• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
For people curious to see what the 'experts' think...

Don't know who this yahoo is, but he posted a generally positive review:

HTC Thunderbolt Review

This video review isn't bad:

MobileTechReview.com Discussion Forums: HTC Thunderbolt Video Review

From one of those links:

"We could have used some extra battery life and a camera with better low light sensitivity, but our main concern centered around the Thunderbolt's tendency to freeze randomly like a deer in the headlights. After spending over a month with the HTC Inspire 4G, we have seen the phone freeze or glitch up intermittently, but it's usually due to an unstable application. The fact that the Thunderbolt called it quits while we were browsing the Internet led us to proceed with caution..."

Deal breaker for me (picky as I am about something like that in a new device, right out of the box).

We'll see how much of that freezing up gets reported here over time. Maybe the reviewer just happened to get a rare one with that problem.

Upvote 0
From one of those links:

"We could have used some extra battery life and a camera with better low light sensitivity, but our main concern centered around the Thunderbolt's tendency to freeze randomly like a deer in the headlights. After spending over a month with the HTC Inspire 4G, we have seen the phone freeze or glitch up intermittently, but it's usually due to an unstable application. The fact that the Thunderbolt called it quits while we were browsing the Internet led us to proceed with caution..."

Deal breaker for me (picky as I am about something like that in a new device, right out of the box).

I saw that also but maybe the update they are pushing out fixes this or maybe they even corrected it with all of the testing they were doing and delaying the phone.

Upvote 0
Picked mine up this morning, no problems after about 20 minutes of initial set up, web browsing, installing apps, widgets, etc. Unfortunately have to actually work for awhile, and be playing more with it later. So far it's flying through everything, no hitches yet.

Congratulations on getting a new T-bolt, karmamule. :)

That goes for everybody in the forums here who gets one. Tell us about it! ;)

Upvote 0
How is the size and feel? I had a droid x and just want to get an idea

Noticeably wider than my Incredible, and a bit weightier, but not unpleasantly so. Rubberized back has an excellent feel to it. Overall feels very good. Definitely a phone with "presence". :)

One surprising plus I didn't anticipate: I'm finding the onscreen keyboard WAY better to use with the bump in screensize. Lots less typos/corrections needed than on my Incredible.

Upvote 0
Congratulations on getting a new T-bolt, karmamule. :)

That goes for everybody in the forums here who gets one. Tell us about it! ;)
I was vacillating on waiting for some reviews and getting one immediately. Guess which I chose? So since now I have my trusted rooted Eris, my rooted DI, and a new TB here tomorrow, I canceled insurance on every line in the house. That will save me well over $20 / month and I still have a valid upgrade just in case something happens to any of them.
As for the guy with a freezing internet connection. I'm sure root will take care of issues like that. You thinking of upgrading?

Upvote 0
I'm headed to Verizon right now. I want to handle the T-bolt and a Xoom (again.. lol).

I'm nearly sure I'll get the T-bolt on an added line. My kid wants my Fascinate (headed to university this Fall).

Great to see you here! :)

Same here Frisco.

I'm afraid to even look at a Xoom no less hold one. The credit card would probably fly out of my pocket without me even knowing it.

Upvote 0
Well... a-HEM.. I'm back.

I spent about 10 minutes with both T-bolts at the big Verizon store here. I hate to say it, but .. :( .. not impressed.

Two big deal breakers:

- The speed and display were not superior to my Fascinate, except a bit larger and just a little bit snappier in web browsing, which brings me to..

- It locked up several times at the CNN news site, as well as Fox News and then at ESPN, and, get this, on both Thunderbolts they have there.

I talked with the guy about them, about the issues in the browser, and he said that he didn't know anything about it, except that "about half the people that come in looking for one end up not getting it."

Well.. perhaps the update addresses that? I asked him about how the updates are running, and he didn't know that either.

I did get a new Galaxy Tab, though. ;) We already have one, but it was being passed around here, so I got my own (they're only $199 now). :)

Upvote 0
Well... a-HEM.. I'm back.

I spent about 10 minutes with both T-bolts at the big Verizon store here. I hate to say it, but .. :( .. not impressed.

Two big deal breakers:

- The speed and display were not superior to my Fascinate, except a bit larger and just a little bit snappier in web browsing, which brings me to..

- It locked up several times at the CNN news site, as well as Fox News and then at ESPN, and, get this, on both Thunderbolts they have there.

I talked with the guy about them, about the issues in the browser, and he said that he didn't know anything about it, except that "about half the people that come in looking for one end up not getting it."

Well.. perhaps the update addresses that? I asked him about how the updates are running, and he didn't know that either.

I did get a new Galaxy Tab, though. ;) We already have one, but it was being passed around here, so I got my own (they're only $199 now). :)
Thanks for that info.

Upvote 0
Great experience so far.
LTE is extremely fast. Speed Test App showing 1200+ kbps Down and 30,000 kbps up (cant be real)
Went to the Speakeasy.net test and got 1200 kpbs down and 2,000 kpbs (much more realistic)

Only problem I'm having is the Sync with Facebook. It did it with no problem but now that it's adding people's pics to their profile the pictures look pretty bad. Very Pixilated and distorted. Almost 8 bit NES days.

Anyones getting this?
They are really nice on my Dinc.

Upvote 0
Noticeably wider than my Incredible, and a bit weightier, but not unpleasantly so. Rubberized back has an excellent feel to it. Overall feels very good. Definitely a phone with "presence". :)

One surprising plus I didn't anticipate: I'm finding the onscreen keyboard WAY better to use with the bump in screensize. Lots less typos/corrections needed than on my Incredible.

I'm coming from an Incredible too and have the same reaction as above. Nice size (doesn't feel too big), screen is gorgeous, much easier to type on than my Incredible.

Speed is great. It's flying through everything I throw at it. Just installed a bunch of market apps over 4G and downloaded and installed about 20 apps in 5 minutes.

So far, VERY happy with the purchase. If you are in doubt I urge you to go and play with one for awhile - I think you'll be convinced to buy. VERY nice phone and if you have 4G in your area....prepare to be impressed.

Upvote 0
How is the size and feel? I had a droid x and just want to get an idea

I have a DX and just checked out the TBolt at the VZW store (I'm picking one up later). The size is essentially identical to the DX... The screen is wider, but it stretches all the way to the edge, so the DX and TBolt are the same width. The TBolt is actually slightly shorter then the DX.

All in all I was surprised that the TBolt is essentially the same size as the DX. :)

Upvote 0
Surprised no mention of the 8gb internal. Is some of it missing to the user? 8GB should yield about 7.4gb of usable space. If only 2.4 or so showing, where is the other 5gb?

Incredible has 8gb and all is available (768 mb for apps and 6.6gb for media).

Where is the rest of the space and why advertise it if not available?

As far as battery life, it will take a few days to get a clear read on that. None the less, if using 4G, that and the 4.3" display will probably mean a charger trip during the day for medium use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones