• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*Rezound ICS OTA is live Thread*

Some are worried that means thy may cancel it on the rezound. Not gonna happen though. Desire is a much older phone

I think ours is the newest htc phone that doesn't have Ics

not so much cancel it, but if they announced " a short while ago " that it would be on the Desire HD, and now a week later they say no, it kind of leads me to believe that we could be reading a press release on monday saying that the updated schedule for ICS on the Rezound will be 4th quarter 2012.

The only dog I have in this race is that i chose to purchase a used Rezound instead of a new S3 based on reading that ICS would be on the rezound next week...not the end of the world if it isn't, but it would be nice to be using a current OS on a phone that has been out this long.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
not so much cancel it, but if they announced " a short while ago " that it would be on the Desire HD, and now a week later they say no, it kind of leads me to believe that we could be reading a press release on monday saying that the updated schedule for ICS on the Rezound will be 4th quarter 2012.

The only dog I have in this race is that i chose to purchase a used Rezound instead of a new S3 based on reading that ICS would be on the rezound next week...not the end of the world if it isn't, but it would be nice to be using a current OS on a phone that has been out this long.

Completely agree, after playing with my girls SG3 I really want a ICS phone (WITH SENSE! lol)

Upvote 0
The way I see it is, one of the main selling points of this phone was not only the Beats Audio, but also the fact that people were told the Rezound was getting ICS. If HTC cancels these upgrades, it has potential to be a fatal blow, as HTC would lose a lot of credibility, and who would want to buy future phones based on potentially empty promises of an upgrade to the next software?

Also....see how we haven't even got ICS yet, and some products already have Jelly Bean makes me somewhat uneasy.

Upvote 0
The way I see it is, one of the main selling points of this phone was not only the Beats Audio, but also the fact that people were told the Rezound was getting ICS. If HTC cancels these upgrades, it has potential to be a fatal blow, as HTC would lose a lot of credibility, and who would want to buy future phones based on potentially empty promises of an upgrade to the next software?

Also....see how we haven't even got ICS yet, and some products already have Jelly Bean makes me somewhat uneasy.

Yea, that's how it works though.

There is NO way HTC can cancel ICS for the Rezound. The phone is only 8 months and 1 week old. They may delay it even further (i really hope not though) but they simply can not. It would be a huge PR sh*t storm

Reactions: TheMortallyWounded
Upvote 0
There is NO way HTC can cancel ICS for the Rezound. The phone is only 8 months and 1 week old. They may delay it even further (i really hope not though) but they simply can not. It would be a huge PR sh*t storm
Pretty much this. I mean, the leak is final per HTC. Why it hasn't hit a month later is a little curious...

If it is officially canceled, I'll be on the horn with Verizon getting a new phone. I was assured by reps in both email and in-store that it was coming within days of me purchasing the phone in April. I love my Rezound, but if Verizon isn't supporting it, I feel like they aren't holding up their end of the contract that I agreed to.

Upvote 0
If ICS were to get cancelled, I'd start ranting and raving on every social media site possible about my loss of faith in HTC. I believe in their product, and prefer it over Samsung and Motorola 1,000 to 1. But I wouldn't BUY another phone from them ever again, unless they were kind enough to replace it with something that fulfills the promises of ICS on an HTC with 4G LTE. DInc 4G would be a MINIMUM replacement. Oh, and I have two standard batteries plus the extended battery, car dock, protectors, and a cover. You'd have to replace that too in order to make me happy.

Do you hear me, HTC? Who here is with me? Anybody?

Upvote 0
Pretty much this. I mean, the leak is final per HTC. Why it hasn't hit a month later is a little curious...

If it is officially canceled, I'll be on the horn with Verizon getting a new phone. I was assured by reps in both email and in-store that it was coming within days of me purchasing the phone in April. I love my Rezound, but if Verizon isn't supporting it, I feel like they aren't holding up their end of the contract that I agreed to.

Verizon AND HTC. I'm usually the first to defend HTC but this is getting ridiculous. I'm already at my wit's end with VZW so this is adding insult to injury.

Upvote 0
The press release when the Rezound was announced said that it would have ICS in "early 2012", as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Now not only is it not early, but we're talking about a potential other delay? Talking about phones on social media may seem appropriate, but people, we're adults. At what point do we consider a class action lawsuit? Sure the phone is great, but wasn't the promise of ICS a MAJOR part of why we all bought it?

Upvote 0
The press release when the Rezound was announced said that it would have ICS in "early 2012", as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Now not only is it not early, but we're talking about a potential other delay? Talking about phones on social media may seem appropriate, but people, we're adults. At what point do we consider a class action lawsuit? Sure the phone is great, but wasn't the promise of ICS a MAJOR part of why we all bought it?
That's difficult. If such a lawsuit (or lawsuite as we came to call it on the Eris boards) were to happen, one of two things would come from it:

1. Release of ICS, but potentially not in its complete form. Then you've got angry customers that don't have working phones, which is a huge black-eye for HTC and Verizon.

2. Compensation. Then there would be appeals, appeals, appeals, and by the time the money got back to the customers, you'd get exactly $1.77 minus lawyer fees, so maybe enough to buy a soda from the Pepsi machine down the hall. Maybe.

So while class action is an idea (not one that I support), I think Social Media has become such a powerful tool that it's more effective in the short term, which is what is needed in a situation like a software client release.

Upvote 0
Verizon actually put their promise of an upgrade to ICS in print, on their news web site. They also said/committed to "early 2012." It may show up elsewhere too, but it is certainly on the news site. So for those of you that are getting impatient, you can now read their own words back to them and have a better chance to get whatever restitution you may have in mind.

Here is the link: http: HTC And Verizon Wireless Unveil HTC Rezound

Upvote 0
Good reminder. But keep in mind that words like "soon" and "early" are subjective and very open-ended. While July-August probably doesn't equate to "Early 2012" to anyone with an ounce of common sense, it does not hold up to the legal definition of a promise. However, it does mean that we have many reasons to gripe about if we don't hear from any fellow Rezound owners next week that ICS is here.

Oh, and "will be available" can be read as "hey, didn't you install the leak?" Lawyers can be sneaky. If it said "4.0 will be pushed in Q1 2012" then they'd have a problem.

Upvote 0
Good reminder. But keep in mind that words like "soon" and "early" are subjective and very open-ended. While July-August probably doesn't equate to "Early 2012" to anyone with an ounce of common sense, it does not hold up to the legal definition of a promise.

I disagree - when a company purposely uses vague terms like "soon" and "early", legal rulings generally applied are exactly as you put - what a normal person, applying common sense, would interpret or expect them to mean. No doubt when they used the terms, they meant to give themselves some leeway between, say, February and May - but July is in no sense "soon" (from November), nor is it remotely "early" in 2012.

If what we're looking at is a matter of them holding back the updates for marketing or sales reasons, then they've commited what, in my opinion, is consumer fraud - and clearly, the negative press that they've heard about it doesn't seem to be speeding up their process, as far as any of us know...

Upvote 0
If ICS were to get cancelled, I'd start ranting and raving on every social media site possible about my loss of faith in HTC. I believe in their product, and prefer it over Samsung and Motorola 1,000 to 1. But I wouldn't BUY another phone from them ever again, unless they were kind enough to replace it with something that fulfills the promises of ICS on an HTC with 4G LTE. DInc 4G would be a MINIMUM replacement. Oh, and I have two standard batteries plus the extended battery, car dock, protectors, and a cover. You'd have to replace that too in order to make me happy.

Do you hear me, HTC? Who here is with me? Anybody?

I'm with you. But only if we never get an official OTA which I NO WAY believe has any likelihood of happening. If may be delayed (no way to know that yet) and that will really stink but it WILL come, eventually

Lawsuit would be completely frivolous IMO. People always bring that up.. in the Eris days, I heard it talked about in the Incredible days. Someone will always bring it up, it is not viable though

I agree with Mortal (or whomever said it), social media is the way to go. No company (verizon, htc, etc) wants to get creamed all over the webernets. Places like phandroid, AF, AC, twitter, g+, FB have incredible power to influence the masses. It is that we must utilize (in a constructive matter) if we hope to really let them know how we feel

Good reminder. But keep in mind that words like "soon" and "early" are subjective and very open-ended. While July-August probably doesn't equate to "Early 2012" to anyone with an ounce of common sense, it does not hold up to the legal definition of a promise. However, it does mean that we have many reasons to gripe about if we don't hear from any fellow Rezound owners next week that ICS is here.

Oh, and "will be available" can be read as "hey, didn't you install the leak?" Lawyers can be sneaky. If it said "4.0 will be pushed in Q1 2012" then they'd have a problem.

Which is one of the reasons we never get anything CLOSE to specific release dates for anything (phone releases, OS releases, maintenance OTA's). The other reason is that we the consumer would FLIP even more if they HAD said Q1 and couldn't get it out then. We all know we would have though, regardless of what bugs they were having trouble with or whatever

[disclaimer: none of this is to be considered the thoughts/feelings of AF or phandroid, this is all just my opinion:)]

Upvote 0
Perhaps frivolous in the sense that it's likely litigation would drag on beyond a point when the original problem was resolved, but certainly not in the sense that it's either trivial or lacking in seriousness.

I don't feel that a carrier needs to send out updates to a phone when they haven't promised (or marketed) to do so. Clearly, the consumer has no right to an expectation of it - rather, it's more likely in the company's best interest to get it out, for the purpose of reducing calls that come into their technical support center (and of course for the "good will" value of the release).

But in this case, we're dealing with what is at least a consumer matter that at this point is bordering on fraud, and their lack of transparency about the delay is frustrating at best.

I work in IT, and am of course very familiar with slipped release dates. I'm not happy about the delay of ICS, but would at least be more accepting of it if I knew that it was a result of some sort of bug-fixing. However, as it stands, we don't - and are left to speculate what we all are, frankly, which is that VZ is looking to make sure that the RAZR line is given priority before us.

Upvote 0
I don't feel that a carrier needs to send out updates to a phone when they haven't promised (or marketed) to do so. Clearly, the consumer has no right to an expectation of it - rather, it's more likely in the company's best interest to get it out, for the purpose of reducing calls that come into their technical support center (and of course for the "good will" value of the release).

I don't really disagree with anything you said but the above ^ I definitely wanted to hit on. It is most definitely in their best interest. Seriously, if they had said when it released, "This phone will definitely NOT be getting ICS" how many of us would have actually purchased the phone?

It is EXPECTED that we will get it. I'm not one of those (nothing against anyone if they are) "They don't owe us anything, be happy with the phone the way you bought it" people. If someone feels that way then power to them. I too am in the IT world, I want the latest and greatest (or at least the latest and greatest before the real latest and greatest was released).

I just don't feel like a lawsuit is anything to even consider (again just my opinion). Social media is the way to go. If HTC were to cancewl this they would get CRUCIFIED every where, and justifiably so at that. They would lose ALL credibility.

We WILL be getting ICS no matter what. Question is when.

And while I don't agree with it I understand why they don't wanna release any details. I mean image they say that there is a bug with the camera holding the release up, then a week goes by. They will have people SCREAMING and carrying on about how incompetent they are, no way it should take this long to fix one simple thing. You know I'm right.

So help them if they give us anything close to a date/time period. People will FLIP if, for any reason, they don't see it by that month/date/quarter, etc. People will threaten to leave the platform/carrier, will threaten to sue (;))

Make no mistake, I'm totally jonesin for some ICS love. I
Which is exactly why I choose HTC. Moto is almost like apple to me. Avoid at all costs.

Hmm, I'm not a moto fan but you do realize Google owns Moto right?

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
If HTC were to cancewl this they would get CRUCIFIED every where, and justifiably so at that.
HTC is already getting crucified for cancelling the ICS upgrade for the Desire HD. In their own blog, no less.

Here is the HTC blog: Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich Updates

Scroll down past the photo of Mr. Darren Krape, the "Global Community Manager," and you'll see the comments posted. Just before the "Reactions" heading there is a gray bar you can click on to load more comments. This morning I looked at 4 pages of them and was still looking at fresh ones from today! By now there are even more. You'll also see that there are plenty of comments from foreign countries, in Japanese, Russian, German, etc. They all translate to the same thing as the english comments, utter outrage.

I hope that they learn their lesson from this drubbing that they are taking over just one phone (so far, just one phone).

If any of you want to vent directly to HTC you can post on the blog, above, or try their Twitter "feed" or whatever. If you are really mad about the delay, GIVE 'EM HELL WHERE THEY CAN HEAR YOU! You can get to their Twitter stuff from a link on the HTC home page. Once you are on the HTC twitter page, click the "All" link above the tweets. There is a tweet from HTC answering Jellydroid13's question about when the One S is going to get Jelly Bean. Still planning, says HTC.

Upvote 0
Having followed so many of the forums here, I've found that all manufacturers get the same love. HTC, Samsung, Moto...all have the SLOWEST updates in the phone world depending on what forum you're in at the time. :D

Although some bottlenecking can occur at the manufacturer level, so much of it occurs at the carrier level. By the time they run it through the wringer, add the bloat, etc.

I get upset too but at the end of the day, it's only a phone.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I get upset too but at the end of the day, it's only a phone.

Amen. It isn't worth calling the BBB or the FCC or taking legal action. My only suggestion to get on the blogs was because if you want to make some noise, doing it here isn't going to do anything. I do plan on vocalizing my opinion, should it change for the worse about HTC. So far, I'm not blaming them... I believe that HTC did their job and that VZW is holding everything up. It's easy to believe that. But in the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder if there is some underlying hardware issue. If so, I would want a replacement. If HTC can't make it work, then they should do their best to satisfy the customers if they want their customers to stay their customer.

As far as VZW goes, the whole bean-counting, profit-mongering horde could stand to be replaced. Maybe Google could buy them.

Upvote 0
Yes I do. Android is so prolific now that I don't think Google could just confine it to one manufacturer if that is what you were thinking. If it is truly open source then it will remain so. I just find it sad that big V promotes the moto phones over everything else. Dropping all your eggs into one basket is not always smart.

I don't think VZW and moto are in cahoots or anything. I do think that htc and VZW don't see eye to eye for whatever reason

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones