• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ring Tones/Samsung Acclaim

Please forgive me if this has been addressed!

I just picked up the Acclaim. I was a Crackberry moving up to Android with US Cellular. I transferred my ringtones from my BB to the Acclaim with Bluetooth and actually found them on the Acclaim, but can't figure out how to use them.

How do I assign ringtones, or get them to the correct folder!

Any help would be appreciated!

Sylvia

With your phone connected to a computer, create a directory on the memory card named Ringtones (Case-sensitive). You might also want to create another named Notifications. Into these, you can copy any ringtones you'd like to use on the phone. Do make sure the first letter is capitalized, as Linux is case-sensitive.

Upvote 0
The folder has to be named "Ringtones," not "ringtones." Linux, which Android is, sees the difference in case. Ringtones, ringtones, and RINGTONES would be looked at as three different directories to Linux, whereas in Windows, they'd be seen as copies of the same thing. So, rename your folder with the ringtones to Ringtones. You may have to then unmount, remove, and reinstall your MicroSD card for Android to pick up the change.

Also, if you want any of your tones to be used as notifications (email, sms, alarms, etc), you will need to create a folder name Notifications (note the capital N) and copy tones to it. Ringtones are only for phone calls.

Upvote 0
wonderful, if you went into Contacts, selected the desired contact, then went to Menu > Options > Ringtone and set the ringtone you wanted there, it should work, if your phone hasn't been altered by a 3rd party application.

cheyenne, I believe that Handsent SMS may allow that functionality, but keep in mind my response to wonderful! 3rd party apps may alter things in ways we don't anticipate or want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones