• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ringer Lag - Rings on the other end a few times before ringing Hero

I have the MSL for CellularSouth customers. I found it for a previous phone and it was the same for the Hero. I have adjusted my settings without calling CS or tech support...

I would appreciate if I could get the CS MSL code. I am experiencing a lot of lag with rings. I looked at my settings, and my slot index is at 2. Definately want to change that. I'm tired of missing important calls! Thanks.

Upvote 0
I tried the chat once more and they wouldn't give it to me so I called the advanced tech # and the lady had never heard of this, but finally gave me the code to try it out...

I've been reading through this thread and, from what I'm gathering, once you have your MSL number you can make this "slot cycle index" adjustment yourself?

What - does a menu pop up or something?

I'm having the same problem with my phone. Many of my calls go to voice mail because my end doesn't ring for the first time until after four rings on the caller's end. Depending how fast I can get it out of my pocket will determine whether I can catch the call. Very frustrating. I really need to get this fixed.

Upvote 0
dial ##DATA# on the phone and select edit mode then change slot cycle to 1 or 0, whichever you want.. It made a big difference for me... Good Luck, getting your MSL number is the only hard part....

I have my MSL code. When I enter it and select "Edit mode" I don't see how I can modify the "slot cycle". While in the "Edit mode" I only seem to have two choices, modify my "Mobile Directory Number (MDN)" or the "MSID". No other options seem to be available.

I'm wondering how all the people in this thread, once they've obtained their MSL code are making these changes themselves.

Also, the Sprint rep said that such a modification was unauthorized. Although she gave me my MSL code when I requested it, she then said, "You realize this conversation is being recorded. Any unauthorized modification you make to your phone will invalidate your contract."

Upvote 0
Had no problems getting my MSL number from advanced technical support. No noticeable battery drain, and it gives me 1-2 more rings. Thank You! Gonna do this for my girlfriends phone when i get home.

How are you changing this setting?

I also have my MSL number ... but now what?

I enter ##(MSL number)#
I then select "edit mode"

But, from there, I seem to only have two selections ... none of them have anything to do with "slot cycle index".

How are you doing this?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have never had a problem getting an MSL from a CS. I just call, give them my account password and as for the MSL for the # I need it for. Simple as that.

They gave me my MSL code also, but I could tell the Tech Rep was reluctant to do so. He re-asked me for my Spring password before giving it to me.

I have changed my slot cycle from 2 to 1. I've noticed some improvement. It's acceptable. I might try 0 and see if it improves even more.

I'm wondering if every HTC Hero owner is experiencing this difficulty.

I think a lot of the kids (who are more prone to text than call) probably do not even realize they have this problem. In general, I would say people text more throughout their day than make voice calls. That may be masking the problem that exists on all HTC Heor phones. In other words, the only people who are noticing the problem are those who receive a lot of calls.

There is almost 2 second delay from the time my phone's screen indicates I have an incoming call until my ringtone starts to sound. And, really, the ringtone is what really matters.

Upvote 0
You see, to me, changing how long the phone rings before going to voicemail does not really address the issue.

The solution should NOT be to allow the phone to ring longer, rather, the phone should ring SOONER.

Did you read this thread? Just asking???

This setting has nothing to do with the phone ringing longer... It changes the sample rate with which the phone communicates to the system, checking for incoming calls, thereby making a quicker acknowledgment when a call is sent to the phone. The FIX in this thread has accomplished exactly what you say, I know because as in my post here it changed when MY PHONE RANG with an incoming call as opposed to what the caller who was calling me heard.

Other notes:

The MSL is PHONE specific and is different for each and every phone.
(Master Subsidy Lock) A numeric code (password) that prevents a user from accessing certain technical settings of a phone. It is specifically designed to prevent a phone from being reprogrammed to work with a different carrier (service provider), now although that is technically possible it is not really because the Sprint Phones are set to work on specific frequency and bandwidths which other carriers don't operate on. It could be used to COPY your phone though so guard it. Also, do not change anything you do not know what you are touching, only what is instructed here in this thread.

Anyway, as with some of the previous questions in this post too, PLEASE READ THE THREAD PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING CHANGES, always too prior to posting with a question that is already answered, i.e., the ##MSL# post... doing it all wrong, should be ##data#...

Regards
:cool:

:)

Upvote 0
My suggestion to everyone affected by this, would be to politely call Sprint Advanced Technical Support (1.877.345.7895), explain to them the situation (the more technical detail you can give, the more they help...at least in my experience), explain what you'd like to do (via the ##3283# menu, using your MSL). If they don't know what you're talking about (as mine didn't, I basically read the info that I've gathered from the boards) explain it to them. Have them work with you by getting your MSL and follow the steps.

Good luck everyone! Report back with results if you can.

Complete success - the phone ringer sounds just after the first ring! Thanks so much! I'm going to try this on Spouse's Pre...

Upvote 0
Complete success - the phone ringer sounds just after the first ring! Thanks so much! I'm going to try this on Spouse's Pre...

I have changed my cycle slot to ZERO and I experienced only slight improvement. It is very unpredictable. If my phone is "awake" I might get lucky and get two rings. It NEVER does better than that. NEVER!

On average, I get 3 rings. However, just today, I got a call from my sister and as I answered it (after about 2 seconds of ringing), she said, "Oh - I almost hung up." I asked how many times the phone rang. She said 5 or 6 times.

I seriously hope the HTC tech team is aware of this problem and intend to fix it with the next phone update.

Again, I think this problem is much more widespread than many HTC Hero owners are even aware of. And that's because of the proliferation of texting. Most people simply do not get that many incoming voicecalls anymore. And those who do - are acutely aware of this problem.

Some Hero owners are probably just shrugging their shoulders and are not noticing that they have experienced an uptick in "missed calls". They don't get that many so they really don't care. They are oblivious to the underlying problem.

Upvote 0
I'll say it again, I have had this problem with EVERY Sprint phone I have owned, and I have been a customer since 03! This is not just an HTC issue, and it seems to affect some phones more than others even among like models. After changing my c.s. to 1 I am not having a problem, my phone will ring at least three 3 times on my end, and up to 5 or 6 times!

As far as incoming voice calls, I sometimes see 30-50 calls a day, so I am aware of what is going on. I am starting to think part of the problem may be on the tower side of things; just because you are in a Sprint area does not necessarily mean you are on a Sprint tower.

And memphis, if you never get better than 2 rings, how do you average 3?

Upvote 0
I'll say it again, I have had this problem with EVERY Sprint phone I have owned, and I have been a customer since 03! This is not just an HTC issue, and it seems to affect some phones more than others even among like models. After changing my c.s. to 1 I am not having a problem, my phone will ring at least three 3 times on my end, and up to 5 or 6 times!

As far as incoming voice calls, I sometimes see 30-50 calls a day, so I am aware of what is going on. I am starting to think part of the problem may be on the tower side of things; just because you are in a Sprint area does not necessarily mean you are on a Sprint tower.

And memphis, if you never get better than 2 rings, how do you average 3?

No, it is not just a "Sprint thing." There is definitely some issue with the HTC Hero. Too many people who have had OTHER phones with Sprint have not had this problem.

I live near a large city (Memphis), so it's not like I live in the back woods of the Adirondacks. I have access to a Sprint tower.

When I say I never get "better" than 2 rings ... by "better", I mean LESS than 2 rings at the caller's end. Why, what did you think I meant by "better"?

The phone has a bug. There are simply too many people reporting this issue who never had this issue before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones