the ones worried by the battery life, I put it to test; 4 hrs and 40 minutes of screen time, and after 20 hrs on battery, I still had 10% left. So I am pretty sure that the first review I saw mention battery life wasn't good, I can testify they didn't even test it.
  9. El Presidente

The trouble with early reviews that say battery life (on any handset) is terrible is that it takes a while for new batteries to work as they should (IMO anyway).

I'll never judge battery life on a handset until I've used it for at least a fortnight.
  10. xacto

xacto Well-Known Member

True enough that, El Presidente. I have been using my Z1 for the past month and the half, and battery life is just more than enough for me.

And all in all, the phone is a joy to use.
  11. El Presidente

Yep, I get over 5 hours screen on time, dependant on what I'm doing.

I love it! :)