• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reviews and Announcements for the HTC Evo 4G LTE

From what I have read and seen, the option to turn off LTE completely is DEEP within the options. It's a pain to get to.

Phil Nickinson posted this over at androidcentral:

25159d1336605793-ive-got-evo-ask-me-anything-uploadfromtaptalk1336605792163.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ran into similar on the MoPho. I helped those guys write a widgetsoid script to make the missing widget to turn off and on the radio buried in their setup.

If it can be done for the MoPho it can be done on any phone! (That option is buried deep in the MoPho, I never would have figured out the widget on my own without the help of this community!)

Upvote 0
Engadget's review has been updated. One quote I found of interest:

"Update: We finally put the EVO 4G LTE through our usual battery rundown test (looping a video with brightness and volume set to 50%, Bluetooth disabled, WiFi turned on but not connected and CDMA plus LTE enabled) and the phone lasted eight hours and 55 minutes, just like AT&T's One X -- this despite a larger 2000mAh battery (vs. 1800mAh on its cousin) and a strong CDMA signal. The difference is likely due to the LTE radio being enabled without a network available. We were unable to test HD Voice because the feature is not expected to start rolling out on Sprint's network until "late 2012", according to a spokesperson. Regular calls, however, sounded clear on both ends and reception was problem free."

HTC EVO 4G LTE for Sprint review (updated) -- Engadget
It's a sad state of affairs when Engadget is too lazy or unwilling to test it to actually see if it's the LTE antenna that's causing the battery discrepancy.

Also, it's pretty peculiar the criteria they use for testing. Bluetooth off? Wifi on but not connected? LTE on? Who makes these decisions, are they standardizes across all phones, and WHY?!

Upvote 0
Not sure what to make of this article. Sounds like intial launch is somehow market specific. Once again not sure what take away from this article. Does sound like peeps that order through sprint r in good shape

http://mashable.com/2012/05/14/sprint-lte-evo-4g-launch/

Can anyone give credence to this? I live in Texas haha.

Go straight to the source, don't get the run around and mis-interpretations from other places.

Sprint Newsroom | News Releases

As I understand it, those are locations that will have extra launch festivities. Some stores in those markets will be opening early at 8am and will have things going on throughout the morning and early afternoon related to the launch and sale of the Evo 4G LTE. The rest of the country will be opening at normal Sprint hours and will operate as usual, selling the Evo 4G LTE as well.

I don't find it a coincidence that many of these 8am stores are located in or near markets that are scheduled to get the LTE rollout first.

Don't quote me on any of this, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is an LTE preview in these stores. Possibly swag and giveaways? Demonstrations and feature guides? It would also be extremely awesome if they had a location or two set up to test and demo HD Voice like they did at the reveal party in New York.[/speculation]

Upvote 0
A slew of reviews have come out in the past 24-48 hours... (apologies if they were linked above already)

HTC Evo 4G LTE review: Almost great - Computerworld

Hands On With HTC's New Evo, Sprint's Flagship Android Phone | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

HTC EVO 4G LTE Review - Business Insider

HTC EVO 4G LTE Lightning Review: The Phone That Would Be King (But Isn't) (Gizmodo savages Sprint/the Evo :( )

HTC Evo 4G LTE Review: Sometimes The Ugly Ones Try The Hardest (not a fan of the industrial design either)

HTC Evo 4G LTE (Sprint) Review | Smartphone Reviews

HTC Evo 4G LTE Phone Review | PCWorld

Review: HTC EVO 4G LTE for Sprint (Phone Scoop)

My "meta-analysis" ( hehe :D ) is that the reviews are mixed, though lean positive. Most of the marks against the Evo include criticisms of the lack of LTE and how aged (slow) Sprint's 3G feels in comparison, marks against the industrial design (and the fingerprint prone plastic RF cover)

There is almost universal praise for the quality of the screen, reviewers are happy with an excited about the kickstand, many praise the dual-stage camera button, the thinness and build quality, the capabilities of the camera, and the phone is generally fast and snappy.

The reviews were mixed on the issue of battery life (may be related to the absence of LTE, though none of the reviewers appear to try to test that hypothesis), and call quality, with some reviewers pleased with the battery (and others not) and some reviewers pleased with call quality (and others not so much).

Other observations are welcome, though for the love of god, if someone mentions the word "bias" with respect to a negative review, I will flip out :D

Upvote 0
My "meta-analysis" ( hehe :D ) is that the reviews are mixed, though lean positive. Most of the marks against the Evo include criticisms of the lack of LTE and how aged (slow) Sprint's 3G feels in comparison, marks against the industrial design (and the fingerprint prone plastic RF cover)

Other observations are welcome, though for the love of god, if someone mentions the word "bias" with respect to a negative review, I will flip out :D

Agreed, let's not use that 'B' word you mentioned.

I'm seeing lots of knocks against the "Now Network". The mountain that "Network Vision" is going to have to climb is growing larger and larger.

Upvote 0
Go straight to the source, don't get the run around and mis-interpretations from other places.

Sprint Newsroom | News Releases

As I understand it, those are locations that will have extra launch festivities. Some stores in those markets will be opening early at 8am and will have things going on throughout the morning and early afternoon related to the launch and sale of the Evo 4G LTE. The rest of the country will be opening at normal Sprint hours and will operate as usual, selling the Evo 4G LTE as well.

I don't find it a coincidence that many of these 8am stores are located in or near markets that are scheduled to get the LTE rollout first.

Don't quote me on any of this, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is an LTE preview in these stores. Possibly swag and giveaways? Demonstrations and feature guides? It would also be extremely awesome if they had a location or two set up to test and demo HD Voice like they did at the reveal party in New York.[/speculation]

So LTE/NV will be turned on Friday?

Upvote 0
So LTE/NV will be turned on Friday?

We know it's already turned on in Athens, GA....so perhaps they are flipping the switch in those other specific cities.

I was just speculating.

I doubt that they will greenlight the full markets, but it would make sense that they would have some way for people to test the LTE network inside Sprint stores? Tommy, when the Evo 4G came out didn't Sprint put a WiMax repeater in some stores that let people test out the new network (Can't remember if you were with Sprint at that time)?

Upvote 0
Either way, the original reason for the June XX release date was that the phone was not provisioned correctly or testing correctly in Sprint's LTE testing; instead of determining the software fix first and then shipping, they are shipping without the fix.

It could very well be that regardless of whether the geographic locations are greenlit, that the phones will need an OTA update first before any LTE magic can happen.

Upvote 0
Either way, the original reason for the June XX release date was that the phone was not provisioned correctly or testing correctly in Sprint's LTE testing; instead of determining the software fix first and then shipping, they are shipping without the fix.

It could very well be that regardless of whether the geographic locations are greenlit, that the phones will need an OTA update first before any LTE magic can happen.

True enough. They could always have an LTE live demo phone or something? Kinda like how they had an HD Voice live demo phone at the reveal party.

2 parts speculation 1 parts wishful thinking, stir vigorously
(I don't even live anywhere near these early open stores. I just see an opportunity Sprint could use)

Upvote 0
I was just speculating.

I doubt that they will greenlight the full markets, but it would make sense that they would have some way for people to test the LTE network inside Sprint stores? Tommy, when the Evo 4G came out didn't Sprint put a WiMax repeater in some stores that let people test out the new network (Can't remember if you were with Sprint at that time)?

I did work for Sprint when the EVO 4G was released, but it was in a mall at a itty bitty kiosk LOL. From what Mashable wrote, it seems as though the initial markets will be turned on. All I know is that nothing has been turned on here in Houston. 3G is as crappy as it's ever been lol

Reactions: PyroSporker
Upvote 0
I was just speculating.

I believe they had WiMax mobile towers setup at CES in Vegas when it was shown...and then at CITA....and then at the Google I/O event? I do remember them doing it. I'm almost 100% sure they had 4g towers set up at CES. They def. had a "hotspot" for 4g in 2010.

Sprint Overdrive 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot Launch Party CES 2010 Part 1 - YouTube

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones