Revised procedure for persistent root!

1. zennmaster

zennmaster Member

The method that's been posted around, originally (I think) from Rootzwiki works in principle, but does not give a persistent root, and the procedure needs some fleshing out. This is the method I used to achieve persistent (although reversible) root on the Rev.

Here goes:

1) Get ADB working (I'm using Linux, BTW, so I can't really help with Windows issues). Get into a terminal.
    When the command adb devices produces an output like:

Code:
    List of devices attached 
    [xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]    device
    Then you are in business.

2) On the phone, make sure you have "Internet Connection" selected as your USB connection mode, and USB Debugging selected in Menu -> Applications -> Development (as previously discussed, USB debugging will remain greyed out until Internet Connection is selected).

Grab SU, Rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin and busybox, which are all in a zip file I have attached below.

3)Place all three files in a convenient location for pushing with adb (your /[Path-To-SDK]/platform-tools directory would be a great idea)

4)We need to get our rooting tools onto the phone, so from your terminal, type:

Code:
    adb push su /data/local/temp
    adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/temp/rage
    adb push busybox /data/local/temp
    Now enter adb shell like this:

Code:
    adb shell
    You will now see a "$" prompt.

Type:

Code:
    ./data/local/temp/rage
    Now wait until you get kicked all the way back to your terminal prompt. If you see the "$", don't do anything, just keep waiting! When it's done you'll be all the way out of ADB, which you will now need to restart.

5) Get back to the adb shell:

Code:
    adb shell
    Instead of a "$" prompt, you should now see a "#". Congratulations! You're rooted!

Now to make it stick:

6) (This is the part that people were getting stuck on) Now you need to remount your /system directory as read/write, so type:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p12 /system
    Your /system directory is now mounted read/write.

Now to move the tools we pushed earlier into their new homes:

Code:
    cd /system/bin
    cat /data/local/temp/su > su
    cat /data/local/temp/busybox > busybox
    chmod 4755 su
    chmod 4755 busybox
    At this point, you may want to remove the files you put in /data/local/temp: This is just housekeeping, the files won't hurt anything if you leave them there.

(optional)
    Code:
    rm /data/local/temp/su
    rm /data/local/temp/busybox
    rm /data/local/temp/rage
    Then reboot:

Code:
    reboot
    When your phone reboots, go to the market and download Superuser.

This worked for me, hopefully it will work for you!

-Z

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. stetsonaw

stetsonaw Well-Known Member

3. tjac357

tjac357 New Member

this should be the same procedure for a mac, right?
  4. Haxcid

Haxcid Well-Known Member

for the most part. The commands are the same I think. the ADB install will be different.
  5. tjac357

tjac357 New Member

I got the adb working. Only problem when I give the command adb devices before I begin, nothing shows up. A few nights ago I got adb to recognize my droid x, but it's not working on the revo :/ my laptops recognizing it. and both degugging and allowing of non-market apps is on
  6. tjac357

tjac357 New Member

It's all working now. Minus being able to push su or busybox. i got the # like you said meaning i've successfully rooted, but when i go to use titanium backup it says i'm not rooted. Sorry if this is cluttering up the thread, i don't mean to just looking for some help