Ringdroid how to tips

Last Updated:

1. Robinelli

Robinelli Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

To save a specific ring tone to one person, you can go into music player and select the ringtone (which was previously created in ring droid) and select add new contact. Put in the persons name and number. It will then link the "new"contact to the one already in your contact list. There should be an option to add to existing contact but it isn't showing yet so this is the only way I've found to set individual tones using ringdroid.

Advertisement
  2. dissident75

dissident75 Well-Known Member

If I understand what you want to do which is be able to assign ringtones to the gmail synced contacts, I may have a better way.

I've been going nuts trying to figure this out and the simplest solution is to make your ringtone in ringdroid, and then use Ringo Lite (free in the market place) to assign it. I just tested it and it works.

That was my biggest issue with this phone, that combined with launcher pro makes this phone perfect.

3. Robinelli

Robinelli Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Running to the market....be right back with my update!

4. jree

jree Well-Known Member

How are you guys having trouble with added custom ringtones made with or without any program. All you need to do is copy the contacts to your phone and then go to each individual number that you want to use a custom tone for by bringing up that person name and then select edit. Scroll down to ringtone and change it to whatever you want. If you see contacts names twice you go change the display options in the phonebook and deselect sim and make sure phone is the only selection.

Its really easy, nothing like the iphone at all. No special app is needed to make it work. Good luck to you guys

5. dissident75

The point is There's no easy way to copy the contacts en masse. I'd rather just use the gmail contact management than try to keep multiple lists updated. I have a few hundred contacts and would like to keep things simple. While what you posted is easy and may work ( though truthfully it seems to be cumbersome and annoying) it lacks the elegance of the proper android contact management. This ,while utilizing an app, is still a more elegant and simple method.

And really when you get down to it isn't that the point of having a smart phone? To make your life easier.

6. XtrDroid

XtrDroid New Member

I ran into this problem myself when trying to form a custom group on the phone. Unless the contacts are stored on the phone it will not let you select from any of the synced contacts when adding to the group. I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how to get all my contacts into my phone and had little success.

And then the solution just hit me. And I almost slapped myself for not thinking of this earlier. Having all my google contacts already synced to my phone. I went into contacts, clicked menu, hit the more options. I then hit Import/Export. After that I selected Export to SD card. Once that was done I repeated the steps but instead selected Import from SD card. I selected the option to import the contacts to the phone instead of to google and DONE. All contacts are now on your phone and already linked to your google contacts. You can now create groups and select custom ringtones for any of your contacts. I also think its a bit silly the phone forces you to have that contacts on your phone but I still love the phone. ;)

phillipbess likes this.
  7. dissident75

That is a good solution however what happens if you use google to manage your contacts primarily? There is something to be said for managing your contacts with a real keyboard on a pc.

My concern would be having to consistently redo this and either having multiple copies of contacts or consistently have to copy contacts to the phoned singly which I'm not sure is even possible since I tried to do that initially.

I have to admit this would work but I have a feeling that to keep this up consistently would generate either more work for each contact as you add them or each export and import would create multiple copies of each contact which would make phone contact management a pain. Its my understanding that deleting multiple contacts at a time is either impossible or rather difficult.

For someone like myself with hundreds of contacts this is simply not an adequate solution.

And yes I actually have that many contacts, separated into various groups.

8. dissident75

Of course I'm making the assumption that the contact management app as customized by samsung would not have the feature to automatically remove or consolidate multiple identical entries.

While I love the hardware samsung has designed, I feel their customized versions of software leaves something to be desired.

Also please don't mind my typos. I'm still getting used to swype. My last few posts have been using it in an attempt to train myself in its usage and to pick up speed. A few mistakes are sure to pop up.