1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Reviews/impressions about the Moto Xoom.

1. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Well-Known Member

It will only use the 3G if there is an app doing something. Like polling the weather (weatherbug) or checking gps location etc.
  2. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

Always defaults to wifi.
  3. kennychaffin

True but his question was abt without wifi...
  4. rjoudrey

Trying to be helpfull, wanted to know it would be on for no reason.
  5. kennychaffin

Understood and you are absolutely right. That's one thing I was unsure about before I got mine and saw it working. ;)

I'm loving my Xoom more every day I use it! :D
  6. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

well you can just shut it off over night while charging to...
  7. rjoudrey

That's why I bought 3g, gives seamless connectivity and will not cost much with alittle discipline.
    kennychaffin likes this.
  8. dbldwn02

dbldwn02 Active Member

I've had mine for about a week, but I'm 50/50 on keeping it. It's awesome. Don't get me wrong. But I'm not sure if it's worth the $800. I love Android but 3.0 feels very incomplete. The Market UI is extremely fragmented and flaky. No update on when we might be getting flash. (I REALLY WANT TO TRY PLAYON WITH THIS THING!)

I don't use it for much except playing jet-car stunts on it. I might browse the web on it a bit, but even the web browser is kinda jacked. Dolphin doesn't work 100%.

I know all of this stuff will eventually get ironed out. I like being an early adopter, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be keeping this one. Might just have to bite the $70 re-stocking. I don't know. I'm going insane on whether or not to keep it.

I really only want to use it for video and occasional games. I think the Archos 101 might be a better choice, at less than half the price. Yea, it's not as great a tablet but it does what I need it to do. I wish they would come out with Flash within the next 7 days to make this decision a lot easier. Come on Motorola! I believe in you!
  9. zipur

zipur Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=dbldwn02;2399669]I've had mine for about a week, but I'm 50/50 on keeping it. It's awesome. Don't get me wrong. But I'm not sure if it's worth the $800. I love Android but 3.0 feels very incomplete. The Market UI is extremely fragmented and flaky. No update on when we might be getting flash. (I REALLY WANT TO TRY PLAYON WITH THIS THING!)

I don't use it for much except playing jet-car stunts on it. I might browse the web on it a bit, but even the web browser is kinda jacked. Dolphin doesn't work 100%.

I know all of this stuff will eventually get ironed out. I like being an early adopter, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be keeping this one. Might just have to bite the $70 re-stocking. I don't know. I'm going insane on whether or not to keep it.

I really only want to use it for video and occasional games. I think the Archos 101 might be a better choice, at less than half the price. Yea, it's not as great a tablet but it does what I need it to do. I wish they would come out with Flash within the next 7 days to make this decision a lot easier. Come on Motorola! I believe in you![/QUOTE]

Man up and keep it just think soon it will do this... LINK HERE Watch near the end of the video
  10. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

This is a well balanced and interesting Xoom review.

More...
  11. NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Maybe the one at my local VZW just had a bad screen. It was running some kind of verizon app. I did browse around on the home screen and played angry birds though. Doesn't the text on the homescreen look like it's made to fit similar to the way texts look when you put your browser to 90% zoom? It also just looks a bit dim and grainy compared to the iPad's lower res screen.

Then again, it might just be a defective unit based on how no one seem to have an issue with it.
  12. gamul1

gamul1 Well-Known Member

I came across the below article and wondered what everyones experience with Honeycomb itself has been on the Xoom?

Honeycomb 'Unstable, Poorly Designed' Says Analyst - www.enterprisemobiletoday.com

While I am asking about Honeycomb, I am asking here in the Xoom forum because the Xoom is the only place (legit anyway) that has Honeycomb.

Are you finding Honeycomb to be unstable like the article says? If not unstable, are you have honeycomb specific issues?

Just curious - so much of the threads so far have been about the Xoom specificly but I am not sure I have seen much discussion on Honeycomb on a tablet experience chatter.

Thanks all.
  13. Ltgk20

Ltgk20 Active Member

I haven't had much of any problem with mine. I've had the rare force close but it hasn't been but two or three times since I got it. Honeycomb and the Xoom just work for me.
  14. rjoudrey

I have had only a few force closes. Runs pretty much as good as any other Android device I have owned. Market appears to be the only really buggy app.
  15. tachnician199

tachnician199 Member

I have never had to engage a hard reboot, but I have had to reboot it a couple times. Mostly because the web was slow. I think we need to see more apps made specificially for honeycomb before we call it a failure. Also Google will support there OS and we will see improvements.
  16. gamul1

gamul1 Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks guys! It sounds like some Apple wank going overboard with unfounded critism then. The article really made it sound bad and I had heard no such thing. Made me wonder if I had missed some thread about honeycomb stability.

On a side note - I have an iPod touch. Damn apps crash all the time. On apple products they don't call it a force close. they just freeze up and then disappear. Or worse, just freeze up.

Thanks again!
  17. whippintegra

whippintegra Well-Known Member

I am on my second xoom. The first one was jacked up and I had to return it, it was crashing every time I shut it off and iHad to do a hard reset every time I wanted to use it. This one is great, there are a few programs that don't work properly but they are probably designed for a phone not a tablet.
  18. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

19. brian1972ca

brian1972ca Member

Did you really think anyone in that line would endorse a Xoom, lol?

Like asking a line of fans at Fenway how the Yankees look this year.

Day 2 with my Xoom and I am still as impressed as I was when I turned it on. I really love the notification when an email comes in, very nice touch.
  20. jv59

jv59 Member

Just purchased a Xoom. It's a super tablet. The display is gorgeous and the speed of the browser is amazing. :D I don't understand why so many people like the iPads. Don't they bother comparing the specs? :confused:

If you like Android, I would recommend getting one.
  21. Bnice

Bnice Guest

22. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

This is indeed an excellent review. The two sentences I took away from it are those:

I guess what they are saying is that the Xoom/Honeycomb combination is not ready for prime time. It is probably smart to wait a few months before dishing out $800.
  23. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

That's a fair bet. Hopefully in that time the price will have come down enough or the WiFi version will be available for folks.