Revisiting Chrome

Last Updated:

1. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I've used Firefox since switching from Opera back in the day. Today at work I thought I'd try Chrome since EVERYTHING I do on my Droid is basically tied to Google.

My verdict: Not bad. If it weren't so tightly connected to my phone, I wouldn't use it. But there are some great extensions to use in combination with the phone. My favorite? Google Voice. I can reply to SMS message through the browser. I'll probably cancel my text messaging plan. My only lament is Handcent doesn't work with Google Voice, but oh well.

I also like the Calendar functionality built into Chrome.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

If Chrome had a fully working Adblock Plus I would switch over quick. I am so used to never seeing ads on the internet.

3. kyleonfire

kyleonfire Well-Known Member

I love chrome. Its so smooth and fast compared to firefox and IE.

4. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I've been using Chrome since it came out, and they've only made it faster since (rather than slower and more bloaty)...I ONLY use IE when on rare occasion, I am filling something out on the net that gives me a compatibility error...

5. kyleonfire

kyleonfire Well-Known Member

The only time i will even open IE is when I'm filling something out too. They just have to work out compatibility issues and chrome will be perfect for me

6. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

try this!

AdSweep for Greasemonkey

adsweep user script!

7. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member

I've been looking for an adblocker as well. I've used chrome once before but think its here to stay this go around..but I haven't really found it to much with having an android phone I just like it

8. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

I downloaded and installed chrome because I read someplace that it would sync bookmarks and such to the phone but it never did, I don't remember seeing any place to set it up.

9. jackburnt

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

I'm an addonaholic, so I had to have my extensions. Here's a few I'm using and like:

Adblock
    Flashblock
    1click weather
    Google Calendar
    Google reader
    Google Voice
    Metrist (Twitter client, any better ones?)
    Smooth Gestures (gotta have mouse gestures)

10. fox

fox Well-Known Member

i think that's only in the beta or only in the dev version of chrome.

Google Chrome (BETA)

and if you really want the developers version, search for chrome channel changer.

however, the beta and the dev get increasingly unstable. but i've used the dev for a long time and its not that unstable, just some random things everynow and then.

11. jackburnt

Can you pick and choose the bookmarks? Because I'd love to have a single folder that syncs to my Droid because 90% of the bookmarks on my PC I don't want on my phone.

12. fox

fox Well-Known Member

well no. but i wasn't talking about syncing bookmarks to your droid. it's just if you go from different computer to different computer.

although syncing chrome bookmarks to droid browser bookmarks would be awesome. i don't know if there is a way to do that though.

edit: i realize i misread your post about syncing chrome to your phone. :/ sorry.

13. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member

Well guys I loaded the ad extenstion and a few others.. Chromes a keeper. Ads that would pop up on cleveland.com/sports don't, as well as a few other sites that I frequent.. Poof! And there is a speed increase extension but I dont know if it actually does anything but it does seem a bit faster..

14. Doubledee90

Doubledee90 Well-Known Member

I have been using Chrome since it came out for Macs. I like it a lot, its soo fast and has some cool themes for it. I also like how I can just type a google search in the address bar instead of having to go to google.com to search.

15. jmims

jmims Well-Known Member

Eh... I have mixed feelings about Chrome. Sure it's fast and what not, but it's too minimalist for me. Also, for whatever reason, it seemed to have slowed down my laptop quite a bit; to the point where the whole OS operated as if it was years old. I had to uninstall Chrome to get it back up to par. It was quite weird.

16. MisterEff

I am gonna try it. The adblock is nowhere near as good as firefox's where I see no trace of the ads, but maybe I will get used to it.

17. mixpix

mixpix Well-Known Member

I've been using Chrome for a while now, its so much cleaner and easier than other browsers. I love being able to pull tabs off the main window and make a new one.

18. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

I used to love Chrome...But i stopped using it due to it crashing over and over again ultimately making me switch to the slower but surer firefox. I'll give chrome another shot, hopefully it doesnt fail as hard as it did during the first 2 months of its release.

19. MisterEff

It just hides the ads, and does not block them. This is a major downside to me.