Reviews and Announcements for the HTC Evo 4G LTEGeneral

1. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Well-Known Member

Fun note, there is a 3D EVO LTE in there, also one without the red on the kickstand at 1:30, which I really like. Might have some sanding to do...
  2. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member

Nice vid, the silver one for sure. The red stripe looks like crap.
    WifiMaxed likes this.
  3. Bnice

Bnice Guest

I like that silver kickstand trim for sure. I was wondering why they did not just match the silver or metal trim bazel around the phone with the kickstand.
  4. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Skid71, RichboyJhae and EarlyMon like this.
  5. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

Here is the full announcement event for those that can't get enough

HTC EVO 4G LTE launch event - YouTube

The screen capture above makes it look like some Mystery Science Theatre 3000 episode :D
  6. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Lorak and EarlyMon like this.
  7. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

holy crap... all i have to say is i skipped straight to the HD Voice section and DAMN! if that is what i can expect... realistically... well fuuuu, i just pissed my pants!

i may NEVER have to say "Wait, what? i couldn't hear you" ever again
  8. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

it only works with another HDVoice enabled device... so.. only LTevo has that feature! only Sprint has it, for now...

I wounder.. if it also requires fast Data speeds too!
    i remember reading that it does!! need 4G or wifi..
  9. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

As in, the call will have to be made over wifi (or 4G) to be HD? Interesting.
  10. PyroSporker

Came across some nice side by side display comparison pictures of recent Displays including the One-X

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Source phonearena.com

I'm running on the assumption that we are getting the exact same display panel as the One-X (although there could always be variations and different suppliers).

I've thought from the beginning the One-X SLCD2 panel they have has had a slight warm color temperature tint to it. This shows that pretty well. However, I don't think it is too warm. Though it remains to be seen in hand.

It looks somewhere in the spectrum of natural to me. Better than washed out cold white, and much better than blue white tint with 'screen door effect'. Natural colors tend to be better on the eyes than blown out exaggerated colors in my opinion.

Can't wait to see it in person
  11. Bnice

Bnice Guest

Granite1 and EarlyMon like this.
  12. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I was confused. At some points the HTC looked nearly white while the Nokia looked blue. Then the HTC looked yellow while the Nokia looked mostly white. Then around 2:42 they are both on axis to the camera, and the HTC looked better to me.

Maybe the illuminated displays and that eerie bright table threw the sensor off in the camera that he used to make the video?
  13. Bnice

Bnice Guest

Yeah, the overall light condition wasn't the best.
  14. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

If you look at the background, which appears to be a white table illuminated by tungsten lighting, the video camera appears to show it as white at the beginning, which means the video cam is white balancing on the table, but toward the middle, the table starts appearing a lot warmer in color temp, which means that the camera decided to choose something else as the basis for white balance. That will definitely cause the changes in tint in the phones' display as seen by the video camera.
    RichboyJhae and EarlyMon like this.
  15. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

OK, many thanks! I thought that table was illuminated but then I started to question it.

And tungsten lighting certainly explains it.
    marctronixx likes this.
  16. RichboyJhae

RichboyJhae Well-Known Member

I'm thinking our display will be just fine. I had the exact same feelings throughout the video Early but further throughout I realized that El Tevo looked much more natural as opposed to the Lumia with the blue tint that I hate so much. Pertaining to the side by side posted by Pyro, I feel comfortable saying that the One X screen definitely looks the best there. It's best competition is the iPhone 4 which has a screen much smaller so it's beautiful to see that we win on both fronts along with size and resolution.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  17. PyroSporker

Up close sub pixel arrangement for the Galaxy S III vs. HTC One X.

[​IMG]
    (Thanks Engadget)
    marctronixx, EarlyMon and RichboyJhae like this.
  18. NicksGarage

NicksGarage Well-Known Member

19. REEF

REEF Well-Known Member

20. caborobo

caborobo Well-Known Member

WifiMaxed and marctronixx like this.
  21. WifiMaxed

WifiMaxed Well-Known Member

22. PyroSporker

NeoteriX likes this.
  23. Citizen Coyote

Citizen Coyote Well-Known Member

Engadget just posted their review of the LTEvo, based on their test drive with the device in New Orleans. You can read it here:

HTC EVO 4G LTE for Sprint review -- Engadget

Overall they really liked it, but I have a few quibbles with the review. One, they make a big stink about the phone not being a world phone (i.e., no GSM radios). Seriously? Having dual radios is a feature, not a requirement. It's a CDMA phone, you accept that it won't run on a GSM network unless it's a phone like the Moto Photon, which was specifically advertised as a world phone. Good lord. I wonder if they complained as heavily about the CDMA iPhone not being a world phone? :rolleyes:

Two, for some reason they're annoyed that the LTE SIM is integrated into the phone and not user accessible. Is this really a big deal? Last I knew, the various carriers in the US do not operate compatible LTE networks. Will people be able to buy a Verizon phone and slap a Sprint LTE SIM in it (or vise versa)? I'm guessing not, so who cares if the user can't get to the SIM? That's like complaining that the radios are non-user accessible. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, and this really is a big deal for some reason, I'd like to know).
    entiel and NeoteriX like this.