• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
So I got a NEW (not refurb) Eris today (after sitting in a VZW store for 2 hours ) because of this exact issue and guess what...even with the official 2.1 OTA (1.47 HBOOT) my phone still only rings about three times before switching to voicemail...arrgggggghhhhhh...

Sorry to hear that. If your slot cycle is set to 0 or 1, you might consider other factors such as tower location, etc.

Upvote 0
Well the problem is my wife's phone rings for 8 rings still where mine is just three...and according to VZW both of our phones are setup EXACTLY the same...so I have no idea what to do anymore...

Trade phones with your wife?

Just kidding.. it might be a good idea to carefully and thoroughly check out the settings yourself firsthand, John.

Perhaps the Verizon rep made an oversight.

Upvote 0
Well spoke with another tech rep this evening...we finally got to the bottom of it...come to find out my phone has a TX area code and my wife's has a OK area code...OK voicemail is setup differently than TX believe it or not...TX has the more standard vmail system and the amount of rings cannot be changed...however OK has an older version where ring count can still be adjusted...but OK will soon be updated to current vmail system like TX.

Does that sound possible or more like an excuse to not have to deal with my problem???

My wife and I's phones are setup EXACTLY the same software and setting wise according to numerous tech reps...our phone number area code is the ONLY difference it seems...

So bottom line, looks like I'm stuck with my low ring count...I can't believe I haven't heard from more Eris users about this issue...surely after going through three phones now I'm not the only one frustrated with just three to four rings before voicemail?!

Upvote 0
Well spoke with another tech rep this evening...we finally got to the bottom of it...come to find out my phone has a TX area code and my wife's has a OK area code...

Does that sound possible or more like an excuse to not have to deal with my problem???

My wife and I's phones are setup EXACTLY the same software and setting wise according to numerous tech reps...our phone number area code is the ONLY difference it seems...

Different area codes assigned to your phones but you live in the same area code?

I take it you purchased your devices in different locations. If not, I'm puzzled about that.

But I do have an experience that your situation reminded me of: briefly, late last year I purchased a Nexus One from Google online along with T-Mobile service. The phone came to me and I went through the activation procedure but never could get reliable service; calls and messages were truncated every day, and I missed calls all day long, it turns out.

Well, I live and work in the 402 area but they'd assigned me an area code three states away because they had no towers in my location (I did not find out why the foreign area code was in my N1 until I'd cancelled my account and sent the phone back).

It turned out I'd missed calls all day long, and the few I got were, to me, one or two rings but to the caller many more, like 5, 6 or 7. Voice mail was never set up.

Perhaps they're not mistaken about the area code assignment causing your problem; the fact that you and your wife have the same settings speaks to that.

I'd get together with the techs and resolve the issue once and for all by biting the bullet and getting a new number assigned to the phone.

Reactions: John58543
Upvote 0
Well the only reason we have different area codes is because I wanted to keep my phone number...just a bunch of 3's and 7's real easy to remember and I've had the same number for 7 years...I might go ahead and bite the bullet but according to the tech Oklahoma is going to switch to the same vmail system TX is on soon...so I'd be back in the same boat I guess...

Upvote 0
Well the only reason we have different area codes is because I wanted to keep my phone number...just a bunch of 3's and 7's real easy to remember and I've had the same number for 7 years...I might go ahead and bite the bullet but according to the tech Oklahoma is going to switch to the same vmail system TX is on soon...so I'd be back in the same boat I guess...

I'd be having a long conversation with somebody in the tech department about the issue, which do me seems intolerable.

The one thing I keep harping about in here is "why keep a phone that won't even function reliable as a telephone."

Not functioning as a web browser or facebook syncing system is one thing, but a telephone? No way.. that needs to be resolved post haste, amigo, if it's my Eris; I tossed a Nexus One over that particular issue. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones