• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Right-click takes too long Windows 10

Has it always been like that, or just started getting slow responding to right-clicks? Anything you installed recently, updates, etc.

My father has a good Windows 7 laptop, good spec, but 10 ran like molasses on it. So removed it, and went back to 7. :thumbsupdroid: On the other hand I've got a cheap tablet, came with 8.1, upgraded to 10, but I nuked it and done a 10 install clean, and that runs a treat.

Upvote 0
Has it always been like that, or just started getting slow responding to right-clicks? Anything you installed recently, updates, etc.

My father has a good Windows 7 laptop, good spec, but 10 ran like molasses on it. So removed it, and went back to 7. :thumbsupdroid: On the other hand I've got a cheap tablet, came with 8.1, upgraded to 10, but I nuked it and done a 10 install clean, and that runs a treat.
It probably happened after I install something idk. But I don't think that this is the problem

Upvote 0
"There are unused icons on your desktop. Would you like me to clean them up for you?"
e4b66a17a13bf6c7eaba2d2820d2cfdc.jpg

“It looks like you're writing a letter. Would you like help?"

Upvote 0
How much crap are you storing on your desktop?

The only thing that should be on your desktop is shortcuts. Period. Shortcuts to files, folders, applications, whatever.

Lots of people drop files all over their desktop, then complain that their computer is sluggish. Well, every time you make an explorer call (like right clicking) the OS has to process ALL of that. Shortcuts are tiny and process quickly...lots of files and folders, not so much.

So if you're one of those people whose desktop looks like this:

Cluttered+Desktop.jpg

Then clean it up. Odds are things will work better. ;)
No man. I have a clean desktop. I don«t have a lot of things

Reactions: rootabaga
Upvote 0
Although I think a registry cleanup might help I have recently had the exact issue on my newly rebuilt PC. So I was sure there was no junk loaded yet. In fact to be sure I reloaded windows from scratch.
In the end I isolated the issue down to Intel's Graphics Driver.
When I uninstalled the driver the Desktop right click was snappy as usual.
It was very frustrating. Try that you might find you have a similar issue.
I have subsequently downloaded the latest Intel driver and I think they have resolved the issue themselves.

Upvote 0
Although I think a registry cleanup might help I have recently had the exact issue on my newly rebuilt PC. So I was sure there was no junk loaded yet. In fact to be sure I reloaded windows from scratch.
In the end I isolated the issue down to Intel's Graphics Driver.
When I uninstalled the driver the Desktop right click was snappy as usual.
It was very frustrating. Try that you might find you have a similar issue.
I have subsequently downloaded the latest Intel driver and I think they have resolved the issue themselves.

yes, good detective work.

I once, in a fit of stupidity allowed one of the 'online driver checker programs' look at my heavily used Desktop PC.... it is used all day, everyday, and I have just never, ever, allowed any Driver Upgrades Period !!!

If it worked when it left the factory, then by damn it will continue to work until the day I die.

But, on this one occasion, in the wee fuzzy hours of no sleep, I clicked 'yes' and it upgraded my graphics card driver.... bingo! black screen! no video at all..... color me super pissed.

I got up, drove 20 miles into town to work and brought home a green screen VGA style. Plugged that in and it lit up right away on the VGA adapter....

then I started a search for the original factory drivers, found that, put it back, problem solved.
Hard Lesson Learned.

Upvote 0
I suspect what you have is Registry clutter.

Try out CCleaner using only the Registry cleaner tool.
Be cautious with the other tools, you can get way too wild with it.
Especially with cleaning out History items, all of a sudden you loose all your passwords :(
I've tried to clean registry and browser, but I think this is related to an application installed. After I format my computer this problem was usual and after that it stop happen but when I install something(I don't know what) it starts happening again

Upvote 0
I don't think that this is related with drives for sure

Well a bad drive can definitely cause the system to become sluggish, laggy, unresponsive, and could stop it completely. I've had that myself, when a HDD was dying, could hear it doing the click-of-death. And replacing it fixed it of course.

Upvote 0
Well a bad drive can definitely cause the system to become sluggish, laggy, unresponsive, and could stop it completely. I've had that myself, when a HDD was dying, could hear it doing the click-of-death. And replacing it fixed it of course.
What can I do to make this work? Should I install the recent ones or search for the one that I want?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones