• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ringer Lag - Rings on the other end a few times before ringing Hero

Is this fine to do if you're rooted and running a custom rom (Fresh 1.1)? The Sprint representative is just giving you the MSL, not looking at your system settings or anything?
My coworker has definitely has said my phone tends to ring a bunch before I pick up.

Also, dumb question; do I need to call Sprint from a different phone?

Upvote 0
Is this fine to do if you're rooted and running a custom rom (Fresh 1.1)? The Sprint representative is just giving you the MSL, not looking at your system settings or anything?
My coworker has definitely has said my phone tends to ring a bunch before I pick up.

Also, dumb question; do I need to call Sprint from a different phone?

I cannot speak on the rooted issue, however I called and just said "I need my MSL# to change the slot number so that it rings quicker on my side of the line" ... and the lady was like "uhhh... ok" and gave it to me.

I am not rooted though. I don't think they know that information.

Upvote 0
Have you found out anything yet?

No, haven't had a chance to do anything else yet. It will probably be next week sometime, though. I'm going camping all weekend.

I will try to call back and see if I can get a different CS Tech, but I'm not hopeful. The one I talked to didn't know what the MSL# was... she put me on hold, and talked to higher level support, who wouldn't give her the MSL for my phone, and gave her the "may cause other problems" line...
I'll try to talk directly to the upper level support next time...

Upvote 0
I didn't say it was entirely a Sprint issue, but the combination of tower lag and phone lag are more noticeable on the Hero, and my Touch Pro, and my Mogul, and my A900, and...like I said, every Sprint phone I have had has had it, some worse than others, but all nonetheless.
You are correct. It is the nature of CDMA technology. It will always happen.

Oh, and unless something at Sprint has changed within the past year, Sprint controls the Slot Cycle setting at the network level, meaning you can set your phone to 0, 1, 2, 3, etc., and eventually the network will override whatever your phone is set to and revert you back to 2 (though your phone will continue display whatever setting you selected).

The rings you hear when you are calling someone (or someone hears when they are calling you) from a cell phone are just created by the network to make you "feel" better that the phone is working properly. The number of rings you hear in the earpiece has nothing to do with how many rings the receiver of your call will hear (or how many their network will perceive).

Upvote 0
You are correct. It is the nature of CDMA technology. It will always happen.

Oh, and unless something at Sprint has changed within the past year, Sprint controls the Slot Cycle setting at the network level, meaning you can set your phone to 0, 1, 2, 3, etc., and eventually the network will override whatever your phone is set to and revert you back to 2 (though your phone will continue display whatever setting you selected).

The rings you hear when you are calling someone (or someone hears when they are calling you) from a cell phone are just created by the network to make you "feel" better that the phone is working properly. The number of rings you hear in the earpiece has nothing to do with how many rings the receiver of your call will hear (or how many their network will perceive).

uggghhhh that is whats happ to me(it does show 2 after a lil while when i go in to check it after i switch it to zero)... i wish i knew that b4 i went thru the fight to get my msl (it took 2 days and 4 reps b4 i got it) is there anyway to prevent Sprint from switching it back to 2????

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones